The Student Room Group

How hard is paper 3 for A-level physics?

I was wondering how difficult paper 3 is for A-level physics. I'm not so good at practicals so I was wondering if there is anything I should before engaging with paper 3?

I understand that once you do the practicals you'll have a good idea of what could come up, but I'm still worried because it's not like the other content in physics such as mechanics where you can look it all up in a textbook and so on.

Also, what are questions like for the practicals in paper 3?

I haven't started my A-levels yet so I have no idea how it all works.

Thank you.
Reply 1
You don't have to worry abt anything :console:
It's quite normal and trust me, I've been in this situation before.

If your exam board is Edexcel, there's a practicals book for physics where you can learn abt all the required practicals and the related questions that would come up for exams.
If you don't have the facility to carry out practicals, it's best that you study from this book and look up those practicals on YouTube.

You can get many resources from here, in TSR, and there are people who are happy to help with your doubts.

You should also try doing past papers. It will give you an idea abt the questions that would come up for you. You could also learn the answering format for each questions.

Hope this helps :h:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Sam_R9
You don't have to worry abt anything :console:
It's quite normal and trust me, I've been in this situation before.

If your exam board is Edexcel, there's a practicals book for physics where you can learn abt all the required practicals and the related questions that would come up for exams.
If you don't have the facility to carry out practicals, it's best that you study from this book and look up those practicals on YouTube.

You can get many resources from here, in TSR, and there are people who are happy to help with your doubts.

You should also try doing past papers. It will give you an idea abt the questions that would come up for you. You could also learn the answering format for each questions.

Hope this helps :h:

Is this the book you're referring to?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-level-Physics-Student-Guide/dp/1471885151/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=aqa+physics+practical&qid=1597593419&sr=8-1

Thank you for your help. :smile:
Reply 3

I was acc talking abt the Edexcel one... There's a lab book for 2015 and 2017 specifications, if I am not wrong.
But anyways, you could try studying this book if you are doing the AQA exam board.
It's good if you refer to your specification. It's available on the official website of your exam board.

Glad to help :h:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Sam_R9
I was acc talking abt the Edexcel one... There's a lab book for 2015 and 2017 specifications, if I am not wrong.
But anyways, you could try studying this book if you are doing the AQA exam board.
It's good if you refer to your specification. It's available on the official website of your exam board.

Glad to help :h:

Is this the equivalent?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-level-Physics-Student-Guide/dp/1471885704/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=edexcel%3B+a+level+physics+practical&qid=1597678175&sr=8-4

Thank you. :smile:
Reply 5

Yes, it's the student guide

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels/physics-2018.resources.html
The first one in the list is the book (2018 specification - the latest one so far) which I was talking about:

You can check the official website of Edexcel for more information on the books and specs.
Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest