The Student Room Group

Autumn v Summer 2021 resit

hey guys, i’m going to keep this short and simple. my a level grades r so bad. should i take the autumn exams or take the summer exams? i haven’t been revising and do not feel confident at all and i don’t have a lot of time left. either way i’m going to have to wait next year to go to uni so idk what do u think?

Scroll to see replies

I’m in the same boat as you so I’m interested to hear the advice from other people 🥴
Well in that case Summer 2021 seems much more reasonsable. I doubt most universities would care.
im personally going to do the autumn ones, and if i arent happy with the results, I will do the summer ones too
Do you think we would be allowed to do one exam in October and then complete another exam in May/June?
Original post by priestxnatasha
Do you think we would be allowed to do one exam in October and then complete another exam in May/June?

Well that’s what I’m doing. I’m taking maths in the autumn and geography in the summer. I’m pretty sure you’re allowed I think
Original post by Super_M8rio
Well that’s what I’m doing. I’m taking maths in the autumn and geography in the summer. I’m pretty sure you’re allowed I think

Thank god! What Course do you hope to do in uni?
Also have you been told this is allowed by some teachers and have you spoke to any unis about whether this would be allowed before applying
Reply 7
I’m taking in the summer, but I’m hearing it’s going to be double hard getting into good unis next year (international students, current and upcoming Y13s), is this true or will unis make more spaces?
Original post by satsun
I’m taking in the summer, but I’m hearing it’s going to be double hard getting into good unis next year (international students, current and upcoming Y13s), is this true or will unis make more spaces?

Fees for International Students are increasing next year so it will be less competitive according to
Thank god! What Course do you hope to do in uni?
Also have you been told this is allowed by some teachers and have you spoke to any unis about whether this would be allowed before applying

Oh no i havent spoke go anyone about this yet yikes. Im gonna appeal my econ from a b to an a cos i got an for both mocks and cag hopefully it works. Im aiming to get an a in autumn for maths, so ill have aac. With this ill apply for econ in december and then retake geo in the summer from a c to an a. What do you think of this idea? What r u planning to do!
guys you ought to bear in mind that (iirc) you wont have to pay for autumn resits but probably WILL have to pay for summer 2021
Oh no i havent spoke go anyone about this yet yikes. Im gonna appeal my econ from a b to an a cos i got an for both mocks and cag hopefully it works. Im aiming to get an a in autumn for maths, so ill have aac. With this ill apply for econ in december and then retake geo in the summer from a c to an a. What do you think of this idea? What r u planning to do!

Omg did you get BCC too?! Because that’s what I’m planning on doing, appealing my psychology grade from a B to an A, hopefully get my English language grade from a B to an A and then I’ll have AAC and then in the summer take my C in literature and hopefully turn it into either A or A* 🥰

I’m going to call uni’s tomorrow and see what they say since law is quite competitive so I don’t know how they will feel about it 🥴
Original post by kayani002
guys you ought to bear in mind that (iirc) you wont have to pay for autumn resits but probably WILL have to pay for summer 2021

I won’t really mind paying for the summer exam if I’m honest as long as uni’s will accept it which is something I need to call and ask about it
I’m in the same boat as you so I’m interested to hear the advice from other people 🥴

me too :frown:
Omg did you get BCC too?! Because that’s what I’m planning on doing, appealing my psychology grade from a B to an A, hopefully get my English language grade from a B to an A and then I’ll have AAC and then in the summer take my C in literature and hopefully turn it into either A or A* 🥰

I’m going to call uni’s tomorrow and see what they say since law is quite competitive so I don’t know how they will feel about it 🥴

I got bbc basically the same. We’re both planning to do practically same and hope it all works out good luck!! Ill be calling a lot of unis tomorrow and see what they say ( fingers crossed )
I got bbc basically the same. We’re both planning to do practically same and hope it all works out good luck!! Ill be calling a lot of unis tomorrow and see what they say ( fingers crossed )

Me too! What unis are you planning on calling? Because then overall together we won’t have to call as many individually since we can just put our findings together hehe I’m a lazy person 😂

But I’m planning on 100% calling bristol because that was my firm this year, liverpool, I’ll try Ucl because they’re very strict on resits so idk :/ and maybe Durham
Me too! What unis are you planning on calling? Because then overall together we won’t have to call as many individually since we can just put our findings together hehe I’m a lazy person 😂

But I’m planning on 100% calling bristol because that was my firm this year, liverpool, I’ll try Ucl because they’re very strict on resits so idk :/ and maybe Durham

I’ll be calling Durham my ex firm lmao, Nottingham probably ucl, lse warwick and Exeter. There’s a long process ahead of us but it is what it is ig :frown:
I’ll be calling Durham my ex firm lmao, Nottingham probably ucl, lse warwick and Exeter. There’s a long process ahead of us but it is what it is ig :frown:

Could you let me know what Durham, nottingham and UCL have said please 🙏🏽 Bristol told me that they usually expect people to sit them all in one go but that your referee should explain why you haven’t sat them in one go and then it’ll be taken into consideration but I know one girl who was resitting two subjects this year and she got an unconditional offer this year I believe :smile: also I messaged oxford because why not lmao and they also got back to me with this

‘This would be absolutely fine. Your application will be considered alongside others for 2021 entry, and we will not consider the results of the exams you take in autumn or June 2021 as re-takes, so your application will not be disadvantaged when admissions decisions are made.

You will need to reapply through UCAS by the 15 October 2020 deadline, and re-take any admissions test(s) required for the course you are applying to.’

So if Oxford is willing to do that then I imagine quite a few other unis are too
Could you let me know what Durham, nottingham and UCL have said please 🙏🏽 Bristol told me that they usually expect people to sit them all in one go but that your referee should explain why you haven’t sat them in one go and then it’ll be taken into consideration but I know one girl who was resitting two subjects this year and she got an unconditional offer this year I believe :smile: also I messaged oxford because why not lmao and they also got back to me with this

‘This would be absolutely fine. Your application will be considered alongside others for 2021 entry, and we will not consider the results of the exams you take in autumn or June 2021 as re-takes, so your application will not be disadvantaged when admissions decisions are made.

You will need to reapply through UCAS by the 15 October 2020 deadline, and re-take any admissions test(s) required for the course you are applying to.’

So if Oxford is willing to do that then I imagine quite a few other unis are too

and me please! in the same situation
I really don’t get sitting the autumn exams:

Most people haven’t studied in over 5 months.
You only have around 2 months to not revise, go over topics you didn’t finish, do past papers.

Even people who leave normal alevel revision for 2 months before the exam struggle and they’ve been in school.

I just think you’d likely end up stressing and spending every hour preparing, sit the exam and get potential a worse Or maybe the same grade.

Then you’d have spent 2 month stressing for absolutely no reason.

You can’t go to university this year autumn or summer so I think studying for the summer exam, getting a tutor, working consistently will yield better results.

That’s just me

Quick Reply

Latest