Why is this SO EXPENSIVE?!!!!

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
So I got my driver's license a few days ago and am looking for car insurance now but everything is so f'***ing expensive?! I swear its not usually this expensive (I'm talking in excess of £1800) and at this rate, I won't actually be able to drive until 6 months later because that's when the insurance starts going down....
Why is it so expensive?? My parents combined pay £300 and somehow mine is 6 times more expensive
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I got my driver's license a few days ago and am looking for car insurance now but everything is so f'***ing expensive?! I swear its not usually this expensive (I'm talking in excess of £1800) and at this rate, I won't actually be able to drive until 6 months later because that's when the insurance starts going down....
Why is it so expensive?? My parents combined pay £300 and somehow mine is 6 times more expensive
Wait until you are in your 30s or 40s, then it'll be cheap (assuming you have a good few years' No Claims Discount).

The downside is, you are a decade and a half older.

Take your pick - would you rather be old or have cheap car insurance? I know which one I'd choose.
Last edited by ecolier; 2 months ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
Wait until you are in your 30s or 40s, then it'll be cheap (assuming you have a good few years' No Claims Discount).

The downside is, you are a decade and a half older.

Take your pick - would you rather be old or have cheap car insurance? I know which one I'd choose.
Wait so you're telling me I shouldn't drive until I'm 30?!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
No, I'm saying when you're 30 you'll wish you were 17 / 18 but paying those premiums.

Expensive car insurance when you're young is a fact of life, there's no getting around it.
Anonymous #1
So I'm gonna have to be paying in excess of £1000??
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I paid that 10 years ago, think how much that was worth in today's money.

Anyway, there are ways to reduce the premiums slightly - like increasing your excess, reducing your annual mileage, using a black box (mixed comments), getting a less-risky car etc. etc.

Your premiums will reduce with time as you get older and start building your No Claims Discount. It's part of growing up.
Last edited by ecolier; 2 months ago
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yes, even group 1 insurance cars will be expensive to insure when you start out with no history whatsoever. You seem to be very misinformed about insurance costs if you think £1000 is a lot for a new driver.

It will vary according to other factors, like the postcode, area kept, etc, however over £1000 is very common for new drivers.
Last edited by RedGiant; 2 months ago
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That is typical at your (assumed) age.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Because new drivers, statistically, have lots of accidents, relative to more experienced ones.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
A black box, limited mileage and a basic car, with experienced drivers as named drivers, all help to bring the price down but your postcode will have a big effect
We paid just under £900 for our 17 yr old daughter last year and renewal was under £600.
Last edited by ReadingMum; 2 months ago
dking2001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Because new drivers, statistically, have lots of accidents, relative to more experienced ones.
^ Exactly this. Costs are based on the risk of groups having accidents and leading to claims. If you have not already asked for quotes including a black box to help reduce the cost you could try that.
TheYearNiner
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you can't afford to pay £1800 for insurance then don't drive because you may face many others costs attributed to wear and tear
FingersXedAgain
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Shop around. Remember to look at comprehensive insurance as it’s actually cheaper than 3rd party fire and theft. Oh and make sure you aren’t trying to insure an expensive car and to set a decent excess.
FingersXedAgain
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ReadingMum)
A black box, limited mileage and a basic car, with experienced drivers as named drivers, all help to bring the price down but your postcode will have a big effect
We paid just under £900 for our 17 yr old daughter last year and renewal was under £600.
Exactly. My first year was £750 because I shopped around and did the above.
Anonymous #1
I'm not planning on buying my own car and am just gonna be driving my parent's (since our family only have one car) so when it comes to mileage, would I need to put my personal mileage or the whole cars?
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm not planning on buying my own car and am just gonna be driving my parent's (since our family only have one car) so when it comes to mileage, would I need to put my personal mileage or the whole cars?
Why are you insuring it then? The simplest way is for your parents to add you as a named driver. The insurance company will ask for percentage use information.

What is the car?
Anonymous #1
Why are you insuring it then? The simplest way is for your parents to add you as a named driver. The insurance company will ask for percentage use information.

What is the car?
My mum was saying that if I was to get into an accident then the insurance won’t cover since I’m not the owner or registered keeper of the car
dking2001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
^ Exactly this. Costs are based on the risk of groups having accidents and leading to claims. If you have not already asked for quotes including a black box to help reduce the cost you could try that.

My mum was saying that if I was to get into an accident then the insurance won’t cover since I’m not the owner or registered keeper of the car
Thats not correct. If your Mum owns the car and is the main insurer and you are a named driver that is fine
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That's not right - you just need to be on the insurance policy as a named driver. However, you do need to tell the insurance company how much each driver uses the car.

Do your parents drive this car? Will they still once you drive it?
Do they have an insurance policy on it? There are issues with having two policies on one car.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 2 months ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What car are you driving? My son's first insurance, with me as named driver, was roughly £800 - he used our insurance company and had been a named drive on one of our policies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (54)
15.47%
I'm not sure (8)
2.29%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (122)
34.96%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.72%
I'm not a current university student (159)
45.56%

Watched Threads