The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official Oxford 2021 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Now a grizzled veteran, I've managed to compose an application in record time.

Current University: University of London (One of the leading London Unis)
Course: International Development
Achieved Grade: First Class Honours
Prospective Colleges: Keble
Prospective Course: MSc in Social Sciences of the Internet
Other universities: Cambridge, maybe LSE & UCL (I'm sick of living in London)

I've added prospective colleges. I think it's fun to get to know people from your college online before you meet.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Pulchritudinous!
Aaaannnnndd...application submitted! See you all for an update in 8+ weeks time :eek:

GL! do they state that they take 8 weeks to reply?
Original post by k92e67

actually, 8-10 wks after the deadline. (stated in application guide)
Original post by rabbitrobi

Original post by k92e67

not sure if this is helpful but one of my friends in the academic year above's deadline was January (the standard) but she got her offer in February for a PhD
Does anyone know what the stats look like on what percentage of MSt students end up getting some form of scholarship from Oxford?
Original post by Ana1998
How cool! I didnt think I would find someone applying for the same programme here. Have you submitted your application yet?

Me neither! Haven't submitted yet, but making good progress. The personal statement in particular has been hard though. Hoping to have everything ready to submit in October. What about you?
Original post by Ana1998
Does anyone know what the stats look like on what percentage of MSt students end up getting some form of scholarship from Oxford?

Found a little info online - i'm not sure whether a MSt is taught or by research but students on taught postgrad courses with funding is 29%, and on research courses 73% (this is probably because a lot of DPhils tend to be funded/people only tend to undertake DPhils if there's a chance of funding). In humanities, in 2016/17 34% of students on taught Master's and 60% of students on research Master's got scholarships. In academic year 19/20 uni reported that 'over half' of grad students received full or partial 'funding', which might include scholarships. Some colleges also offer bursaries but they all have different rules.
Idk if there are any more detailed stats but I would expect a lot of these students on taught Master's with scholarships may be from either disadvantaged backgrounds or have extremely high academic merit if that applies
Hope this helped!

Oh wow so we’ll only hear back around March time... damn that’s a long way away lol
Original post by kp07l
Found a little info online - i'm not sure whether a MSt is taught or by research but students on taught postgrad courses with funding is 29%, and on research courses 73% (this is probably because a lot of DPhils tend to be funded/people only tend to undertake DPhils if there's a chance of funding). In humanities, in 2016/17 34% of students on taught Master's and 60% of students on research Master's got scholarships. In academic year 19/20 uni reported that 'over half' of grad students received full or partial 'funding', which might include scholarships. Some colleges also offer bursaries but they all have different rules.
Idk if there are any more detailed stats but I would expect a lot of these students on taught Master's with scholarships may be from either disadvantaged backgrounds or have extremely high academic merit if that applies
Hope this helped!

This is tremendously helpful. Thank you for having taken the time! I'm applying for a taught Master's, so what I'm taking away is that about 1 out of every 3 students gets some form of scholarship. Fingers crossed!
Original post by alex2020
Me neither! Haven't submitted yet, but making good progress. The personal statement in particular has been hard though. Hoping to have everything ready to submit in October. What about you?

Hi Alex. Yes, the personal statement was a tough one. I have finished / submitted my application. Can only wait and cross fingers now.
Hi! I think I am going to apply for the same course as yours. I am also looking for other courses in LSE and Cambridge. Good luck with your materials collecting!
Hey all,

Thinking of doing a History DPhil at Oxford, but not sure what my chances of admission are. I did an MPhil at Cambridge and didn’t do great in my first few papers (due to some unpleasant extenuating circumstances) but got 75 in my dissertation and ended up with 73 overall. This was a pass, as Cambridge only awards distinctions for 75+ . I was obviously a little disappointed at not getting a distinction overall but considering COVID, and pretty much doing my entire diss from home, I am pretty happy with the result. At undergrad I didn’t go to a great uni but did graduate top of the class and won several prizes for exams/diss.

I know the DPhil places are even more competitive than Masters, and Im wondering how a record like this would hold up?
Original post by Iaco3479
Hey all,

Thinking of doing a History DPhil at Oxford, but not sure what my chances of admission are. I did an MPhil at Cambridge and didn’t do great in my first few papers (due to some unpleasant extenuating circumstances) but got 75 in my dissertation and ended up with 73 overall. This was a pass, as Cambridge only awards distinctions for 75+ . I was obviously a little disappointed at not getting a distinction overall but considering COVID, and pretty much doing my entire diss from home, I am pretty happy with the result. At undergrad I didn’t go to a great uni but did graduate top of the class and won several prizes for exams/diss.

I know the DPhil places are even more competitive than Masters, and Im wondering how a record like this would hold up?

not sure how this could disadvantage you at all :smile: some people applying for DPhils dont even have an MPhil/MA, and you got one at Cambridge - not only that but nearly achieved a distinction. as long as you have a good idea that one of the professors is interested in and able to supervise u, I dont think there could possibly be a problem!! you're clearly a great student and i'm sure they'll be impressed with how you've managed to pull yourself up to a 73 despite extenuating circumstances, which they always take into account. go for it!!!!!
- Current University: Graduated in 2019 from SOAS with a MSc in International Politics
- Current Course:
- Achieved (or Expected) Grade: High Merit (67.5)
- Prospective Course: MPhil in Development Studies
- Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge, LSE

Hi everyone, I have a major burning question. So back in undergrad (2013-2017) I had a major extenuating circumstance and finished with a really low GPA (in the US). I was lucky enough to get into a MSc in SOAS and I ended up doing well and meeting the minimum requirement for the Cambridge MPhil degree I am applying to, but not sure about the Oxford one...because it says strong upper class degree and not really a number. However I was wondering if any of you could honestly tell me if my postgraduate grade will help or will they still put a lot of weight on my undergraduate scores? I have two years working experience in the UN in different countries: Indonesia, Thailand, Myanmar and I am published at a young age. However I understand that Oxbridge really put an emphasis on grades as opposed to working experience. I feel like I have a low chance but I am just going to go for it. I would just be really grateful if anyone whose had experience in applying could give me an honest answer to if my MSc grade will be able to carry me into even having a chance of standing out.
Original post by Kalaygalay5
- Current University: Graduated in 2019 from SOAS with a MSc in International Politics
- Current Course:

Hi everyone, I have a major burning question. So back in undergrad (2013-2017) I had a major extenuating circumstance and finished with a really low GPA (in the US). I was lucky enough to get into a MSc in SOAS and I ended up doing well and meeting the minimum requirement for the Cambridge MPhil degree I am applying to, but not sure about the Oxford one...because it says strong upper class degree and not really a number. However I was wondering if any of you could honestly tell me if my postgraduate grade will help or will they still put a lot of weight on my undergraduate scores? I have two years working experience in the UN in different countries: Indonesia, Thailand, Myanmar and I am published at a young age. However I understand that Oxbridge really put an emphasis on grades as opposed to working experience. I feel like I have a low chance but I am just going to go for it. I would just be really grateful if anyone whose had experience in applying could give me an honest answer to if my MSc grade will be able to carry me into even having a chance of standing out.

God! go for it! It's just 75 pounds you would have spent the money elsewhere anyway. It doesn't hurt to add yourself a chance! (same UN experience here and applying to OX so really want you to get in)
- Current Course:

As @rabbitrobi said, go for it. I’d say 67.5 meets the definition of strong upper class anyway so it looks like you meet the requirements - why not give it a go? Your working experience seems impressive and it will definitely be useful so don’t sell yourself short there
God! go for it! It's just 75 pounds you would have spent the money elsewhere anyway. It doesn't hurt to add yourself a chance! (same UN experience here and applying to OX so really want you to get in)

Haha this made me smile! You are right and I needed this push. Which degree are you applying for? I hope you get in too!!
Haha this made me smile! You are right and I needed this push. Which degree are you applying for? I hope you get in too!!

msc in social anthropology. i have mediocre grades as well but I too worked for years. there's no way they get to assess us on grades alone. I'm taking the "what if" approach for my application: what if I get admitted, lol.

wish you best of luck!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by k92e67
Does anyone know if you can submit your application even if your referees haven't submitted their references? My course requires 3 references so should I wait for at least 2 to be done before I submit my application?

Yes you can! I submitted my app but my referees are still working on the references. After you submit the app you will be able to access the self-service portal and track recommendations/send reminders to your referees!
Reply 119
- Current Course:

Hi there, definitely go for it! I am applying for the same course and I graduated with a 2.1 with only a year's worth of experience! I am recent grad and my chances are low so Ahhhh fingers crossed! Good luck with your application : D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending