ooniam9182
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi

I really wanted to go to Nottingham Trent this year to study architecture, unfortunately I only have 2 A-Levels which are a B in design technology and an E in maths, I didn't get marked on my physics because I study it independently therefore my school had no evidence of what grade I would have got, I have an unconditional from Portsmouth but i'd much rather be up north.

I wanted to do a UAL foundation diploma for art and design but I don't really understand it, it gives me 112 ucas points, to get into Trent I need 120, would I be able to add on the 40 ucas points from my a level to this?

I wouldn't want to retake my a levels because it's just too draining, but I was wondering if I should just go to Portsmouth because I doubt anywhere else would take me with my grades, I don't know too much about Portsmouth hence why I'm so hesitant, or shall I just go to Nottingham next year, only thing with that is that I could still fail and then that would be another year not getting into uni
ooniam9182
Rep:
?
Hi

I really wanted to go to Nottingham Trent this year to study architecture, unfortunately I only have 2 A-Levels which are a B in design technology and an E in maths, I didn't get marked on my physics because I study it independently therefore my school had no evidence of what grade I would have got, I have an unconditional from Portsmouth but i'd much rather be up north.

I wanted to do a UAL foundation diploma for art and design but I don't really understand it, it gives me 112 ucas points, to get into Trent I need 120, would I be able to add on the 40 ucas points from my a level to this?

I wouldn't want to retake my a levels because it's just too draining, but I was wondering if I should just go to Portsmouth because I doubt anywhere else would take me with my grades, I don't know too much about Portsmouth hence why I'm so hesitant, or shall I just go to Nottingham next year, only thing with that is that I could still fail and then that would be another year not getting into uni
ooniam9182
Rep:
?
Hi

Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I would say go to Portsmouth
U don't want to risk it
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ooniam9182)
Hi

Yes an art diploma tariff points are in addition to your A level results. It would also be a really positive preparation for an architecture degree.

speak to Portsmouth to ask if they’ll honour your unconditional if you reapply during your art foundation for 2021 entry. They’ll usually be happy to reassure you and then you know that you have a backup option safe.
ooniam9182
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Yes an art diploma tariff points are in addition to your A level results. It would also be a really positive preparation for an architecture degree.

speak to Portsmouth to ask if they’ll honour your unconditional if you reapply during your art foundation for 2021 entry. They’ll usually be happy to reassure you and then you know that you have a backup option safe.
That is such an amazing idea! I didn't think of that, do Russel groups (such as just Nottingham) take this art diploma?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ooniam9182)
That is such an amazing idea! I didn't think of that, do Russel groups (such as just Nottingham) take this art diploma?
Some do some don’t. I know a couple expect you to meet their A level requirements and just consider the fad as a bonus but there’s a lot of variety.

You’ll definitely boost your portfolio through the course.
blursi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I’m in a similar situation. What some of my close friends have said, is that you don’t have to settle for less. In this situation, Portsmouth would be the ‘less’ because like you said, it wasn’t your first choice and it’s not exactly where you want to go.

In this situation where you have the opportunity to do what you want and go where you want (e.g. sit the exams), I know you said that they’re extremely stressful. But what else is stopping you?

What about the positives that could happen? You could do so much better by sitting the exams and even have the chance to apply to better universities. You’d be able to choose what uni you want to go to, rather than settling for a uni that you’re okay with.
During the extra year that you have due to sitting your exams, you could find work experience in the sector that you’re looking to enter in the future, this would help you become a more appealing candidate. Or you could just simply get a job and save up for uni.

There’s a lot of options for you right now. It’s just what’s best for you, for your future.
Think about what you want to come from going to uni, is it the environment? The people that will be studying with you? The uni’s reputation? The course itself? The graduate prospects? The social life? Etc etc etc

I hope that helps you narrow down your options and make your decision!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (373)
56.34%
I don't have everything I need (289)
43.66%

Watched Threads