The Student Room Group

American ideas about racism are influencing Europe

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Ascend
"One of the myths peddled by "anti-racists" is that every racial inequality is the direct product of structural racism.

If you overlook factors such as family breakdown, unhelpful attitudes towards education, and cultural barriers to social integration, then that's a big problem."

-- Rakib Ehsan

Not a bad piece. The one thing, well one of them at least, i've always found rather amusing (if depressing) about these crackpots and their theories is how they are inherently racist themselves. Believing that it is only caucasians who are capable of implementing this and carrying it out. We need only look at our dear user mgi and his err 'unique' theories on racism to see the crackpottery of it all. Never mind the grave injustice such theories peretrate on people who actually do live under oppressive 'systemically' and strucally racist societies. Such as Malaysia's and most of the African regimes. Not only do they try and, at best, soft peddle these instances or, at worst, deny their existence but comparing the notional 'racism' of the UK/US et al. to them is generally just silly.
Original post by Iñigo de Loyola
Decolonising universities? Remind me how any colonial power rules the unis because I can't see the hand of imperialism in the diktats of the underwater basket weaving students that make up the majority of NUS delegates.

More seriously, putting a degree from this uni on your CV is a good way to make sure you won't get hired by Tories, in the same way as ”deputy chairman of OUCA and 2:1 in PPE” will mean you're unlikely to get offered a job at the Morning Star. And that's before we consider the Equality Act 2010.

My uni has just brought in a lecture this year for fresher's week called "Decolonising the Law School" . :rolleyes:
Original post by Napp
Not a bad piece. The one thing, well one of them at least, i've always found rather amusing (if depressing) about these crackpots and their theories is how they are inherently racist themselves. Believing that it is only caucasians who are capable of implementing this and carrying it out. We need only look at our dear user mgi and his err 'unique' theories on racism to see the crackpottery of it all. Never mind the grave injustice such theories peretrate on people who actually do live under oppressive 'systemically' and strucally racist societies. Such as Malaysia's and most of the African regimes. Not only do they try and, at best, soft peddle these instances or, at worst, deny their existence but comparing the notional 'racism' of the UK/US et al. to them is generally just silly.

@Napp
@Ascend

I thought I'd contribute something here you both might find interesting. There's a great French philosopher called Pascal Bruckner. I have his book "The Tyranny of Guilt". He talks about the racism of the anti-racist, and it's amazing how prevalent it is. People who are driven to combat racism, imperialism, genocide and so on can't help sometimes absorbing a pathology that regards the West/America/Europe/White as the repository of evil and malignancy (which is itself the problem).

A great example is on Islam. There is a laden but subtle racist backdrop to discussions about Islam that invariably depicts Muslims as perpetual victims in need of salvation. It's impossible to have a conversation about Islam without people feeling disquieted because they feel that Muslims might be abused/bullied. This kind of Third-Worldism infantilises Islam and denies Muslims the right to be regarded as equals among, for instance, the followers of Christianity. Christianity can get a beating; but not so with Islam. Islam and by extension Muslims can be regarded as being too substandard to cope with the hefty burden of free speech. It's racism cloaked in the language of the compassionate anti-racist.

He also argues that self-denigration is a form of self-glorification. The paternalism of the guilty conscience. We - the West - are the kings of infamy & depravity. We can critique our religions - but let's not extend this to Muslims and their faith. I sometimes think that the concept of White privilege is almost identical. It's a form of self-glorification. Barbarity is the white-man's great pride which it acknowledges only to itself. It vehemently and doggedly denies others are equally barbaric (finding attenuating excuses where possible).

Pascal has written another book on the 'Save-the-World' brigade which is, unfortunatel, still in my amazon wishlist.

Edit: Here is a youtube video of him talking --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7DhCg9KwZg
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Pythian
My uni has just brought in a lecture this year for fresher's week called "Decolonising the Law School" . :rolleyes:

Christ almighty...

Ali G had nothing on them.
Original post by Pythian

Oh dear. What country conquered the Law School?

:laugh:

Original post by Ascend

”Is it cos I is woke?”

Then again he did say that line at a protest:
Original post by Occitanie
Christ almighty...

We should "De-Industrialise the Law School" too - and return to the halcyon days of arable farming and postriders. :rolleyes:
Original post by Pythian
We should "De-Industrialise the Law School" too - and return to the halcyon days of arable farming and postriders. :rolleyes:

Good idea, Comrade, it will help the Law School keep up with the Green New Money Pit Deal proposals.

I'm taking the piss a bit but then again, SOAS and Goldsmith's have both banned meat from their canteens so...
Reply 129
Good idea, Comrade, it will help the Law School keep up with the Green New Money Pit Deal proposals.

I'm taking the piss a bit but then again, SOAS and Goldsmith's have both banned meat from their canteens so...

Christ alive.. Whats their unique reasoning behind this?
Original post by Napp

A mixture of militant veganism and the cLiMaTe eMeRgEnCy.
Reply 131

Oh bless their little cotton socks :lol:

What's disturbing about this mentality is that there's no latitude for any personal choice, decision or even contemplation. It's an arrogance that doesn't grant their fellow students the respect to make up their own minds. It's an attitude that says "there is a right and there's a wrong". I think that we, as a society, have become much less accommodating and tolerant of differences of opinion. An example would be the way J K Rowling has been treated which is very disturbing. Quite honestly, this kind of polarisation is reminiscent of earlier periods of modern European history. It creates an atmosphere in which it's almost impossible to disagree with the official orthodoxy. The idea that Rowling is a bigot is obviously ridiculous; but if you look at feminist debates in the 80s and 90s; you had people like Camille Paglia. They disagreed with the official direction of the feminist movement - but they weren't bullied for their views or had to stomach endless calumny or contumely. (Rowling is being execrated as an apostate and this has all the hallmarks of a political discussion that has morphed into an unyielding faith/cult).

Honestly, it may only be canteen. But I find this behaviour very disturbing. The way that uni - and, I suppose, life - has become so polarised in recent times with very little room for shades, ironies, or subtleties, or personal choice. And, from my own experience, the difficult questions in life aren't quite a simple "yes" or "no" - but occupy the penumbra of "well it depends". :s-smilie:
Original post by Napp

I think I can guess the reason behind this.

I used to read the Guardian, and every once-in-a-while, someone would moan about something a columnist or guest contributor had written that week. They would say: ".. oh my word! I can't believe that the guardianista has given voice to these awful opinions. This paper has caverned into the lowest abyss of right-wing hysteria... blah blah blah ...". And, I think the Paper would start getting nervous if enough people kicked such a fuss. If you're worried about circulation, this kind of thing must be annoying for editors. So, the paper might then only start accepting "safe" articles and opinions. And, gradually, over time; the Paper would have changed. It must be the same for the uni. You have a faction kicking up an awful fuss, and nobody else is saying anything - so little tweak here-and-there.
Original post by Pythian
What's disturbing about this mentality is that there's no latitude for any personal choice, decision or even contemplation. It's an arrogance that doesn't grant their fellow students the respect to make up their own minds. It's an attitude that says "there is a right and there's a wrong". I think that we, as a society, have become much less accommodating and tolerant of differences of opinion. An example would be the way J K Rowling has been treated which is very disturbing. Quite honestly, this kind of polarisation is reminiscent of earlier periods of modern European history. It creates an atmosphere in which it's almost impossible to disagree with the official orthodoxy. The idea that Rowling is a bigot is obviously ridiculous; but if you look at feminist debates in the 80s and 90s; you had people like Camille Paglia. They disagreed with the official direction of the feminist movement - but they weren't bullied for their views or had to stomach endless calumny or contumely. (Rowling is being execrated as an apostate and this has all the hallmarks of a political discussion that has morphed into an unyielding faith/cult).

Honestly, it may only be canteen. But I find this behaviour very disturbing. The way that uni - and, I suppose, life - has become so polarised in recent times with very little room for shades, ironies, or subtleties, or personal choice. And, from my own experience, the difficult questions in life aren't quite a simple "yes" or "no" - but occupy the penumbra of "well it depends". :s-smilie:

PRSOM.

Their book burnings are definitely a throwback to the Spanish Inquisition.
Reply 135
Original post by Pythian
I think I can guess the reason behind this.

I used to read the Guardian, and every once-in-a-while, someone would moan about something a columnist or guest contributor had written that week. They would say: ".. oh my word! I can't believe that the guardianista has given voice to these awful opinions. This paper has caverned into the lowest abyss of right-wing hysteria... blah blah blah ...". And, I think the Paper would start getting nervous if enough people kicked such a fuss. If you're worried about circulation, this kind of thing must be annoying for editors. So, the paper might then only start accepting "safe" articles and opinions. And, gradually, over time; the Paper would have changed. It must be the same for the uni. You have a faction kicking up an awful fuss, and nobody else is saying anything - so little tweak here-and-there.

Alas, i used to quite like the Guardian before it became a bastion of morally outraged militant vegan race warriors.
How about whats anti-white racism? oh right doesn't exist.. so they tell us

Whatever makes them justify their hate, which they so freely are allowed to promote while shutting down people for hate speech, for anything remotely critical of any other ppl...

White underprivilege
All BLM has proven is

Media bias

How certain groups are allowed to commit violence and terrorise people, in the name of racial justice..

Encourage more segregation, since they'll escape riots etc
(edited 3 years ago)
Have you heard of Critical (Race) Theory? You are in for a shock.

In the US, academia is more and more overrun with this ideology, Indiana's department of education even has an agenda for 'radical math'.
Original post by CyclinZH1
Indiana's department of education even has an agenda for 'radical math'.

”If there are eight counter-revolutionaries in the gulag and the People's Militia shoot four of them, how many imperialist running dogs are left?”

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending