Medicine 2021 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants

Watch
Whatisizekiah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ensoetre)
Well a low UCAT score is the main reason I didn’t get any offers last year so I plan to get a high score in that this time round
Wbu
I applied this year. Got 4 interviews and 3 offers but was rejected on results day as I missed the grades. Appeals might work on one grade but probably not the other.

Not sure if I will resit maths next year or not.

I’m kind of scared of messing up the UKCAT like I’m not sure if it’s a thing for people to get worse over the years
lolqwertyzxc
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I'm taking a gap year and I haven't received the grades that I need to apply for medicine. I want to resit my exams, but do universities require the Autumn sitting, or will the summer 2021 sittings have equal weight? I know that the Autumn sitting will count as a first sitting but what about the 2021 summer sitting?
GGmedd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys,

I had an offer of ABB for med (widening access) but I received AAC. I’ve asked my sixth form to appeal the C grade but I’m not sure if it will be successful because I got a C in my mocks but my CAG was a B. If my appeal isn’t successful I’m looking to resit (I got the C grade in maths) this October. I’m worried that I may not do well enough to get a B since I haven’t dont any a levels maths related work since the end of March. Do you know any resources and tutors which can help me achieve at least a grade B in maths (OCR A).

Anyone else in a similar position? If so what are you planning on doing?

Thanks
mohammedali3869
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lolqwertyzxc)
Hi, I'm taking a gap year and I haven't received the grades that I need to apply for medicine. I want to resit my exams, but do universities require the Autumn sitting, or will the summer 2021 sittings have equal weight? I know that the Autumn sitting will count as a first sitting but what about the 2021 summer sitting?
I'm exactly in your position and need to find the answer. Anyone on here know?
SpaceTravel
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anyone applying for UCAs again this year from the medics who missed conditional offers. Ding Autumn exams, and maybe Summer exams (summer will be called resit)
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by SpaceTravel)
Anyone applying for UCAs again this year from the medics who missed conditional offers. Ding Autumn exams, and maybe Summer exams (summer will be called resit)
Yes - plenty of people in this thread.
SpaceTravel
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes - plenty of people in this thread.
Any thread by you, please make one, as we are in real mess-up.

Have to do UCAT/ BMAT in the next 4 weeks, prepare for Autumn Exams in the next 6 weeks.

Choose 3 new UNI's as a re-applicant. Also,see which Uni's will accept us now?

We are like the Batsmen who never got to Bat, declared OUT before a chance at doing our exams.
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by SpaceTravel)
Any thread by you, please make one, as we are in real mess-up.

Have to do UCAT/ BMAT in the next 4 weeks, prepare for Autumn Exams in the next 6 weeks.

Choose 3 new UNI's as a re-applicant. Also,see which Uni's will accept us now?

We are like the Batsmen who never got to Bat, declared OUT before a chance at doing our exams.
Done, you're now all in this thread.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
Ensoetre
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can’t seem to find an answer for this anywhere but if you are reapplying can you use the same personal statement? Obviously there’d be a few changes but do you have to make a completely new PS.
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ensoetre)
I can’t seem to find an answer for this anywhere but if you are reapplying can you use the same personal statement? Obviously there’d be a few changes but do you have to make a completely new PS.
You can reuse the same PS
mohammedali3869
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
OK sure, stand by. Give me 5 mins. I'll move your posts into the new thread.
Please put the link to this thread here, it would be really helpful @ecolier
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by mohammedali3869)
Please put the link to this thread here, it would be really helpful @ecolier
You're in it now.
mohammedali3869
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is anyone in here not doing october exams but instead doing the summer ones?
mohammedali3869
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also guys, Hull York Medical School sent me this email:

Dear Mohammed,

Thank you for your reply.

If you were to re-apply to Hull York Medical School, you would not be classed as re-sit applicant; taking your exams in either the Autumn or next Summer would be seen as your first sit of your A-Levels.

Your application would not been viewed negatively if you choose to sit your A-Levels next Summer rather than this Autumn.

Please note that we are very happy to consider re-applications. Thank you for your continued interest in Hull York Medical School.

Kind regards,

Elaine
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My gut feeling is that most med schools will just abolish their resit policy for this year's cohort and any applicant from this Summer's exams will be considered afresh with their predicted grades, whenever they sit them. Otherwise, it is going to be too difficult for admissions to work out who has got the grades in the autumn, and should go forward with the process, and who hasn't and is taking them in the Summer and is hence a resitter.
But this is just a hunch and I have no evidence to support this yet!
APPLICANT2016
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It would be very unfair if Med schools did NOT consider any resit for this years cohort as their first attempt. Surely a no brainer.
mohammedali3869
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got ABB so when I'm reapplying what do I do. Do i put down my achieved grades and get my tutor to predict me A*A* in the 2 subjects I got a B in? Or do I not put down achieved grades at all and just put predicted A*A*A. @ecolier could you advise on this please? I've been hearing something about that I will have to wait till I resit exams next summer and then apply for 2022 entry. That can't be right coz I ain't taking 2 gap years.
ecolier
Rep:
?
I got ABB so when I'm reapplying what do I do. Do i put down my achieved grades and get my tutor to predict me A*A* in the 2 subjects I got a B in? Or do I not put down achieved grades at all and just put predicted A*A*A. @ecolier could you advise on this please? I've been hearing something about that I will have to wait till I resit exams next summer and then apply for 2022 entry. That can't be right coz I ain't taking 2 gap years.
No, you apply in October 2020 and submit that you got an A in one subject, B in two subjects but you are retaking the latter - you are also predicted 2 A*s.

Then you take your exams in Summer 2021, hopefully with an offer for AA (together with that achieved A) depending on med school. Then wait for Results Day 2021 and cross your fingers!
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You would put down the grades you were given this summer in the achieved and put the ones you are resitting in pending wiht predictions give by your referee.
You can apply in October for 2021 entry with predicted grades, the same as you did this year
ukheman
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have achieved AAA Chemistry Mathematics and Physics was expecting BAA hence didn't have any offers 2020. Chemistry was always my weakest link. Recently re sat UCAT and ready to send off the application for 2021 cycle..Maths and Physics are my best subjects.. I had to spend soo much time doing Chemistry which made me feel my other two A-Levels slipped. I feel I can achieve an A* in both....Wanting to know if I resit Mathematics and Physics Summer 2021 would this affect my application... as wanting to add Oxford into the mix.. and I have too much free time on my hands.. I simply can not fill up my spare time doing work experience until Oct 2021...Am I being crazy ? and best not risking it..???
Last edited by ukheman; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (9)
29.03%
Less motivated (22)
70.97%

Watched Threads