Official Oxford 2021 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Watch
alex2020
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm planning on applying for the same part-time Mst Literature and Arts!
Slightly nerve-wracking as it's been 15 years since I graduated with my undergrad in Music. With the break from academia and having not studied a core humanities subject, I'm not sure I have much of a chance. However, my undergrad dissertation focus and research interests align with this course, so hoping that will help. There aren't really any other part-time postgrad courses that fit my specific interests!

(Original post by Ana1998)
- Current University: Goldsmiths
- Current Course: English
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First
- Prospective Course: Mst Literature and Arts (part-time)
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Birmingham

I'm hoping at least someone here will be applying to the same programme...
Stick In The Mud
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
- Current University: University of Toronto
- Current Course: History
- Achieved Grade: First
- Prospective Course: MSt History

Anyone have advice on the dreaded personal statement?
petrichororange
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Currently trying to decide which college to put down! I'm between Magdalen and St. Catherine's, unsure which to choose! Kind of bummed we can't put down more than one preference, because I would definitely do that haha.
Stick In The Mud
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by petrichororange)
Currently trying to decide which college to put down! I'm between Magdalen and St. Catherine's, unsure which to choose! Kind of bummed we can't put down more than one preference, because I would definitely do that haha.
I'd love Magdalen too. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is that it accepts relatively fewer grad students and I don't want to have Oxford put me in a college I don't really want if I don't get Magdalen.
petrichororange
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Stick In The Mud)
I'd love Magdalen too. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is that it accepts relatively fewer grad students and I don't want to have Oxford put me in a college I don't really want if I don't get Magdalen.
That's how I feel too! Magdalen is definitely by and away my first choice but I figure I may have a better chance at St. Catherine's (and it's definitely my second choice!) so should put that down instead? I guess I'll have to think about it before submitting my application!
bitsbobsbubbles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey all, I'm a current undergraduate in Ireland studying maths, applying for a DPhil in mathematics! I don't really think I have much of a chance of admission but have a super encouraging supervisor lined up so am going to try nonetheless looking forward to going through this with you all!
bookworm0604
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Anyone else applying for the MSt in English Language and Literature (1550-1700)?
Ana1998
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by alex2020)
I'm planning on applying for the same part-time Mst Literature and Arts!
Slightly nerve-wracking as it's been 15 years since I graduated with my undergrad in Music. With the break from academia and having not studied a core humanities subject, I'm not sure I have much of a chance. However, my undergrad dissertation focus and research interests align with this course, so hoping that will help. There aren't really any other part-time postgrad courses that fit my specific interests!
How cool! I didnt think I would find someone applying for the same programme here. Have you submitted your application yet?
sussexgal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I am applying to Oxford MSc NSEG! Undergrad from Sussex and graduated with a 2.1! Fingers crossed
username5203706
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi folks, I am currently finishing off a DPhil in the Humanities at Oxford with a few contacts in graduate admissions across the various faculties of the Humanities Division.

I am going to write a very long post (an unofficial guide) in the coming days explaining the funding and scholarship process in the Humanities Division. I am going to try and cover as many aspects as I can as I know that it is a very opaque, convoluted and confusing process - in part this will be about expectation management concerning the extent of competition and the dwindling number of scholarships available for the Humanities at Oxford.

In the meantime, whilst I am writing the guide, would be great if you want to post any questions or things you would specifically like me to cover or that you are particular unsure about.
Stick In The Mud
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by LaBoetie)
Hi folks, I am currently finishing off a DPhil in the Humanities at Oxford with a few contacts in graduate admissions across the various faculties of the Humanities Division.

I am going to write a very long post (an unofficial guide) in the coming days explaining the funding and scholarship process in the Humanities Division. I am going to try and cover as many aspects as I can as I know that it is a very opaque, convoluted and confusing process - in part this will be about expectation management concerning the extent of competition and the dwindling number of scholarships available for the Humanities at Oxford.

In the meantime, whilst I am writing the guide, would be great if you want to post any questions or things you would specifically like me to cover or that you are particular unsure about.
I think the admission to college is the only thing that seems a bit mysterious to me. I have asked around and haven't got a straight answer. Some said that having an association with a college you have previously attended (E.g Trinity College, Cambridge, Dublin, Toronto etc.) could give you a leg up in getting into an Oxford college with a similar name.

What do they really take into consideration when deciding whether to admit you?
username5203706
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Stick In The Mud)
I think the admission to college is the only thing that seems a bit mysterious to me. I have asked around and haven't got a straight answer. Some said that having an association with a college you have previously attended (E.g Trinity College, Cambridge, Dublin, Toronto etc.) could give you a leg up in getting into an Oxford college with a similar name.

What do they really take into consideration when deciding whether to admit you?
The short answer is no. Trinity Cambridge, Trinity Oxford, Trinity Dublin etc... have no relationship or connection beyond their names. Thus, you don't have an advantage.

Unlike undergraduate applications, colleges have no say as to whether you are admitted onto your respective course. Admissions onto the course is determined entirely by your department. If your department offers you a place, you are guaranteed a place at a college.

In truth, college admission it is a bit of a lottery. But essentially, they judge you on academic merit and overlapping interests with tutors in the college. It is a very long process but you will eventually be offered a place at a college. If you are rejected by your first choice college, then you will enter the pool where other colleges can asses your application and offer you a place. There is no science behind it, but applying to a college where the tutors have similar interests to you is your best bet.

The only advantage some applicants may have is if they have previously been a member at the college. E.g. someone who did their masters or undergrad at Exeter College Oxford will be given priority if they apply for a DPhil and put Exeter as their preference.

Finally, if you are offered a scholarship that is partially or fully funded by a scholarship from a specific college, then you will be moved to that college, even if you have already received an offer from a different college.
Last edited by username5203706; 1 week ago
Bookish_much
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Perhaps if you have any tips about the personal statement? I've read plenty of things online but it's such a horrible thing to write! Also just a hi to everyone and wondering if anyone is applying to the MSt Comp Lit and Critical Translation?
_lou_99
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is anyone applying for the MSc in Migration Studies?
rabbitrobi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

First of all, thank you for doing this! Your guide would be super helpful!

I just submitted my application to OSGA (I know it's only September but I really feel like I can't take my mind off the documents as long as they're not uploaded). Wonder if the graduate admission will start looking at the application docs. as soon as they are ready for assessment. maybe just out of curiosity, to see who is applying already? lol
username5203706
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by rabbitrobi)
First of all, thank you for doing this! Your guide would be super helpful!

I just submitted my application to OSGA (I know it's only September but I really feel like I can't take my mind off the documents as long as they're not uploaded). Wonder if the graduate admission will start looking at the application docs. as soon as they are ready for assessment. maybe just out of curiosity, to see who is applying already? lol
I don't know specifics for OSGA. Each department will have their own internal process and internal timelines for assessing applications. I know several departments will review applications as they come in to spread to workload. But, often departments will wait till the funding deadlines, and application deadlines before actually making offers so that they can compare the pool of applicants they see. So I don't know specifics for OSGA but I doubt there is any advantage to be gained by submitting applications really early in the cycle. The main thing is not to rush your application by trying to submit as early as possible or leaving it too late. Importantly, don't leave it too late as you need to notify referees of your attention to apply and give them enough notice for submitting references.
username5203706
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bookish_much)
Perhaps if you have any tips about the personal statement? I've read plenty of things online but it's such a horrible thing to write! Also just a hi to everyone and wondering if anyone is applying to the MSt Comp Lit and Critical Translation?
It is a challenge indeed, but I can't really offer any useful advice, beyond generalities, on this outside of my own subject-area because different departments and different courses look for different things in personal statements.
rabbitrobi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't know specifics for OSGA. Each department will have their own internal process and internal timelines for assessing applications. I know several departments will review applications as they come in to spread to workload. But, often departments will wait till the funding deadlines, and application deadlines before actually making offers so that they can compare the pool of applicants they see. So I don't know specifics for OSGA but I doubt there is any advantage to be gained by submitting applications really early in the cycle. The main thing is not to rush your application by trying to submit as early as possible or leaving it too late. Importantly, don't leave it too late as you need to notify referees of your attention to apply and give them enough notice for submitting references.
thanks very much for the info!
Livontheedge
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi all! Thought I'd join the thread

- Current University: Top 50 liberal arts college in the US
- Current Course: Politics
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 3.96/4.00 (requirement for Oxford is 3.8)
- Prospective Course: MSc African Studies
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Cambridge, Copenhagen

How are people going about choosing their college? I got into Cambridge this past round and got pooled (I applied pretty late so I think that definitely had to do with it) so I am trying to avoid that haha
Mahel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is it worth applying to Oxford if you're expecting a 2:1? The course I'm looking at is "MSc in Global Governance and Diplomacy" and the requirements say "a first-class or strong upper second-class undergraduate degree with honours in a social science subject"

Currently studying Management at the University of Nottingham and achieved 55% in 2nd year (this was only because I needed EC for one of my modules due to corona but the uni took so long to get back to me that even though I submitted my work when I could, they gave me 0 for it due to being 'out of time'. An academic appeal is being considered for this and if it's approved and my work is marked, I only need 54 in the module to get 60%/2:1 overall. My other spring marks were 55, 63, 66 and 70 so definitely doable if my academic appeal is approved)

Basically I ask because with a 2nd year average of 55, I need 73% in final year to achieve 67% overall but if my 2nd year average does end up at 60, I need 71% which still would be a difficult task but doable

My only concern is that Oxford deadlines are quite early so if my academic appeal didn't get approved and my 2nd year average remained 55%, they'd see a 2:2 on my application instead of a 2:1 although I know that I can achieve a 2:1 overall
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (49)
13.73%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (50)
14.01%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (130)
36.41%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (38)
10.64%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (69)
19.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
5.88%

Watched Threads