The Student Room Group

Jobs with 3A* at A Level

I got my a level results back and I got 3A*, I don't want to go to University so I haven't applied but I don't know what to do from here. Any suggestions of high paying jobs that I can get without a degree?
Reply 1
What do you like? What were your A level subjects? Any restrictions on where you live?

Oh - and congratulations on your a levels!
Thank you, I feel bad for people have been let down by the system though.I did Maths, Biology and Business Studies. Random, I know. I live outside of London so probably something within or around London. I don't know what I like really, for the moment I'd like to get into a high paying job until I can decide on a longer term career path which may lead me to University in a few years time.
Finance sector jobs are worth a look at as many will take school leavers, though you may want to look at the crown dependencies as they're more accepting of school leavers, there's also engineering apprenticeships/degree apprenticeships if you don't want to go into the finance sector although they might want physics.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Untitled999999
Thank you, I feel bad for people have been let down by the system though.I did Maths, Biology and Business Studies. Random, I know. I live outside of London so probably something within or around London. I don't know what I like really, for the moment I'd like to get into a high paying job until I can decide on a longer term career path which may lead me to University in a few years time.

If you might want to go to university in a few years you might want to be a bit cautious about degree apprenticeships. There are loads of options for you to apply to:

- accountancy
- banking
- civil service
- military
- insurance companies
- IT
- software engineering
Original post by Helloworld_95
Finance sector jobs are worth a look at as many will take school leavers, though you may want to look at the crown dependencies as they're more accepting of school leavers, there's also engineering apprenticeships/degree apprenticeships if you don't want to go into the finance sector.

Thank you, I wasn't too sure how accepting the finance sector were of non-graduates. I'll take a look at it
Original post by ajj2000
If you might want to go to university in a few years you might want to be a bit cautious about degree apprenticeships. There are loads of options for you to apply to:

- accountancy
- banking
- civil service
- military
- insurance companies
- IT
- software engineering

This is why I'm finding it a little awkward. I don't want to start a degree apprenticeships when I may decide to go to University in a few years and I can't seem to find that many challenging/high paying jobs that aren't degree apprenticeships.
Thank you, I wasn't too sure how accepting the finance sector were of non-graduates. I'll take a look at it

Most of the main finance qualifications don't require a degree to do, nor is it even desirable to have a degree (better to complete an ACCA in 3 years after school than do a degree which you have to pay loans back for then finish your ACCA in the 2 year mandatory minimum). I think some companies ask for a degree or even masters now due to sheer competition, but if you look around, particularly in the crown dependencies, you'll find ones which will happily take or even prefer school leavers.
Reply 8
This is why I'm finding it a little awkward. I don't want to start a degree apprenticeships when I may decide to go to University in a few years and I can't seem to find that many challenging/high paying jobs that aren't degree apprenticeships.

Try contacting a charity called 'not going to uni'. They might be able to help. Accountancy apprenticeships are generally not degree apprenticeships so that might work for you? Maybe see if there are any in insurance which do professional qualifications rather than a degree. Also, going into a trade in the military might be a good option.
Thank you, I didn't realise that finance qualifications didn't require a degree to do. I'll have a look around.
Thank you, I didn't realise that finance qualifications didn't require a degree to do. I'll have a look around.

There are a few people who are doing / or have completed accountancy qualifications under apprenticeships on these board - Id guess its worth reaching out to a few of them through DMs to see if they can provide some insight.
Reply 11
Look for degree apprenticeships
They are very competitive.
You get a job, money and a degree and no debt.

Alternatively look at Big 4 school leaver programs.

Quick Reply

Latest