The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official Oxford 2021 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Hello everyone! I wasn't seeing a specific postgrad thread so I decided to make one. I hope we can all help each other through this nerve-wracking time :h:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Glad you started this thread, I know the application hasn't opened up but I'm already nervous about applying haha! Oxford is one of my top choices and my program seems especially competitive so definitely don't have high expectations but figured I might as well apply and see what happens!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Hi, I’m in much the same situation as both of you and I’m glad there’s now a thread for us! I’m not expecting to get in since my course is pretty competitive too, but I’m going to give it my best shot. It’s too good an opportunity not to go for.
Echoing what has been said so far, it is so hard to predict how things will go with the lottery that is getting into Oxford! I'm anxious about how Covid-19 will impact the number of people who will apply next year. Both people choosing to return to education because of a recession and people deciding to hold off and waiting to apply next year. What are people planning to apply for? I'm going for the MSc in Education (Research Design and Methodology).
Original post by SaxaDeans
Echoing what has been said so far, it is so hard to predict how things will go with the lottery that is getting into Oxford! I'm anxious about how Covid-19 will impact the number of people who will apply next year. Both people choosing to return to education because of a recession and people deciding to hold off and waiting to apply next year. What are people planning to apply for? I'm going for the MSc in Education (Research Design and Methodology).

Yeah, it’ll definitely be a different situation from the usual next year, and you have to wonder whether what’s going on will impact the number of international applicants too.

I’m going for the MSt English Language and Literature, 1700 - 1830.
I'm applying for the MSc in Global Health Science and Epidemiology! I'm not sure if COVID-19 will mean an increase in applications to the program because public health or a decrease because people may feel discouraged from studying it- although I'm American so that probably changes my perspective about it! I'm trying to draft my personal statement now so that I'm ready to go when applications open up but am struggling to get it done- I've written an outline so just need to write it out!
Original post by strangewwways
Yeah, it’ll definitely be a different situation from the usual next year, and you have to wonder whether what’s going on will impact the number of international applicants too.

I’m going for the MSt English Language and Literature, 1700 - 1830.

Also, the fees for EU students will be the same as international students next year, thanks to Brexit. I don't know how much that will affect Oxbridge, as some people would go to Oxbridge for the name regardless of cost. But EU student numbers are sure to be affected next year. Best of luck with your English application! I don't envy people who do English at University level. I don't know how you read all that you have to read. I had to read Daniel Defoe in school, it made me never want to read a book again lol

Original post by petrichororange
I'm applying for the MSc in Global Health Science and Epidemiology! I'm not sure if COVID-19 will mean an increase in applications to the program because public health or a decrease because people may feel discouraged from studying it- although I'm American so that probably changes my perspective about it! I'm trying to draft my personal statement now so that I'm ready to go when applications open up but am struggling to get it done- I've written an outline so just need to write it out!

I suspect it will make it more popular. But that doesn't mean you won't get in or you'll become less competitive. One thing to remember is you are ahead of those choosing to do a relevant undergrad degree because of the pandemic, so the effects might be more felt in 3/4 years time. I had a guest lecturer that did her PhD in Terrorism. Granted a different subject, but apparently she said that after major terrorist events, in particular 9/11, applications skyrocketed. She submitted her research proposal (on Northern Ireland) on the 10th of September 2001!

A lot of all these things are speculation. We don't know how our applications are going to go, until we apply. In search for a better phrase; if you're not in, you can't win!
Original post by SaxaDeans
Also, the fees for EU students will be the same as international students next year, thanks to Brexit. I don't know how much that will affect Oxbridge, as some people would go to Oxbridge for the name regardless of cost. But EU student numbers are sure to be affected next year. Best of luck with your English application! I don't envy people who do English at University level. I don't know how you read all that you have to read. I had to read Daniel Defoe in school, it made me never want to read a book again lol

Ah yes, didn't think of that. Thanks, I hope it goes well, and to be honest I think Defoe while you're studying in school is probably a bit soon! Good luck to you too.
- Current University: Exeter
- Current Course: BA English
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First
- Prospective Course: MSt English 1700-1830
- Other Universities you’re applying to: York, also applying to continue at Exeter, maybe one other but haven't decided yet.
Hi, I am going to apply for MSc in Mathematical Modelling and Scientific Computing. I am currently in the process of writing a personal statement. If anyone else here is applying for the same course and would like to work together on the application process then please let me know :smile:

Good luck everyone
Reply 10
Thanks for being here everyone!!! Was really nervous when no one showed up for a bit hahha. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!! I'm sure we'll have many nervewracking days/nights together in the future

- Current University: Northwestern University (US uni but I'm Indonesian :smile:)
- Current Course: History and Art History
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First
- Prospective Course: MSc in Visual, Material and Museum Anthropology!!
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Cambridge, NYU, UChicago, Columbia, UCL, SOAS
Hello everyone! Oxford is my first choice but I'm a bit nervous as I'm not coming from a Russell Group Uni/Top Tier Uni and my undergraduate degree is different to what I'm applying for as a master's but hopefully there's still a chance!

- Current University: University of Sussex
- Current Course: Law with American Studies (with a year abroad)
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First (with a 3.99 GPA on my year abroad in the US)
- Prospective Course: MSt History
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Edinburgh, Glasgow and Sussex
Original post by KristinaMaria
Hello everyone! Oxford is my first choice but I'm a bit nervous as I'm not coming from a Russell Group Uni/Top Tier Uni and my undergraduate degree is different to what I'm applying for as a master's but hopefully there's still a chance!

- Current University: University of Sussex
- Current Course: Law with American Studies (with a year abroad)
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First (with a 3.99 GPA on my year abroad in the US)
- Prospective Course: MSt History
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Edinburgh, Glasgow and Sussex

I did my undergraduate at Sussex too and I was worried that is wasn't a Russell Group either. But I know of a few people whom went onto do a masters at Oxford. Always worth a try
Hello everyone,
I’m an international applicant from India!
- Current University: University of Delhi
- Current Course: BSc Mathematics Hons
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: GPA 9.5/10 ( required 8.5/10)
- Prospective Course: Master’s in Mathematical Sciences
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh
Hi, I’m in much the same situation as both of you and I’m glad there’s now a thread for us! I’m not expecting to get in since my course is pretty competitive too, but I’m going to give it my best shot. It’s too good an opportunity not to go for.

Same here lol! What’s your course?
Original post by Doctor_Wormhole
Same here lol! What’s your course?

I’m doing a BA in English right now, but I’m going for the English MSt, 1700 - 1830. Not as competitive as some of the other time periods for the English Master’s, from what I’ve seen of the stats, but English is always a popular subject. Good luck with your mathematical sciences though, that sounds like a pretty impressive MA
I’m doing a BA in English right now, but I’m going for the English MSt, 1700 - 1830. Not as competitive as some of the other time periods for the English Master’s, from what I’ve seen of the stats, but English is always a popular subject. Good luck with your mathematical sciences though, that sounds like a pretty impressive MA

Yep it is! I love the course. Have you begun with your application? All the best to you too!
Hi all! Started the application essay today and it is not coming along well lol but at least a really rough draft is better than nothing?

Current university: Graduated in May 2020, somewhere in America!
Current course: Political Science (have taken science and math classes though)
Achieved grade: I think equivalent of a 2.1 but maybe first-class?
Prospective course: MSc Global Health Science and Epidemiology
Other universities you're applying to: Cambridge, UCL, Imperial College London, King's College London in UK & Columbia, Brown, Yale, UCLA, UCSD in America!
Original post by Doctor_Wormhole
Yep it is! I love the course. Have you begun with your application? All the best to you too!

Thanks! Yep, I’ve been researching the application process and beginning a personal statement. Still not decided on what written work I’m gonna use though. What about you?
Thanks! Yep, I’ve been researching the application process and beginning a personal statement. Still not decided on what written work I’m gonna use though. What about you?

I’m pretty much stuck. Have 3 projects relevant to my course but like the I haven’t still figured out the exact reason for applying. For some reasons, my motivation to study the course seems convincing to me but might not be that convincing for someone else. So I’m not happy with the draft i have in my mind. And idk what to do

Quick Reply

Latest