Not sure whether I have grounds for an appeal.

Watch
downgradeddjinn
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I sat AS Level Chemistry last year with exam board WJEC. So we still have AS Levels which count towards 40% of the final grade. Anyways the total A-Level is 500 UMS and 200 of them are allocated to AS exams. I managed to achieve 200 UMS, through hard work.

This year I was supposed to sit the A2 exams to account for the final 300 UMS. But obviously I was unable to.

Come results day I'm shocked and disappointed to find out I only received and A grade rather than an A*. Although I'm a little confused whether I have grounds for an appeal since the Welsh government released this document: https://gov.wales/minister-education...er-their-grade

Unfortunately there's no A* at the AS level. But I feel like I've been unfairly treated. I was 20% over the threshold for an A and if A* had been a thing at AS Level would still be 10% over that threshold. Do you think I would win an appeal if I was to put one in? I'm quite stressed since chemistry was my favourite subject and I just want what I deserved and worked hard for.
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by downgradeddjinn)
I sat AS Level Chemistry last year with exam board WJEC. So we still have AS Levels which count towards 40% of the final grade. Anyways the total A-Level is 500 UMS and 200 of them are allocated to AS exams. I managed to achieve 200 UMS, through hard work.

This year I was supposed to sit the A2 exams to account for the final 300 UMS. But obviously I was unable to.

Come results day I'm shocked and disappointed to find out I only received and A grade rather than an A*. Although I'm a little confused whether I have grounds for an appeal since the Welsh government released this document: https://gov.wales/minister-education...er-their-grade

Unfortunately there's no A* at the AS level. But I feel like I've been unfairly treated. I was 20% over the threshold for an A and if A* had been a thing at AS Level would still be 10% over that threshold. Do you think I would win an appeal if I was to put one in? I'm quite stressed since chemistry was my favourite subject and I just want what I deserved and worked hard for.
Have you talked to your centre about this? Do you know what your CAG was?
Although you don't have the ability to appeal as you got your AS grade, your centre might be appealing the whole cohort.
downgradeddjinn
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2500_2)
Have you talked to your centre about this? Do you know what your CAG was?
Although you don't have the ability to appeal as you got your AS grade, your centre might be appealing the whole cohort.
Yes I've talked to them and they have no idea how I wasn't awarded an A*.
Also where are you getting the information that since I have my AS grade that I can't appeal?
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Overtaken by events! It looks like this will give you the chance to appeal, you need to wait to find out the details. In the meantime notify your centre that you want to appeal.
https://www.qualificationswales.org/...r-summer-2020/
downgradeddjinn
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2500_2)
Overtaken by events! It looks like this will give you the chance to appeal, you need to wait to find out the details. In the meantime notify your centre that you want to appeal.
https://www.qualificationswales.org/...r-summer-2020/
Yeah I've put in an appeal now, hopefully I get the result considering I couldn't have got a higher mark if I tried last year. Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.18%
I'm not sure (26)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.74%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.13%
I'm not a current university student (267)
47.34%

Watched Threads