Best laptop for BEng Mechanical Engineering

Watch
StarStudent01
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi!
I will be starting my BEng Mechanical Engineering degree, this September. I have to buy a new laptop, but am not sure which one would be the best. Could someone please let me know which laptop you use (especially Mechanical engineers), and/ or which one you think would be the best, considering the fact that lectures are likely to be online, and I might have to run softwares such as Matlab, Solidworks and Ansys Fluent on the laptop. Thanks a lot!
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by StarStudent01)
Hi!
I will be starting my BEng Mechanical Engineering degree, this September. I have to buy a new laptop, but am not sure which one would be the best. Could someone please let me know which laptop you use (especially Mechanical engineers), and/ or which one you think would be the best, considering the fact that lectures are likely to be online, and I might have to run softwares such as Matlab, Solidworks and Ansys Fluent on the laptop. Thanks a lot!
What's your budget? For things like Fluent you want as much processing power and RAM as you can get, with at least a bit of graphics horsepower thrown in for good measure.
boulderingislife
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Just get the lightest windows laptop you can than has an i5 processor and at least 4gb of ram. Don’t worry about whether it has ssd or not. Normally you can add this and upgrade ram yourself.
StarStudent01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
What's your budget? For things like Fluent you want as much processing power and RAM as you can get, with at least a bit of graphics horsepower thrown in for good measure.
My budget is around 400-500 pounds. Could you please tell me which laptop/ laptop brand you would suggest, just so that I have an idea of what to look for? And thank you soo much for taking the time to reply!!
StarStudent01
Rep:
?
(Original post by boulderingislife)
Just get the lightest windows laptop you can than has an i5 processor and at least 4gb of ram. Don’t worry about whether it has ssd or not. Normally you can add this and upgrade ram yourself.
Okay, thank you so much!! I'll consider that while choosing a laptop
StarStudent01
Rep:
?
I've been looking into this laptop by HP, but am not sure whether it would be a good choice. I'd really appreciate if someone could look into its specification (I've attached it below), and let me know if I should buy it. Thanks!
Attached files
Lara Habib
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi!
Hey I would suggest either a HP,Dell or Microsoft Laptop - lots of people have been going for Microsoft surface pro laptops because they are portable, very light and also compatible with a stylus pen which means if any mathematical or physics notes can be taken alongside typed notes or the lecture slides given.Possibly find a two in one laptop as being able to change it from a laptop to a tablet to write your online notes on will be massively helpful.

In terms of getting the best spec I agree with the above (Core i5 is good with at least 6BG RAM) but honestly it doesn't need to be the best specs because all of the softwares you will use will be done in a lab with the uni computers that run it way faster and with a full browsing screen page. So just go with the one that is not too expensive but has good reviews. I would suggest having a search on JohnLewis, Microsoft store (if ur going for Microsoft as they give student discounts) or Argos. I wouldn't recommend getting it from Curry's unless ur going just to try it in person because their returns/exchange are a headache even if its under two weeks.

Good Luck - where are you studying?
boulderingislife
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Okay, thank you so much!! I'll consider that while choosing a laptop
No worries. Shouldn’t need to spend more than £500 for a decent laptop. Anything more than that and you start paying for the brand *cough* apple *cough*
StarStudent01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lara Habib)
Hey I would suggest either a HP,Dell or Microsoft Laptop - lots of people have been going for Microsoft surface pro laptops because they are portable, very light and also compatible with a stylus pen which means if any mathematical or physics notes can be taken alongside typed notes or the lecture slides given.Possibly find a two in one laptop as being able to change it from a laptop to a tablet to write your online notes on will be massively helpful.

In terms of getting the best spec I agree with the above (Core i5 is good with at least 6BG RAM) but honestly it doesn't need to be the best specs because all of the softwares you will use will be done in a lab with the uni computers that run it way faster and with a full browsing screen page. So just go with the one that is not too expensive but has good reviews. I would suggest having a search on JohnLewis, Microsoft store (if ur going for Microsoft as they give student discounts) or Argos. I wouldn't recommend getting it from Curry's unless ur going just to try it in person because their returns/exchange are a headache even if its under two weeks.

Good Luck - where are you studying?
Thanks a lot for answering in such detail! I'll now definitely aim for the above mentioned brands and a laptop with core i5.
I'll be starting BEng Mechanical Engineering at the University of Manchester
StarStudent01
Rep:
?
(Original post by boulderingislife)
No worries. Shouldn’t need to spend more than £500 for a decent laptop. Anything more than that and you start paying for the brand *cough* apple *cough*
Yes, that's very true
Lara Habib
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thanks a lot for answering in such detail! I'll now definitely aim for the above mentioned brands and a laptop with core i5.
I'll be starting BEng Mechanical Engineering at the University of Manchester
awesome time studying mechanical engineering as well. hope it all goes well for you
StarStudent01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lara Habib)
awesome time studying mechanical engineering as well. hope it all goes well for you
Thank you soo much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (133)
61.57%
I don't have everything I need (83)
38.43%

Watched Threads