The Student Room Group

I ruined my own life

I went to a college an hour and a half away everyday by train as I thought it was a better sixth form and got crap grades. My friends got the same mock grades as me but are leaving with 4 grades higher than me. I feel like ****. I wasted 2 years of my life when I would have been better off at my local sixth form.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I went to a college an hour and a half away everyday by train as I thought it was a better sixth form and got crap grades. My friends got the same mock grades as me but are leaving with 4 grades higher than me. I feel like ****. I wasted 2 years of my life when I would have been better off at my local sixth form.

You made the best decision you could at the time. It could have worked out so save yourself the beating yourself up.
If it wasnt going great or was going badly you should have transferred.
Do you mean 45 mins each way or 90 mins? I would have questioned 90 mins as commuting is tiring and tedious.

In any ecvenet if you grades are far below what you believe you can get then resit and do uni next year. Your life isnt ruined, its just a bump.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You made the best decision you could at the time. It could have worked out so save yourself the beating yourself up.
If it wasnt going great or was going badly you should have transferred.
Do you mean 45 mins each way or 90 mins? I would have questioned 90 mins as commuting is tiring and tedious.

In any ecvenet if you grades are far below what you believe you can get then resit and do uni next year. Your life isnt ruined, its just a bump.

My teacher didn't like me at my secondary who was going to be teaching the a level and I wanted a change. My parents told me to go to my local sixth form but I said no. Now my parents are saying to me I told you so and blaming me. They've said some harsh comments like you deserve it and if you listened to us you wouldn't be in this situation. It was 45 minutes each way but with traffic on the bus it could take an hour on the way back. Overall I didn't think the sixth form teaching was better in the end and I didnt feel supported. I don't know why I never transferred back.
I can't retake because I'm doing science a levels and I would have to do the practical elements again. My sixthform also don't allow retakes.
My teacher didn't like me at my secondary who was going to be teaching the a level and I wanted a change. My parents told me to go to my local sixth form but I said no. Now my parents are saying to me I told you so and blaming me. They've said some harsh comments like you deserve it and if you listened to us you wouldn't be in this situation. It was 45 minutes each way but with traffic on the bus it could take an hour on the way back. Overall I didn't think the sixth form teaching was better in the end and I didnt feel supported. I don't know why I never transferred back.
I can't retake because I'm doing science a levels and I would have to do the practical elements again. My sixthform also don't allow retakes.

No you dont have to do the endorsement again . That is the most expensive part so if you passed you can transfer it. Simply resit the exams at a private exam centre. c £280-400 per A level.
Ignore your parents you took a risk and made the best decision you could at the time and it just didnt pay off. No blame.
Reply 4
No you dont have to do the endorsement again . That is the most expensive part so if you passed you can transfer it. Simply resit the exams at a private exam centre. c £280-400 per A level.
Ignore your parents you took a risk and made the best decision you could at the time and it just didnt pay off. No blame.

My sixth form never wrote it we passed our practical exam on our a level results.

Original post by crazzzzy
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about you situation and I don't know if this is helpful, but there is also the option to retake at an exam centre instead (although you would have to pay unfortunately) or at a different college perhaps?

Also some exam boards carry forward your science practical assessment grades forward; I know for OCR Biology, which I was retaking this year, they carried forward my practical assessment grade so I wouldn't have to retake the practical. So I think you could check whether your exam board do this.
Also don't beat yourself up about it; what's done is done and now the only thing you can do is move forward. There's so many other options and I hope you'll find one that works best for you.
Good luck!

I did OCR but my sixthform doesn't allow us to sit the exams at their centre next year. They only allow us to sit it in autumn.
Reply 5

Oh they did. Sorry it was part of a separate file. I passed the practical endorsement.
Oh they did. Sorry it was part of a separate file. I passed the practical endorsement.

Thhen resit the exams. I get you are disappointed and fed up, but its not as bad a situation as you think.
Where were you hoping to go to do what subject?
What were you expecting?
What did you get?
Will the government U turn make any difference?
Reply 7
Thhen resit the exams. I get you are disappointed and fed up, but its not as bad a situation as you think.
Where were you hoping to go to do what subject?
What were you expecting?
What did you get?
Will the government U turn make any difference?

I got a D was expecting a C. I don't know whether It would be more beneficial for me to take a foundation year or to re do a level biology as my other grades are okay.
I got a D was expecting a C. I don't know whether It would be more beneficial for me to take a foundation year or to re do a level biology as my other grades are okay.

You still arent giving me the information, but never mind.
Cost of foundation year £15k cost of resit £280-400.
Reply 9
You still arent giving me the information, but never mind.
Cost of foundation year £15k cost of resit £280-400.

A foundation year is £15,000 I thought it was £9250?
Sorry, what information did I not give?

Dont worry the government is sorting out peoples predicted grades. just keep you fingers cross :wink:
If your course allows a foundation year, and the D grade won't interfere in the future for your career, then I don't see why not. If you wan't to move on and not resit, then that would be a good option. But if you're really unsatisfied with the D, then retaking is better. Whether you do the foundation year or take a year out to resit, you'll still be starting uni next year either way. You could also check through clearing to see if any unis will accept you with your current grades as many are being more lenient this year.

Also I'm not 100% sure reagrding this, but didn't ofqual just change the rules or whatever to make it so you now get your mock or predicted grade instead of the lower grade? I think you should double check that.
Try not to stress too much and try to look through all your options with a clear mind

Thank you. The foundation degree covers the sciences but also gives me help on academic writing which would be useful for my degree so I don't know whether I should go for that.
A foundation year is £15,000 I thought it was £9250?
Sorry, what information did I not give?

I'm adding your maintenance loan in as well. In any even I always advise against FY in 90% of situations as being a poor choice.
It also starts to use your limited funding to HE.
I'm adding your maintenance loan in as well. In any even I always advise against FY in 90% of situations as being a poor choice.
It also starts to use your limited funding to HE.

My course is an exception to the funding as it is a health care course and the job I get at the end would not even pay off a three year degree loan let alone 4. So I don't think it would effect my repayment rates but I will ask student finance.
I'm pretty sure most for most unis its £9250 for UK/EU students, and higher for international students. Check whichever uni you want to go as it should mention it on the page.

I just checked it's £9250. Thank you.
My course is an exception to the funding as it is a health care course and the job I get at the end would not even pay off a three year degree loan let alone 4. So I don't think it would effect my repayment rates but I will ask student finance.

Nope you dont get the nuances. of funding.

In any event have you been accpeted onto your course or not?
Have you checked if the goivernment uturn will improve your situation and appealed?

Have you checked if the goivernment uturn will improve your situation and appealed?

I have looked at the student finance calculator online and it said I would never pay the tuition fee loan off in 40 years, that's not even including the maintenance loan.
My course is an exception course for student finance for funding.
Is their something I'm not getting? Could you please explain it?

The government U turn still doesn't give me the grades I require.
If you think it would be super beneficial for you, then definitely consider it as an option. I think you should do a little more research on whether the foundation year would benefit/limit your career prospects in the future too (like whether a-level grades matter are looked at etc). And research on resitting your exam, to see whether it appeals to you too. Definitely lay out all your options and check carefully, and maybe ask advise from anyone who has already done the foundation year course, or someone already in the field of work what their take would be.
I don't really know what else to advise tbh since I'm still waiting for my own uni to make a decision lol. But I hope you figure things out, good luck! :smile:

A level grades are not looked at after the degree. I think I'll wait to hear from the uni and then make a decision. Thank you

I believe the government said that Autumn resits students won't have to pay for it. Also, I also believe that coursework, practicals will not play a part in your result. You will have to double check but I believe it was Ofqual that issued this a few days ago.

Quick Reply

Latest