The Student Room Group

Self conscious from past relationship

Ever since I broke up with my ex I’ve been really self conscious about the way I look. I remember once I told my ex I wasn’t feeling beautiful and he said ‘put some more makeup then’ and was constantly bringing up the idea of me dying my hair blonde in an ombré style when I didn’t really want it done. His type was a Kylie Jenner look and someone who had a very hyper heterosexual look. Ever since then every time I go on social media I always feel really self conscious every time I look at pictures of celebrities of girls I always feel like I need to look a certain way or fit in. His type was white girls and I’m not white and felt like I wasn’t good enough and he didn’t do much to reassure me. Before I met him I had really high self esteem and believed I was a worthy person but ever since I was with him I look at pictures and see other girls and feel like I’ll never be good enough for a man because I’ll never be what he’s looking for because I don’t look that way. I’m a beautiful girl, I know this. But the problem is that I don’t have plastic surgery, I don’t wear a lot of makeup and I have natural hair. Ever since I’ve been with him he’s honestly made me feel so bad about the way I look. I can’t leave the house without wearing a whole baked face of makeup. I’ve become so insecure and my friends have seen this drastic change. I used to love leaving the house and now I don’t leave at all. I feel like I’m disgusting to look at sometimes. How can I gain my confidence back? I want to be the girl I was before I met him
Original post by Anonymous
Ever since I broke up with my ex I’ve been really self conscious about the way I look. I remember once I told my ex I wasn’t feeling beautiful and he said ‘put some more makeup then’ and was constantly bringing up the idea of me dying my hair blonde in an ombré style when I didn’t really want it done. His type was a Kylie Jenner look and someone who had a very hyper heterosexual look. Ever since then every time I go on social media I always feel really self conscious every time I look at pictures of celebrities of girls I always feel like I need to look a certain way or fit in. His type was white girls and I’m not white and felt like I wasn’t good enough and he didn’t do much to reassure me. Before I met him I had really high self esteem and believed I was a worthy person but ever since I was with him I look at pictures and see other girls and feel like I’ll never be good enough for a man because I’ll never be what he’s looking for because I don’t look that way. I’m a beautiful girl, I know this. But the problem is that I don’t have plastic surgery, I don’t wear a lot of makeup and I have natural hair. Ever since I’ve been with him he’s honestly made me feel so bad about the way I look. I can’t leave the house without wearing a whole baked face of makeup. I’ve become so insecure and my friends have seen this drastic change. I used to love leaving the house and now I don’t leave at all. I feel like I’m disgusting to look at sometimes. How can I gain my confidence back? I want to be the girl I was before I met him

This comes from having a low self esteem which is not good for your personal growth. Just accept yourself the way you are and be confident as you walk out and within no time you will be good to go
Unfollow all the people that make you feel sh*t about yourself on insta and start following those who go about a more natural make up free body positivity look, esp those who look similar to you.

The ultimate one up on your ex is to become even more confident within yourself so work towards that.
Watch those documentaries that show you how airbrushed models etc are and how insta filters etc give a false sense of how one should be.

Talk, talk with your trusted friends and family about how you feel.

Slowly venture out there, slowly start wearing less make up. Or you could do the cold turkey technique too until you feel confident about yourself then you wear whatever whenever.

Fake it til you make it. Go without the makeup and just fake confidence. Pretty soon you'll find it just went into hiding.
Your ex shouldn’t want to change you, don’t change for anyone, u are good enough and someone will see that and accept u for u ❤️. Everything u see on social media isn’t always real, it’s all about the angles and the majority of them are just as insecure as u they get judged all the time + they have a tone of plastic surgery. Natural beauty is the best beauty tbh. U are worthy of love and it’s okay for people to have a preference but he’s stupid for being with u if he’s into white girls and yeah maybe he liked your personality but physical attraction does matter to some extent in the beginning. I would just surround yourself around positive people, remove any negative people from your life and avoid social media for a little while or ignore the celebrities so u can focus on your self- love.
I've literally been through this exact same thing. LISTEN, he did you so wrong overlooking your natural beauty like that. What you need to do is remind yourself just how truly f***ing stunning you are. Natural beauty tops aaanythinngg these mf's on instagram etc try to fake.

1. Detox. You need soem distance from social media and aall this ******** that makes you think that you're not good enough, they're selling you lies. If you can't go cold turkey kn social media, actively go through your feed and remove each and everythi that maked you feel like crap. Then find posts that do make you feel good, posts that emphasise genuine natural beauty - flaws and all.

2. Change things up. What have you always wanted to try? Not him, npt anypne else. What is something you have always looked at and thought "I really like this but maybe it's not for me." or "I can't pull this off". Try new looks and outfits and have fun with it.

3. Treat yourself well. Look after your skin, eat good food, exercise, drink water. It's hard to feel good about yourself when you aren't looking after your body. Health is attractive. Knowing how to look after yourself is attractive.

You are strong and beautiful and I'm so proud of you for noticing this and pushing back from all this negativity.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

I’m so sorry that you’ve been through that. Although we’ve never met each other, I know that you’re beautiful. We all are beautiful in our own way.

He wasn’t meant for you girl. He clearly wanted you to fit with his ideal type. But don’t change. You are you. You’re not Kylie Jenner. If he wants someone like Kylie Jenner then, why don’t he date the original one, right? Lol. But too bad, he can’t have her🤪

The right one will love you for who you are.
The right one will make you feel loved. You just haven’t met him. Delete his number and unfollow him in all social media. Show him that you CAN LIVE WITHOUT HIM. you don’t need him. even myself don’t want someone like him too. He needs to learn how to love right.

You’re beautiful girl. Always say that to yourself. Work out, do skin care routine, and eat healthy. Start being productive and always distract yourself by doing things you love. You’re probably heart broken, but don’t do anything that’ll harm urself. You’re independent, I know you are. You will be okay, maybe not for now. But you will, it just takes time. Get rid off things that reminds you of him. Get up girl, it’s time to shine again.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Joy D
I’m so sorry that you’ve been through that. Although we’ve never met each other, I know that you’re beautiful. We all are beautiful in our own way.

He wasn’t meant for you girl. He clearly wanted you to fit with his ideal type. But don’t change. You are you. You’re not Kylie Jenner. If he wants someone like Kylie Jenner then, why don’t he date the original one, right? Lol. But too bad, he can’t have her🤪

The right one will love you for who you are.
The right one will make you feel loved. You just haven’t met him. Delete his number and unfollow him in all social media. Show him that you CAN LIVE WITHOUT HIM. you don’t need him. even myself don’t want someone like him too. He needs to learn how to love right.

You’re beautiful girl. Always say that to yourself. Work out, do skin care routine, and eat healthy. Start being productive and always distract yourself by doing things you love. You’re probably heart broken, but don’t do anything that’ll harm urself. You’re independent, I know you are. You will be okay, maybe not for now. But you will, it just takes time. Get rid off things that reminds you of him. Get up girl, it’s time to shine again.

Thank you so much 🥺🥺 you’ve literally made my day x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending