The Student Room Group

American ideas about racism are influencing Europe

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LiberOfLondon
The vast majority of people in the UK who have sickle cell anaemia are black. Is this down to white supremacy?

The conditions society has created for Black people is what contributes to their increased deaths. Once again you completely missed the point. It is systemic racism at its core.
Reply 61
Original post by Azagthoa
The conditions society has created for Black people is what contributes to their increased deaths. Once again you completely missed the point. It is systemic racism at its core.

This all-encompassing "anti-blackness" narrative breaks down when facts get in the way:

In the 2011 Census of England and Wales, 14.1% of Gypsies and Irish Travellers rated their health as bad or very bad. The group with the second poorest self-rated health was White Irish (9.2%), followed by Black Caribbean (6.7%), White British (5.9%), ‘Other’ ethnicity (5.7%), Bangladeshi (5.6%) and Pakistani (5.5%). In Scotland, a greater proportion of Gypsy/Travellers rated their health as bad or very bad (15%) compared with the average for Scotland.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/default/files/is-britain-fairer-findings-factsheet-ethnicity.pdf
Original post by Ascend
This all-encompassing "anti-blackness" narrative breaks down when facts get in the way:

In the 2011 Census of England and Wales, 14.1% of Gypsies and Irish Travellers rated their health as bad or very bad. The group with the second poorest self-rated health was White Irish (9.2%), followed by Black Caribbean (6.7%), White British (5.9%), ‘Other’ ethnicity (5.7%), Bangladeshi (5.6%) and Pakistani (5.5%). In Scotland, a greater proportion of Gypsy/Travellers rated their health as bad or very bad (15%) compared with the average for Scotland.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/default/files/is-britain-fairer-findings-factsheet-ethnicity.pdf

Whoa buddy, we don’t want your facts and figures here. They are not convenient for the narrative.

Source? Diseases can affect some races more than others (sickle cell anaemia and blacks, Tay-Sachs and Ashkenazi Jews) and covid could be an example of that.

Is the fact that a disproportionate amount of black Brits have sickle cell anaemia
1) genetic, or
2) due to systemic racism?
Reply 64
Original post by Djtoodles
Whoa buddy, we don’t want your facts and figures here. They are not convenient for the narrative.

Oops, did I do a white supremacy?
Reply 65
White supremacy is a scapegoat..

Since now they are calling Math White supremacy. Reason White supremacy.. oh and even time is White supremacy despite time being used since the earliest recorded humans..
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by miyog
White supremacy is a scapegoat..

Since now they are calling Math White supremacy. Reason White supremacy.. oh and even time is White supremacy despite time being used since the earliest recorded humans..

I was also surprised to see that lots of the things that made Imperial China so strong and contributed to Singapore's success (meritocratic government, timekeeping, respect for education, common cultural values, capitalism) are apparently white supremacist concepts. :hmmmm2:
No multi-racial countries = less racism

You rarely hear about racism in Poland, because it's nearly entirely made up of ethnic Polish people. Or racism in Africa.. you get what I'm getting at.

Blacks disproportionately kill Whites

Blacks disproportionately commit violent crime

Men are disproportionately killed by the police because commit FAR more violent crime

These statistics only matter when it fits your narrative.

BLMarxists have done great job White guilting our populations into submission.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by polskasiła

No intermixing sexes = less rapes. No gay people = less homophobia.

Genius logic from the ethno-nationalists. The pride of their ethnicity.

You rarely hear about racism in Poland, because it's nearly entirely made up of ethnic Polish people.

A shining example of a state. :laugh:

As we all know there was no racism in the UK before the Windrush arrived.
:facepalm:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 70

You rarely hear about racism in Poland, because it's nearly entirely made up of ethnic Polish people. Or racism in Africa.. you get what I'm getting at.

Do you even know who an "ethnic Pole" is? Ejit.
Source? Diseases can affect some races more than others (sickle cell anaemia and blacks, Tay-Sachs and Ashkenazi Jews) and covid could be an example of that.

Is the fact that a disproportionate amount of black Brits have sickle cell anaemia
1) genetic, or
2) due to systemic racism?

From an actual Doctor (someone a lot more qualified than yourself).

COVIDs death rate among PoC has nothing to do with sickle cell anemia and everything to do with the systemic racism and whiteness perpetuated in society. The reason more PoC die from covid is:

1) They are more likely to be employed as essential workers in health roles.
2) More likely to live in lower income areas and highly densly populated housing.
3) More likely to take public transport.

All directly attributable to societal racism and white supremacy. People in this thread need to learn the difference between being "not-racist" and work on becoming anti-racist. The first step is to acknowledge your own unconcious biases and racism and begin a lifelong commitment to dismantling white supremacy. The lives of brown and Black people are at stake.

COVIDs death rate among PoC has nothing to do with sickle cell anemia and everything to do with the systemic racism and whiteness perpetuated in society. The reason more PoC die from covid is:

2) More likely to live in lower income areas and highly densly populated housing.

All directly attributable to societal racism and white supremacy. People in this thread need to learn the difference between being "not-racist" and work on becoming anti-racist. The first step is to acknowledge your own unconcious biases and racism and begin a lifelong commitment to dismantling white supremacy. The lives of brown and Black people are at stake.

Just because one doctor says something doesn't make it true. Andrew Wakefield was a doctor.

I wasn't implying that sickle cell was a risk factor for covid, I was saying that some diseases (eg sickle cell) disproportionately affect the black community and that covid could be an example of that.

Can you give me the statistics that show non-whites are disproportionately employed as frontline workers (eg nurses, doctors)?

Your points about taking public transport and living in densely populated, low income housing are also the case for working-class whites. Is this an example of systemic classism?
Reply 73

I trust even he is aware of the fact one persons opinion does not make it true. As a man of scientist he should be well aware of this immutable fact.
Not least of all due to the phrasing you just used, a virus couldnt give a rats ass as to supposed "perpetuation of whiteness" in society and it is more than somewhat dishonest of you to try and link a biological phenomenon to what is clearly a sociological "problem".
Reply 74
Original post by Ascend
No intermixing sexes = less rapes. No gay people = less homophobia.

Genius logic from the ethno-nationalists. The pride of their ethnicity.

A shining example of a state. :laugh:

Every time i look at this persons comment i keep mentally adding a comma into it, makes it somewhat more amusing :biggrin:
Reply 75

PRSOM. There's no point trying to educate people like this who always want to think they're correct. 'Napp' literally post controversial things like this every other day and his position against the BLM movement is very clear. Honestly, social media reminds me what a horrible place this world is smh.
Reply 76
Original post by am.
PRSOM. There's no point trying to educate people like this who always want to think they're correct. 'Napp' literally post controversial things like this every other day and his position against the BLM movement is very clear. Honestly, social media reminds me what a horrible place this world is smh.

Did you seriously just call the Economist article "controversial" ? :rofl: Poor trolling there dear.
What we need is equity, not equality. For too long white men have had it too easy in the western world. I'm excited by the racial enlightening currently sweeping the globe, it is a very powerful movement. Finally, PoC will be able to unlock their potential that has for so long been held back by the shackles of white men.

Im actually curious as to what form you think "equity" should take? Provide examples.
Yeah. I'm not sure if BLM understand that you can't apply American concepts like police brutality and institutionalised racism in the law (ie Jim Crow) to Britain since we never had systemic segregation and police racism ended, by and large, with Macpherson.

Systemic racism from slavery in America had worldwide effects that u simply aren’t aware of. It must be nice living in ignorance like thid
Original post by nathan_nacu
Systemic racism from slavery in America had worldwide effects that u simply aren’t aware of. It must be nice living in ignorance like thid

What were and are the worldwide effects of Jim Crow?

Go on, tell me. If what you say is true I'll believe what you say.

Quick Reply