The Student Room Group

...yuag

Ajahsvb
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ardaaslan3172
I am trying to keep my options open and I was wondering if I can take a path into engineering within having to do a undergraduate.

Go through the apprentice route: on-the-job technican full-time employment with part-time (day-release) study leading to a BTEC diploma. That will also give you the option of converting to a degree with full or part time study at a later stage.

This was my route in: ONC, HNC (both day release four years combined), then entry to a full time B.Sc. (three years), promotions and Chartered status, then finally M.Sc. (two years of which six months full time). Both sponsored by my employer.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
Go through the apprentice route: on-the-job technican full-time employment with part-time (day-release) study leading to a BTEC diploma. That will also give you the option of converting to a degree with full or part time study at a later stage.

This was my route in: ONC, HNC (both day release four years combined), then entry to a full time B.Sc. (three years), promotions and Chartered status, then finally M.Sc. (two years of which six months full time). Both sponsored by my employer.

The best way to do it! Learning by experience and then your employer pays for it all as needed.

I kind of wish I did that.
Original post by trapking
The best way to do it! Learning by experience and then your employer pays for it all as needed.

I kind of wish I did that.

It's not an easy route though. Dedication and tenacity, evenings, weekends and holidays given over to coursework, revision and exams. No escaping living and breathing engineering. Holding down a full time job with pressure to perform, appraisals, improvement objectives etc. On top of which exam failure is not an option as that would mean getting kicked off the course and bye-bye job. Pay is structured and during the training years, quite low. You are expected (and have no real choice) to put up with it until you are fully qualified since, once in the programne, one cannot jump ship.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
It's not an easy route though. Dedication and tenacity, evenings, weekends and holidays given over to coursework, revision and exams. No escaping living and breathing engineering. Holding down a full time job with pressure to perform, appraisals, improvement objectives etc. On top of which exam failure is not an option as that would mean getting kicked off the course and bye-bye job. Pay is structured and during the training years, quite low. You are expected (and have no real choice) to put up with it until you are fully qualified since, once in the programne, one cannot jump ship.

Yup I know how difficult it can be (especially the MSc). I have a BEng + MSc myself and recently came to the painful realisation I'm in the wrong career and I'm about to quit my job this week.

Lets hope I can survive whatever comes.
Original post by trapking
Yup I know how difficult it can be (especially the MSc). I have a BEng + MSc myself and recently came to the painful realisation I'm in the wrong career and I'm about to quit my job this week.

Lets hope I can survive whatever comes.

Both brave and courageous. :-)

I hope it goes well for you and I'm sure you have made the right decision with a lot of thought and soul searching.

Best wishes and success. :crossedf: :bban:

Quick Reply