Gerrard88
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Do you think a 2 hour travel to uni is reasonable. I want to stay at home for uni, therefore limits my options. The uni that’s closest to me requires an A*AA for maths, which I’ll never get, and the next closest unis, for maths, are like 2hrs away on the train.

Also how long does it take you guys to travel to uni?
s.hazard
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I think it’s not worth it if it’s more than an hour because you’d waste a lot of time travelling in a day, that’s 4 hours! irrespective of travel or closures. Besides trains are unreliable, mine cancel all the time. You’d save more time if you live out and learn a lot more too!
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Is that 2 hours each way or 2 hours total? And is that 2 hours literally door to door or would you have to travel from the station at each end too?

Personally, I think 2 hours total door to door isn’t awful, but anymore than that just starts to get too much. That would really add to your uni day which could make you pretty tired. Also, do the trains run late in case you want to do extra curriculars or hang out with friends or study later?

Only you can really say what you’re willing to do, but I would suggest that more than 2 hours total travel could have a negative effect on your studying time and social life.
Gerrard88
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
Is that 2 hours each way or 2 hours total? And is that 2 hours literally door to door or would you have to travel from the station at each end too?

Personally, I think 2 hours total door to door isn’t awful, but anymore than that just starts to get too much. That would really add to your uni day which could make you pretty tired. Also, do the trains run late in case you want to do extra curriculars or hang out with friends or study later?

Only you can really say what you’re willing to do, but I would suggest that more than 2 hours total travel could have a negative effect on your studying time and social life.
Two hours each way, and yes, door to door. I haven’t thought about wether they run trains till late, so I’ll look into that.

Thanks for the reply.
Gerrard88
Rep:
?
(Original post by s.hazard)
I think it’s not worth it if it’s more than an hour because you’d waste a lot of time travelling in a day, that’s 4 hours! irrespective of travel or closures. Besides trains are unreliable, mine cancel all the time. You’d save more time if you live out and learn a lot more too!
I kinda want to, but I don’t think I’ll be able to afford it tbh as my parents won’t be able to support me financially.

Thanks for the reply.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
My commute is 90 mins door to door but that includes buffer for tube being a bit slow and time at university to have a wee and 10 mins to chat to class mates. That’s getting across London. If it was an actual train I’d have to give a bigger margin of error to catch one before the one that would get me there on time, in case one isn’t running.
(I am a mature student and don’t think boyfriend wants to share student hall with me and a load of people half our age)
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'd say 2 hours is a bit too much even a hour (each way) is still too much.
Are the two hours door to door?
Is that each way or the total travel time?
either way it's a lot lets take the example it's each way and it's door to door. lets say you have a 9 am lecture you'd need to leave the house at 7am at the latest so you'd be getting up at 6:30 each morning your in so you'll be knackered fr your lectures or how about if your lectures finish at 8pm (happened to me in first year) you'd be back at 9 or 10pm.

Ok I should have read other answers before commenting but two hours each way is really not worth it your spending 4 hours travelling each day which is terrible you need that time for effective studying and the problem is you can't do that on a train or bus. you can do busy work or housekeeping but you really can't get a good session in.

It will also effect your social life you not going to travel 8 hours a day 2 to uni 2 back home to get ready 2 back to the uni city for the club 2 home after the club (for instance) and societies will be way out of the questions will night out with other people. So one of the major reasons why people say uni is the best time of their lives will be pretty impossible.

Also although you may only be in 3 days a week it likely you'll need to go to uni every day wether it's for the library to see a lecturer you use a program or equipment the uni has but you don't. Or to do a group project. This can mean your actually paying the same amount as you'd pay for halls in train fares also don't forget you get less loan as a commuting student. If your parents are charging you rent as well halls can workout cheaper.

Also your time table could be quite brutal in two ways:

• As i mentioned above I had a day in first year that finished at 8 that was from 9-1 a 1 hour break then from 2-4 1 hour break then 5-8 you've got 4 hours travel on top of that you've been up a 6:30 that morning you'll burn out just to add to that I had a 9-7 day with only an hour the day before (my course was pretty full on.)and travelling is tiering.
  • Long breaks can be just as tough for a commuting student your probably envisaging 4 hour breaks where you can get a bit of work done then you can happily trundle off to your lecture (know I did). In reality (in second year i had a lecture and lab from 9-11 then 8 yes 8 hour break of course you can study in the time but you can't study for 8 hours strait you'll burnout again.
Halls help avoiding these burnouts in halls it would play out like this

• You wake up at half 8 go to you 9-1 session complain over lunch with your mates about how long the day is go to your 2-4 o'clock get some more to eat (because your going to have a late supper) the go to the final push 5-8 then you walk maybe half an hour back to your halls and you can relax maybe even go out later on if you aren't too knackered from your full on day.

• You go to your two morning lectures 9-11. You then go back to your halls (or the library) and do a little studying or working on projects. you can then play some video games watch some Netflix surf the net whatever you feel like really then you go to your 6-7 lecture go back to your halls and go out.

You see it's easier

Also the library is close by and it's easy to just pop in if you need to if you were two hours away it's major journey because it's 4 hours for something that may just take 5 minis or so.

What if you had an exam and your train is cancelled or really late you're really screwed because train delays are not accepted as EC one of my course mates learned that the hard way.

I know you might want to stay at home but halls are part of uni particually in first year and they really do help your academics social life everything really and 4 hours traveling is a long time. If you're dead set on staying at home I'd look at a distance learning degree like the OU or some "normal" unis also offer that as an option.
Last edited by jonathanemptage; 5 months ago
s.hazard
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
most people get enough maintenance loan to pay for accomodation!
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Two hours every day each way would be, but if say only 3 days per week (100 times a year) perhaps worth considering.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
true. its only for a proportion of the year, and first term may be entirely online anyway?
then semester 2 is Jan-Easter and next semester is exams and so only attend a few times.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (347)
55.61%
I don't have everything I need (277)
44.39%

Watched Threads