Are my ( possible )GCSE results and A level subjects good enough for Oxbridge?

Watch
IMM2473
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’m gonna get my gcse results soon and I’m likely to get decent grades, I’m hoping for 7s in English lit & Lang, art, business, hopefully Spanish lol, maybe an 8 for history, and ( my main teacher hates me ... ) 6 for science, I did combined so that would be 2x 6 grades , but I was getting 8&9s in our class exams for chemistry so who knows! And probably a 7 for maths! I am interested in doing history at oxford or Cambridge ( probably Oxford ) and Ive picked history, RS and art as my a level subjects, and finance as an AS level. Do you think my subject choices will help to get into oxford? I want to further my art education but also want to be able to have the option to get into oxbridge and hope that art isn’t an off putting Subject for someone applying to an oxford history course.
kingpin x
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It depends as most universities' entry requirements may vary. Have you tried calling the university to clarify your question?
isabelmarant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Obviously this depends on your eventual GCSE grades, but you may be better off going for Cambridge than Oxford. At Oxford they are very GCSE heavy and they use this to rank candidates, so to be honest 1 or 2 B grades won't help because most Oxford applicants have at least 9 A* GCSE grades. Cambridge don't place as much emphasis on GCSEs but they like to see a good number of 8s and 9s, so as long as your A-Level predictions are very good they won't care too much about GCSEs.

I would encourage you not to fixate on Oxford or Cambridge at the moment as you don't have your A-Level predictions yet. Focus on making those as good as you can and the Oxbridge considerations will come later
Incede
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by IMM2473)
I’m gonna get my gcse results soon and I’m likely to get decent grades, I’m hoping for 7s in English lit & Lang, art, business, hopefully Spanish lol, maybe an 8 for history, and ( my main teacher hates me ... ) 6 for science, I did combined so that would be 2x 6 grades , but I was getting 8&9s in our class exams for chemistry so who knows! And probably a 7 for maths! I am interested in doing history at oxford or Cambridge ( probably Oxford ) and Ive picked history, RS and art as my a level subjects, and finance as an AS level. Do you think my subject choices will help to get into oxford? I want to further my art education but also want to be able to have the option to get into oxbridge and hope that art isn’t an off putting Subject for someone applying to an oxford history course.
No point speculating a few days before results day. But if your grades aren't mostly 7/8/9 then you should consider applying to Cambridge because they place less emphasis on GCSEs. Just make sure you have strong predicted A-levels. I think your subjects are fine (double check on the Oxbridge websites to see if there any requirements/preferences for subjects).

But yes, you should definitely apply to Oxbridge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads