The Student Room Group

Do you get more/less books to carry around in A-Level compared to doing GCSEs?

I'm thinking about buying a new backpack and was wondering if you're given more books/supplies to carry around when you're doing A-Levels compared to doing GCSEs. I'll be studying Maths, Physics and Computer Science in September. Many thanks :smile:
Hi, I did maths and they’d make us carry a textbook in everyday (I never did so you might be able to get away and use someone else’s) you need to carry a day folder and any textbooks you want for frees however, I usually took pictures or used the online version to save me carrying it around and teachers will usually let you use that in lessons too
Original post by mattjh23
I'm thinking about buying a new backpack and was wondering if you're given more books/supplies to carry around when you're doing A-Levels compared to doing GCSEs. I'll be studying Maths, Physics and Computer Science in September. Many thanks :smile:

We had textbooks for Computer Science but rarely brought them into school. It might be different for you but the dimensions for the OCR Computer Science textbook is 21.6 x 2.6 x 28 cm which fits most bag dimensions.
Original post by mattjh23

Depends really
Maths: You will get a course textbook for pure and applied and will usually be expected to lugg it around with you on days where u have maths as u will usually do classwork from these books, u will also get set hwk from these books as well. In terms of other supplies, ur school may loan u the calculator for the course but also ensure u have squared/lined paper and the usual pens, pencils, rulers....

Computer Science: U may not get a course textbook but if you and you're expected to lugg it around then you may develop back problems as the one for OCR is massive

Physics: You will definitely get a course textbook (not too heavy) and may do questions from it and some teachers that teach from scratch tend to refer to the textbook rather than using powerpoints so it is essential that you bring it in to all lessons
Reply 4
Original post by CurryCurry2468
Depends really
Maths: You will get a course textbook for pure and applied and will usually be expected to lugg it around with you on days where u have maths as u will usually do classwork from these books, u will also get set hwk from these books as well. In terms of other supplies, ur school may loan u the calculator for the course but also ensure u have squared/lined paper and the usual pens, pencils, rulers....

Computer Science: U may not get a course textbook but if you and you're expected to lugg it around then you may develop back problems as the one for OCR is massive

Physics: You will definitely get a course textbook (not too heavy) and may do questions from it and some teachers that teach from scratch tend to refer to the textbook rather than using powerpoints so it is essential that you bring it in to all lessons

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply

Latest