Would anyone here (if around at the time) have voted Tory in 1997?

Watch
TJ1997
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hypothetical, but just thought I'd pose the question.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Possibly. As much as Tony Blair was good and was swept into office on a wave of popularity, I think John Major is the sort of sensible, decent guy I'd be happy to have had continue as PM. He faced a lot of problems that were not caused by him.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, but as far as Tory politicians go, I quite liked Major
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, I could not have voted for the people who privatised the railways in the way that they did. My opinion of John Major is that he was a decent person trying to lead a party of awful people.

Though given the choice of the 1997 Tory Party vs the current government, I'd choose the 1997 Tories in a heartbeat.
monkeybest
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All labour did in 13 years was partake in illegal wars and expand the benefits buffet to such an extent that the welfare gang were living in some of the opulent parts of London having rents of 100k+ being covered by the taxpayer, in fact they still the tories are still having to undo the chaos they created!
TJ1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by L i b)
Possibly. As much as Tony Blair was good and was swept into office on a wave of popularity, I think John Major is the sort of sensible, decent guy I'd be happy to have had continue as PM. He faced a lot of problems that were not caused by him.
Yes agreed. I think I'd have voted for Major in '92, but having 18 years of the Conservatives would've got extremely dull so for all of his decency, Blair was the natural choice in '97 imho and brought back that certain level of toughness to government..
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, I would have. Couldn't stand Blair
TJ1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
No, I could not have voted for the people who privatised the railways in the way that they did. My opinion of John Major is that he was a decent person trying to lead a party of awful people.

Though given the choice of the 1997 Tory Party vs the current government, I'd choose the 1997 Tories in a heartbeat.
Yeah Major did a fair bit, but was undermined by those in his own party. Also, the ERM crisis and coming up against a stronger opponent in Blair made it very difficult to assert that he was the right option to carry on building Britain's future.

The '97 Tories were more right wing than today's Tories imho; apart from austerity, they have been pretty much Blair-lite..
TJ1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by ROTL94)
Yeah, I would have. Couldn't stand Blair
That's fair actually, but amazing to think how untouchable he was in his first term
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TJ1997)
That's fair actually, but amazing to think how untouchable he was in his first term
Yeah, thankfully that cult of personality didn't last very long though
howisladypole
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, quite possibly.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by monkeybest)
...in fact they still the tories are still having to undo the chaos they created!
Such as what? The Conservatives have been in power for 10 years. At some point you can't keep acting like economic woes are still the fault of a previous government.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No.
I will probably never vote for a Labour Party candidate.
But if I had been old enough to vote in the 1997 GE, I would have voted for Tony Blair solely to rid No 10 of John Major and his government's 'back to basics' preachy road to utter chaos.
TJ1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
No.
I will probably never vote for a Labour Party candidate.
But if I had been old enough to vote in the 1997 GE, I would have voted for Tony Blair solely to rid No 10 of John Major and his government's 'back to basics' preachy road to utter chaos.
Where do you stand politically with that?

Yeah I think that's what a lot of people did back then (tactical voting) and why Labour won such a massive landslide.

Wrote my dissertation on Major's government and agreed; back to basics was well intentioned, but only a matter of time before it backfired...
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes government literally wrecked this country
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tony Blair looked really good in 1997 compared to worn out John Major. I would have voted Labour despite currently being a Tory supporter.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would have voted Tory in 97 because I liked Major and he was seeing success on the employment, deficit, growth and foreign policy front. Ironically I don’t think they deserved to lose that election.

I would have voted Labour in 01 and 05 however. Labour in 01 had really done nothing wrong to that point and in 05 I don’t think Howard was really a worthy successor to Blair if one is honest, I also support the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Where do you stand politically with that?

Yeah I think that's what a lot of people did back then (tactical voting) and why Labour won such a massive landslide.

Wrote my dissertation on Major's government and agreed; back to basics was well intentioned, but only a matter of time before it backfired...
Over the years, I've voted for Lib Dem and Conservative candidates.
Including Boris.
Burridge
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by monkeybest)
All labour did in 13 years was partake in illegal wars and expand the benefits buffet to such an extent that the welfare gang were living in some of the opulent parts of London having rents of 100k+ being covered by the taxpayer, in fact they still the tories are still having to undo the chaos they created!
I don't think I've ever seen you write a post that doesn't mention welfare. If you always sing from the same hymn sheet people will get bored.

We've had 3 Tory PMs since Labour left office, at which point do you start holding the Conservatives responsible? Dog whistle politics at its finest.

(Original post by paul514)
Yes government literally wrecked this country
You really believe that. How so?
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Burridge)
You really believe that. How so?
Changes in law and immigration policy to name two for a start.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (75)
21.49%
No (274)
78.51%

Watched Threads