Would anyone here (if around at the time) have voted Tory in 1997?

Watch
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by paul514)
Changes in law and immigration policy to name two for a start.
How did they wreck the country?
Burridge
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by paul514)
Changes in law and immigration policy to name two for a start.
You believe that immigration following '97 has 'literally wrecked' this country? And 'changes in law' seems pretty generalised, anything specific?

Genuinely curious about this one. Blair often ranks as one of the best post war PMs and the New Labour era delivered a whole raft a changes that improved this country and by extension the lives of millions. Some measures will prove unpopular but to make a sweeping statement that his government 'wrecked' the country seems far fetched to say the least.
TJ1997
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
On immigration I can see why the doors were opened up, but New Labour really misread the potential repercussions of globalisation. Also they dealt with asylum pretty poorly with a number of bogus claims actually going through and entitling said individuals to welfare when they couldn't even pass basic citizenship tests. When they abolished the Primary Purpose Rule in '97 (made it difficult to bring foreign spouses into the country), that kick started the increase in immigration that meant since 1998 we haven't seen the number successfully brought down to the tens of thousands..

Having said that, New Labour's domestic track record is impressive and should be commended.
Lucifer323
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by TJ1997)
Hypothetical, but just thought I'd pose the question.
Not me, but there are quite a lot of people who would have voted for the Tories in 1997.
The usual Tory Supporters such as

Mr Liber
Mr Napp
Mr L i b
Mr Paul514
Mr Gundabad
And others...

And Mr Burton who pretends to be a labour supporter but he doesn't convince me...

Most of the above will vote for Tories anyway and under any circumstances. Also most are Brexiteers and they probably reading the Daily Mail and the Sun on a regular basis. If not the Sun then definitely the Daily Telegraph or the Daily Express. So credible these newspapers are...
Last edited by Lucifer323; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (79)
21.82%
No (283)
78.18%

Watched Threads