Book for PS: industrial economics/management?

Watch
kobla
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Does anyone know any economics books focused on industrial organisation or management?
I'm planning to apply to undergrad courses like econ&management and econ&industrial organisation and can't find anything at all that covers these topics apart from textbooks to put on my personal statement :/
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Mona123456 any recommendations for OP?
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Mona123456 any recommendations for OP?
Thanks for the tag!

So, OP, for management and industrial economics it’s usually less textbook based and more based on academic papers or books.

First off, I’d really recommend this reading list from the Saïd Business School. Pick maybe two or three books from there after reading the book summaries online, to get your started and then see if within those books there’s something specific that you’re curious about - for personal statements especially, one book leading you to another creates a good chain of showing how your interest has developed:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxf...g_list_pdf.pdf

I’d also recommend ‘A Very Short Introduction to Management’ from Oxford University Press - it’s a really good, concise introduction to the field.

Things like The Economist, Financial Times and BBC Business pages are good for more general reading.

If you’re planning to apply to straight Economics courses though, don’t worry too much about having a lot on industrial organisation and management. I had one paragraph on industrial organisation and management, the rest was mainly economics orientated, and I applied for 3 straight Economics courses, one E&M course and one E&IO course and received offers for all 5.

Best of luck!
kobla
Rep:
(Original post by Mona123456)
Thanks for the tag!

So, OP, for management and industrial economics it’s usually less textbook based and more based on academic papers or books.

First off, I’d really recommend this reading list from the Saïd Business School. Pick maybe two or three books from there after reading the book summaries online, to get your started and then see if within those books there’s something specific that you’re curious about - for personal statements especially, one book leading you to another creates a good chain of showing how your interest has developed:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxf...g_list_pdf.pdf

I’d also recommend ‘A Very Short Introduction to Management’ from Oxford University Press - it’s a really good, concise introduction to the field.

Things like The Economist, Financial Times and BBC Business pages are good for more general reading.

If you’re planning to apply to straight Economics courses though, don’t worry too much about having a lot on industrial organisation and management. I had one paragraph on industrial organisation and management, the rest was mainly economics orientated, and I applied for 3 straight Economics courses, one E&M course and one E&IO course and received offers for all 5.

Best of luck!
Thank you for advice, Mona! My course choice is the same as yours (3 for straight econ and 2 for E&IO and E&M), so this is very helpful.
Would you say the short introduction to management book is suitable to be put on PS or do you recommend it to just get a general idea of what interests me within the field?
Also, it is a bit of a silly question, but what is the actual difference between management and industrial organisation? I looked at the course structures for these and what i understood was that industrial economics is more about markets, whereas management is focusing on individual firms; is that correct?
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kobla)
Thank you for advice, Mona! My course choice is the same as yours (3 for straight econ and 2 for E&IO and E&M), so this is very helpful.
Would you say the short introduction to management book is suitable to be put on PS or do you recommend it to just get a general idea of what interests me within the field?
Also, it is a bit of a silly question, but what is the actual difference between management and industrial organisation? I looked at the course structures for these and what i understood was that industrial economics is more about markets, whereas management is focusing on individual firms; is that correct?
No problem. I would recommend reading the VSI book to give you a general idea about management, but personally wouldn’t mention it on a personal statement.

Management is a separate academic field, whereas industrial organisation is a subset of economics, I believe.

A management definition:

Management is concerned with the effective use and coordination of materials and labour within an organisation in the pursuit of its defined objectives. Management considers the interrelationship and interactions between distinct parts of an organisation, and between the organisation and its environment.

Source: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...nd-management#

An industrial organisation definition:

Industrial organization is a field of economics dealing with the strategic behavior of firms, regulatory policy, antitrust policy and market competition. Industrial organization applies the economic theory of price to industries.

Source: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i...ganization.asp

Hopefully that answers your question. There are certainly parallels and similarities between management and industrial organisation though, in my opinion.
kobla
Rep:
(Original post by Mona123456)
No problem. I would recommend reading the VSI book to give you a general idea about management, but personally wouldn’t mention it on a personal statement.

Management is a separate academic field, whereas industrial organisation is a subset of economics, I believe.

A management definition:

Management is concerned with the effective use and coordination of materials and labour within an organisation in the pursuit of its defined objectives. Management considers the interrelationship and interactions between distinct parts of an organisation, and between the organisation and its environment.

Source: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...nd-management#

An industrial organisation definition:

Industrial organization is a field of economics dealing with the strategic behavior of firms, regulatory policy, antitrust policy and market competition. Industrial organization applies the economic theory of price to industries.

Source: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i...ganization.asp

Hopefully that answers your question. There are certainly parallels and similarities between management and industrial organisation though, in my opinion.
thank you 🙏
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
6.87%
October 2021 (194)
45.97%
November 2021 (44)
10.43%
December 2021 (56)
13.27%
January 2021 (46)
10.9%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.24%