The Student Room Group

What are University Exams?

I know this is looking into the future a bit but I don't wan't to make the same mistakes I did while I was in secondary school and cruise...How do they do exams and stuff over there (I want to do Chem Eng but I don't mind any courses) and if you do better in Uni is there a higher chance of getting employed straight out of it...like I don't know how you can do better...are there exams you do that you show employers like a level results to get into uni or is it different...Any help is appreciated....
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
@PhoenixFortune could you help me out here?
Original post by .Dezer.
How do they do exams and stuff over there (I want to do Chem Eng but I don't mind any courses)
Each course will have different requirements and demands re: exams. Some courses will have practical exams, others just pen and paper exams (sometimes essay questions, sometimes short-form questions).

and if you do better in Uni is there a higher chance of getting employed straight out of it
Modules at university usually have a certain % weighting for exams and assignments, so some modules may be assessed by 100% exams, but others may have a mixture or just assignments. The better you do on these assessments, the better your final degree classification (first, 2:1, 2:2 etc.) will be, which help you be more competitive for jobs, graduate schemes etc.

like I don't know how you can do better
Talk to a teacher or tutor about your exam technique, and apply any feedback you get. Universities will also provide study support to make sure you are making the most of your revision and exam time.

are there exams you do that you show employers like a level results to get into uni or is it different.
Different jobs will have different requirements - some will put a lot of emphasis on your individual module marks (on your university transcript), while others will just want you to have a certain degree classification. You take the exams to get your degree, not to get a job directly. No one walks into a job straight graduation (unless you are incredibly lucky), so it's up to you to apply for jobs after your degree. Your university's careers service could advise you on that.

See my answers in bold in the quote. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by PhoenixFortune
See my answers in bold in the quote. :smile:

Thanks for the extensive reply, I am not yet at uni so I don't quite understand what you mean by either final degree classification or individual module marks (Is this just like every test you have done on a peice of paper and it shows all your % for each module?)
Original post by .Dezer.
Thanks for the extensive reply, I am not yet at uni so I don't quite understand what you mean by either final degree classification or individual module marks (Is this just like every test you have done on a peice of paper and it shows all your % for each module?)

Each year of your degree, you'll do a certain number of modules. Each module will have some kind of assessment (exams and/or assignments). The university transcript will say your mark out of 100% for each module, and your overall degree classification is your average across your degree (although first year usually doesn't count). A first is 70%<, a 2:1 is 60-69%, 2:2 50-59%, a third is 40-49%.
Reply 5
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Each year of your degree, you'll do a certain number of modules. Each module will have some kind of assessment (exams and/or assignments). The university transcript will say your mark out of 100% for each module, and your overall degree classification is your average across your degree (although first year usually doesn't count). A first is 70%<, a 2:1 is 60-69%, 2:2 50-59%, a third is 40-49%.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest