The Student Room Group

Sheffield Urban Planning's status in the UK

I'm from overseas (Hong Kong) and I recently applied for UCAS and claimed a place in Urban Planning in Sheffield. The problem comes up when I also get an offer from my local university (CUHK), which ranks 47 in QS, comparing to Sheffield's 93. Therefore I have to start looking into the employability and status of Sheffield to compare.

Is Sheffield's Urban Planning really that renowned, or prestigious, in its field? Assuming I will find a job in the UK in long term, is it wise to give up a higher ranking university and study in Sheffield? I need some opinions thanksss.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
This is what my teacher said. I had an offer to do urban planning at Sheffield and architecture at Nottingham when I told him he said that urban planning has very few jobs available and when you try and find a job it is very difficult. I'm not sure about the course, whether it is renowned or employability but you could always look on league tables they're pretty useful, just type in league tables for urban planning and it should come up. If you do stay applying for a better university would seem more sensible as you would more likely be able to get a job. But if you want to get a new experience moving would definitely seem better unless they have a year abroad at CUHK. I'd say write down your pros and cons and then choose from there.
Reply 2
Original post by aenerel
This is what my teacher said. I had an offer to do urban planning at Sheffield and architecture at Nottingham when I told him he said that urban planning has very few jobs available and when you try and find a job it is very difficult. I'm not sure about the course, whether it is renowned or employability but you could always look on league tables they're pretty useful, just type in league tables for urban planning and it should come up. If you do stay applying for a better university would seem more sensible as you would more likely be able to get a job. But if you want to get a new experience moving would definitely seem better unless they have a year abroad at CUHK. I'd say write down your pros and cons and then choose from there.

So... the planning industry in the UK is pretty saturated? Known any other pathways? :0
Reply 3
Original post by big_ooof
So... the planning industry in the UK is pretty saturated? Known any other pathways? :0

No, I'm sorry, I haven't researched it. You could try similar pathways such as architecture its very different but you may like it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm getting more hesitated anyone help me with some information lol
Reply 5
Honestly, my advice go with something you've researched and are actually interested in. There is no point you wasting 20k a year to do something you don't enjoy and because of that you don't try and get a bad grade. If you really want to do the urban planning course stick with it and get the best grade you can, come out and you probably will get a job. Although it may or may not be in urban planning it probably will be similar (It is all dictated by you). I know a guy who trained as an architect but got a job for the local council.

Sheffield job prospects:
'Most of our graduates go on to work in planning or a related career in the built environment professions, including housing, transport planning, development control, forward planning, regeneration, urban design, heritage and conservation.

Recent graduates have gone on to work for public and private sector organisations such as AECOM, Arup, CBRE, Deloitte, Harrow London Borough Council, Sheffield City Council and the Lake District National Park Authority. More than half of our graduate planners take up posts with planning consultancies and several are employed by major global built environment firms.'

They also offer placements which means if you make the right impression job finding would be easy as you have connections:
'Urban Studies and Planning MPlan
Placements take place in Level 2 Summer and Level 3 Easter time. This is required for the RTPI accreditation of your course.

Although placements are usually 2 weeks long each year, with a total of 4 weeks at the end of the year we encourage students to look for as much as experience as possible.'

They also sit as one of the most prestigious in the UK coming third after UCL and Cambridge and graduate prospects at 95%
Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 01.18.10.png
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks, I'm feeling a lot secured now. And not to worry, urban planning is what I'm interested in. :h:

Original post by aenerel
Honestly, my advice go with something you've researched and are actually interested in. There is no point you wasting 20k a year to do something you don't enjoy and because of that you don't try and get a bad grade. If you really want to do the urban planning course stick with it and get the best grade you can, come out and you probably will get a job. Although it may or may not be in urban planning it probably will be similar (It is all dictated by you). I know a guy who trained as an architect but got a job for the local council.

Sheffield job prospects:
'Most of our graduates go on to work in planning or a related career in the built environment professions, including housing, transport planning, development control, forward planning, regeneration, urban design, heritage and conservation.

Recent graduates have gone on to work for public and private sector organisations such as AECOM, Arup, CBRE, Deloitte, Harrow London Borough Council, Sheffield City Council and the Lake District National Park Authority. More than half of our graduate planners take up posts with planning consultancies and several are employed by major global built environment firms.'

They also offer placements which means if you make the right impression job finding would be easy as you have connections:
'Urban Studies and Planning MPlan
Placements take place in Level 2 Summer and Level 3 Easter time. This is required for the RTPI accreditation of your course.

Although placements are usually 2 weeks long each year, with a total of 4 weeks at the end of the year we encourage students to look for as much as experience as possible.'

They also sit as one of the most prestigious in the UK coming third after UCL and Cambridge and graduate prospects at 95%
Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 01.18.10.png
Original post by big_ooof
Thanks, I'm feeling a lot secured now. And not to worry, urban planning is what I'm interested in. :h:

Hi! I’m also an applicant to Sheffield’s urban planning from HK. I had been worrying about the career prospect for so long. Thanks so much for your sharing as this has also reinforced my determination to study urban planning in UK! :smile:
Reply 9
Hi I’m also probably gonna firm Sheffield form urban planning, so are you guys too?
Congratulations for getting an offer! I actually still haven’t submitted my application through UCAS yet. (Should submit it within these two days) Do you think it’s a bit late now which may reduce the chance to get the offer successfully? Cuz it seems like they had delivered offers already.
I’m really not familiar with the application. Anyway it’s good to have someone with similar goal!
Original post by Karena Cheung
Congratulations for getting an offer! I actually still haven’t submitted my application through UCAS yet. (Should submit it within these two days) Do you think it’s a bit late now which may reduce the chance to get the offer successfully? Cuz it seems like they had delivered offers already.
I’m really not familiar with the application. Anyway it’s good to have someone with similar goal!

Hi @Karena Cheung,

All applications sent via UCAS before 6pm on the 29th of January will be considered equally - regardless of the actual date of submission. The date was originally the 15th of January, but UCAS have added an extension to help students who are now studying from home.

Your chances of receiving an offer are not impacted compared to students who applied earlier on, provided you meet this deadline!

Do let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

- Ben
Sheffield Graduate
BSc Molecular Biology, MSc Human and Molecular Genetics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending