OrangePanda284
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hey everyone,
I was just curious to what you think the best A levels to take are for archeology? thanks
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
apolaroidofus
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I imagine history would be a good place to start. Archaeology is quite a broad discipline so I expect that a lot of A-levels would prepare you well for the course. Latin and Greek may be useful (assuming your school offers these) but I would assume that sciences, maths, English, geography, social sciences, etc would also prove to be a good preparation. Oxford list 'a combination of arts and science subjects' as useful for their arch and anth course
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by OrangePanda284)
hey everyone,
I was just curious to what you think the best A levels to take are for archeology? thanks
Hi there.

Ironically I have just been speaking to an archeologist (who studied this at Sheffield uni). I will ask him which A levels he recommends.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Look on unis websites to see if there are any specific ones they require.
History, geography and maths seem like good choices.
Biology also seems like a good back up.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hey everyone,
Hi there!

Have just asked my friend, who is a qualified archeologist. He recommends history, and geology (WJEC offer it, but I am aware this may not be available in your school). Otherwise there are some good suggestions above.

Oxford has topped the world as best archeology degree again this year. However my friend, who qualified, at Sheffield uni, recommends UCL and his own uni.

Why Sheffield?

He says the professors were great, he had access to work in the Hebrides and go inside the stone circles of Stonehenge (sooo jealous). In fact with his course he had the chance to work anywhere in the world!

in his time he has excavated around Newark Castle (and found Saxon remains) and spent two years excavating an archeological site in Lincoln. His first job was coincidentally, working with the water board in my little medieval village. They were laying some pipes and they wanted to make sure they were not digging up anything important.

I did ask him about how digs would work with Covid, and he mentioned something about field archeology, if that means anything to you.
OrangePanda284
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you!! I chose; geology, history and geography. Everything you've said sounds so interesting and gets me so excited to study archaeology at any university that'll have me 😳. I haven't thought much about which university I want to go to, but Sheffield sounds great and Oxford would be a dream - I'm not sure I'll meet their entry requirements however. Regardless, thank you!
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hey everyone,
Thanks for repping my comment, OP. My friend will be absolutely thrilled he was able to help.

If you have any questions I can put to him, please ask. He is the kind of excentric guy who drives around with bits of Roman pottery in the boot of his clapped out car. He said they were worthless, but it's great if you can find a Roman thumb print on them! He also loves ploughed fields, as they can often actually unearth some pretty interesting remains.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you!! I chose; geology, history and geography. Everything you've said sounds so interesting and gets me so excited to study archaeology at any university that'll have me 😳. I haven't thought much about which university I want to go to, but Sheffield sounds great and Oxford would be a dream - I'm not sure I'll meet their entry requirements however. Regardless, thank you!
It sounds as if you are doing the correct A levels, doesn't it?

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/archaeology

This is his amazing course at Sheffield

Acceptable A levels for this course

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergra...apply/alevels#

(and all three that you have chosen apply)
OrangePanda284
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Thanks for repping my comment, OP. My friend will be absolutely thrilled he was able to help.

If you have any questions I can put to him, please ask. He is the kind of excentric guy who drives around with bits of Roman pottery in the boot of his clapped out car. He said they were worthless, but it's great if you can find a Roman thumb print on them! He also loves ploughed fields, as they can often actually unearth some pretty interesting remains.
Your friend sounds awesome 😂. You genuinely have help a lot, so thank you. Funnily enough, I've found myself watching archeology videos in places like the gym 😂. Hopefully the virus doesn't affect you and your friend much, thanks again.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your friend sounds awesome 😂. You genuinely have help a lot, so thank you. Funnily enough, I've found myself watching archeology videos in places like the gym 😂. Hopefully the virus doesn't affect you and your friend much, thanks again.
Yes, you can always watch TV programmes about archeology. My friend does that, too. I have lived in my village since I was 10. But when he came to see me the other day and I showed him my village he was commenting on it (he took a joint BA honours in ancient history). He inspected the church (from 1088) and many other sights. It was a real eye opener. It just made me see my home village in a completely different way.
5CopperPipes
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't forget that Archaeology degrees can be BA or BSc, so look carefully at a range of universities like Sheffield, York, UCL,
Manchester, Oxford and Bournemouth and delve into the various modules, to see which suits you best, ie are you more on the arts side than sciences? Some have more of a focus on field-work than others. Then you can start to narrow down which A Levels you feel are best for you.

UCL's Institute of Archaeology has a world-renowned reputation and a degree from there is highly valued.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 5CopperPipes)
Don't forget that Archaeology degrees can be BA or BSc, so look carefully at a range of universities like Sheffield, York, UCL,
Manchester, Oxford and Bournemouth and delve into the various modules, to see which suits you best, ie are you more on the arts side than sciences? Some have more of a focus on field-work than others. Then you can start to narrow down which A Levels you feel are best for you.

UCL's Institute of Archaeology has a world-renowned reputation and a degree from there is highly valued.
So my friend was right, then
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Those are great subjects. I went to Liverpool (Egyptology, but in the archaeology department) and people came from a very diverse background in terms of previous subjects - from hard sciences to humanities. I myself did Economics, English Literature and History, and found it fine.
OrangePanda284
Rep:
?
(Original post by Edminzodo)
Those are great subjects. I went to Liverpool (Egyptology, but in the archaeology department) and people came from a very diverse background in terms of previous subjects - from hard sciences to humanities. I myself did Economics, English Literature and History, and found it fine.
That's amazing, I had no idea there was a whole archeology division for Egypt?
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's amazing, I had no idea there was a whole archeology division for Egypt?
There is! And also for Assyriology. It's like Classics, but for Egypt! Let me know if you want to know anything more about it! There's also archaeology degrees based on human evolution etc - such a diverse subject!
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Edminzodo)
There is! And also for Assyriology. It's like Classics, but for Egypt! Let me know if you want to know anything more about it! There's also archaeology degrees based on human evolution etc - such a diverse subject!
That's fascinating.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads