Official Thread: Government U-turn - grades awarded based on 'Center Assessed Grades'

Watch
Poll: Do you think the Government U-turn on awarding grades is the correct decision?
Yes (513)
54%
No (258)
27.16%
I still don't have enough information (179)
18.84%
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

We have heard that an announcement is imminent regarding the GCSE, BTEC and A-level grading this year. This announcement is set to be made at 4pm.

This thread is to discuss what you expect the announcement to be, and we will update the OP with any and all information as we get it!

What are you predictions? What do you want to happen, and what do you not want to be changed? How is everything affecting you?

We're here to support you.

Main Edit: England's A-levels and GCSEs to be based on teacher assessments

A-levels and GCSEs in England will be awarded based on the "centre assessment grades" from teachers, the government has announced.

The U-turn comes after days of criticism by students, teachers, and cross-party MPs over the controversial system for awarding results.

About 40% of A-level results were downgraded after the exams regulator Ofqual used an algorithm based on schools' previous results.

Ofqual statement: We have therefore decided that students be awarded their centre assessment for this summer - that is, the grade their school or college estimated was the grade they would most likely have achieved in their exam - or the moderated grade, whichever is higher.

The path forward we now plan to implement will provide urgent clarity. We are already working with the Department for Education, universities and everyone else affected by this issue.
See full statement here

UCAS Information:

• UCAS have sent an email out to all students – their guidance is don’t do anything yet.

• If you were not placed at your firm/insurance choice, check in with your parents and teachers to check in about whether you want to go to your first choice still.

CAG’s need to be sent to UCAS from Oqual, to then be sent to universities. UCAS don’t know what the timescale is just yet on getting these. Keep an eye out for more information from UCAS on how long this will take via email. As this is a completely new process, it may take some time to receive these grades. Once your university has your ‘Centre Assessed Grades (CAG)’ via exam bodies they can make a decision as to whether there is a place at your preferred choice.

'Please don’t ring your firm university unless you need to. They don’t have the results yet, there’s no clear decision from UCAS on how to manage switching applicants back to their firm/insurance (if that’s what both the applicant and the university want to happen), the list of what they don’t know is enormous.

If your CAGs meet your offer and you were rejected (and you would like to go there) then EMAIL your university with evidence of your CAGs, ask them if they’re going to be able to take you this year and if not whether they will guarantee an unconditional offer if you reapply in 2021. Make it clear that you understand that they might not be able to give an instant response. And only do this is there isn’t any clear instructions on their website telling you to do something else.'
- Thank you PQ for this information

• 7th September deadline for appeals is constantly under review and Ucas are in talks with Ofqual to make sure this works for both unis and students. Remember, unis do not have to abide by this, it is advisory.

• If you got accepted into your university of choice on the 13th are placed – you don’t have to do anything!

• Ucas will email all students tomorrow with more information, but it is likely you will receive information slowly but regularly rather than in one big announcement.

Find our directory of University most recent responses regarding admissions and grade changes here!

Edit 1: Predicted results to be used for Welsh exam grades!
Edit 2: GCSEs: Northern Irish results to be based on teacher predictions
Last edited by StrawberryDreams; 1 month ago
Evil Homer
Rep:
?
Things we still don't know and we are trying to find out!

• If students have achieved their offer with CAGs, is the uni obliged to offer them a place? Could this be a deferred place?
  • What happens to clearing students if the course is now full?
  • Will quotas for English students be relaxed?
  • What appeal routes will be available to students? I assume appeals on the back of mock results have been scrapped?
  • Does effect does this have on YR12s
  • Will higher calculated grades for GCSEs be honoured? (I guess not as they haven't been published yet)

• Is it still possible to appeal based on "mistakes made when schools submitted CAGs"? (apparently CCEA encouraged schools to do this last week in order to raise grades)
  • Will the cap on uni places for funded English students be lifted? (this is vital in order to get everyone in) - Student number cap has now been lifted
  • Will the Universities Minister and OfS compel unis to honour conditional offers for 2020 entry (if the calculated grades were simply wrong then why shouldn't students go to the uni of their first choice? they did nothing wrong)
  • Will students be allowed to automatically defer to 2021? (the uncertainty means that plans for starting uni this year have been put on hold)

Some EU students may be forced to defer, especially med/vet/dent who have now their places back --- will they be classed as Home students for a 2021 start?
Last edited by StrawberryDreams; 1 month ago
Ryan0887
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If I had a grade increase will my grades be marked back down to CAGs?
Bill V2
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
After the announcement from Wales, I'd be surprised if they weren't switching to CAGs.
Last edited by Bill V2; 1 month ago
AcetylCoA
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe a poll would on whether we expect this to follow the Welsh/Scottish/NI decision to use CAGs would be an idea- I'd put money on it but it would be interesting to see the split in opinions.
Last edited by AcetylCoA; 1 month ago
The Learn Ranger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ryan0887)
No, we think your grade will be protected.
cherryxberry
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
they probably will switch to CAGs too
Evil Homer
Rep:
?
I would be very surprised if grades were not protected, you should be okay.
Evil Homer
Rep:
?
(Original post by AcetylCoA)
Maybe a poll would on whether we expect this to follow the Welsh/Scottish/NI decision to use CAGs would be an idea- I'd put money on it but it would be interesting to see the split in opinions.
I think maybe we will wait to see what the announcement is and then get a reaction poll up!
epicnm
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So now England is the only one in Britain to not U-turn to Centre Assessment Grades. I’d be very surprised if Gavin does anything other than a U-turn at 4pm, but we’ll have to see!
Aeioyoo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well, if they revert to CAGs, I and many others who's school prematurely downgraded them to avoid the algorithm are screwed.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Today's Wales announcement says that if the grades you received last week were higher, you will get to keep those grades. I expect England will follow the same policy.

The Wales announcement says nothing about keeping GCSE grades higher than the CAGs, though.
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aeioyoo)
Well, if they revert to CAGs, I and many others who's school prematurely downgraded them to avoid the algorithm are screwed.
No, as long as you have your results in your pocket they won't take them away from you.
okikagu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What about uni places?? Do they even have enough to accomodate everyone?
Bill V2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 学生の父)
No, as long as you have your results in your pocket they won't take them away from you.
What about gcse students who haven't got their grades yet, whose schools may have submitted lower CAGs to avoid the algorithm?
KatelynLouise xo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is there a way to watch this announcement?
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Here is Kirsty Williams, the Welsh Government Education Minister's statement in full:

https://llyw.cymru/datganiad-gan-kir...einidog-addysg (Cymraeg)
https://gov.wales/statement-minister...irsty-williams (English)
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bill V2)
What about gcse students who haven't got their grades yet, whose schools may have submitted lower CAGs to avoid the algorithm?
We honestly don't know!
satsun
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If CAGs are used, will this affect applicants in 2021? It’s clear that clearing/adjustment is over for top unis, so if people get their CAGs they may apply for 2021 entry. Will this make it harder to get in in 2021?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (178)
28.48%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.28%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.32%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
8%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.16%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.92%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.2%

Watched Threads