hjkiire
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,
Do thin & narrow drainage basins result in a flashier hydro-graph compared to a wide and flat drainage basin which would cause a more subdued hydro-graph?
This is in relation to the case study I have for the water cycle in A level geography. It's looking at the Eden basin in Cumbria which has a thin & narrow drainage basin.

That seems more correct than what my notes say, which are the other way around...

Thank you if you can heplp!
spqr101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi! I’m pretty sure that a wider and flatter drainage basin will have a more subdued hydrograph as surface runoff has a longer distance to travel to reach the river, therefore a longer lag time. As you stated, it is ‘flatter’- this means that there is less relief and precipitation is flowing slowly down a shallow gradient, meaning it has more time to infiltrate into the soil. Precipitation will flow as throughflow, a slow flow process, hence a subdued hydrograph.

A narrower drainage basin will have a flashier response as surface runoff has less distance to travel and therefore there is a shorter lag time. The basin will have a steeper gradient, meaning precipitation will be flowing quickly downhill due to gravity, hence less time to infiltrate into the soil. Precipitation flows as surface runoff, a quick flow process, resulting in a flashy hydrograph.
That’s what we learnt in the Rivers topic of GCSE Geography anyway.
hjkiire
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by spqr101)
Hi! I’m pretty sure that a wider and flatter drainage basin will have a more subdued hydrograph as surface runoff has a longer distance to travel to reach the river, therefore a longer lag time. As you stated, it is ‘flatter’- this means that there is less relief and precipitation is flowing slowly down a shallow gradient, meaning it has more time to infiltrate into the soil. Precipitation will flow as throughflow, a slow flow process, hence a subdued hydrograph.

A narrower drainage basin will have a flashier response as surface runoff has less distance to travel and therefore there is a shorter lag time. The basin will have a steeper gradient, meaning precipitation will be flowing quickly downhill due to gravity, hence less time to infiltrate into the soil. Precipitation flows as surface runoff, a quick flow process, resulting in a flashy hydrograph.
That’s what we learnt in the Rivers topic of GCSE Geography anyway.
Ahh thank you for clearing this up. It definitely seems more logical. I guess I just wrote my notes the wrong way around.

Thank you!
spqr101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by hjkiire)
Ahh thank you for clearing this up. It definitely seems more logical. I guess I just wrote my notes the wrong way around.

Thank you!
No problem! I think we’ve all had that last minute panic haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads