How to get really good grades in Mock Exams

Watch
SabihaHalim123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,
I'm a Y10 student (or should I say Y11 now?) and I have been struggling to understand how to revise to get 9/8/7s in my mock exams next year.
I really want good grades because they're the ones I have to apply to sixth form with.
I have done light revision for GCSE's but tbh I've forgot a lot of stuff
I really have no idea to revise for mocks- I wanted to start earlyish because I know I couldn't get the grades I want by cramming a couple of weeks.
Does anyone have any tips for getting really good grades in mock exams? Any Tips or revision methods that worked for you well would be appreciated.
Or even just tips on what not to do- I don't really want to waste a month on doing stuff that doesn't work.
Panicking slightly thinking of the mocks in October
EDIT: My subjects are:
AQA combined science (higher)
AQA English lit
AQA English Lang
AQA maths (higher)
Edexcel History
Edexcel Spanish
AQA business
AQA Art
Last edited by SabihaHalim123; 3 months ago
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
different revision methods will work for different people.
for english lit and lang practising exam questions is really important. for english lit you're probably going to want to make notes on characters, themes and quotes for all your texts. methods that use active recall are best, like flashcards or practice papers. practice papers are really important for maths as it helps you to practice your problem solving skills and apply your knowledge in different ways.
for business i did lots of flashcards and practice questions :yep:
trapp14
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by SabihaHalim123)
Hi,
I'm a Y10 student (or should I say Y11 now?) and I have been struggling to understand how to revise to get 9/8/7s in my mock exams next year.
I really want good grades because they're the ones I have to apply to sixth form with.
I have done light revision for GCSE's but tbh I've forgot a lot of stuff
I really have no idea to revise for mocks- I wanted to start earlyish because I know I couldn't get the grades I want by cramming a couple of weeks.
Does anyone have any tips for getting really good grades in mock exams? Any Tips or revision methods that worked for you well would be appreciated.
Or even just tips on what not to do- I don't really want to waste a month on doing stuff that doesn't work.
Panicking slightly thinking of the mocks in October
EDIT: My subjects are:
AQA combined science (higher)
AQA English lit
AQA English Lang
AQA maths (higher)
Edexcel History
Edexcel Spanish
AQA business
AQA Art
Hey I'm about to go into y11 as well . For me, practice papers are one of the best ways to revise for maths and the sciences (i find these online or ask my teachers). I also try and find videos on youtube with annotations of poems for english and try to read as much as I can. There are also multiple channels on youtube to help with maths and science (just search your exam board and topic and I'm sure something will come up). Quizlet is really good for language vocab revision (and any subject really) - some people have already made revision packs which you can use. Always remember to go to your teachers when you're struggling and if your school does any revision sessions during or after school then it's a good idea to go to those as well.
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi for maths i'd say just practise loads of questions, https://corbettmaths.com/contents/ is good for questions, and past papers will be good to assess which are your weaker areas (don't use them all now though)
SabihaHalim123
Rep:
?
(Original post by trapp14)
Hey I'm about to go into y11 as well . For me, practice papers are one of the best ways to revise for maths and the sciences (i find these online or ask my teachers). I also try and find videos on youtube with annotations of poems for english and try to read as much as I can. There are also multiple channels on youtube to help with maths and science (just search your exam board and topic and I'm sure something will come up). Quizlet is really good for language vocab revision (and any subject really) - some people have already made revision packs which you can use. Always remember to go to your teachers when you're struggling and if your school does any revision sessions during or after school then it's a good idea to go to those as well.
Thanks for the advice and will definitely use practise papers. I'm revising English with youtube videos via Mr Bruff & Mr Salles English atm. I think it's going well... I have just made a quizlet account, so hopefully it helps.
username5290958
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I’ve just finished my GCSE’s so here are a few tips I have (this is just what I found useful so this may not help for you but I hope that you can learn something new).

For science, I found writing condensed but detailed notes on each topic very useful, and then I just read through them many times. For me flash cards take sooo long to write because you must condense the information so much and you do not get the detail needed. Also writing the notes out helps to remember the information. This was the quickest way to know what I needed to revise and then it was very easy to revise the info as well.

For eng lit, for the poems I wrote wrote out 3 points that I could use to compare two of the poems, so that for all the poems I had at least one other poem I knew 3 ways to compare it with. Add a quote to each point and then you already have half an answer for the exam- you just need to analyse. Similarly for the texts I found sample questions and then wrote 4 or 5 points with quotes that I could use to answer the question. Pick maybe 5 key moments in the book or play that covers a range of themes so that you don’t need to remover the whole book.

Past papers for maths!

For French (which would work for Spanish) I did loads of sample listening papers as this is what I struggled with- so don’t revise bits you know you are good art

For art all I can say is good luck- this was the subject I was so stressed about but you don’t really need to revise. Just remember to annotate fully!!

Other than this the main thing is to improve your memory because that is what GCSE’s really test so read lots of books (novels or biographies or anything), this drastically improves your memory and will improve your writing for English and history.

Lastly, once you are done you will realise that these grades are not the most imortant thing so do not worry, I stressed far too much and it was all pointless, so relax and do try to have fun.

Good luck, especially as you missed so much teaching time, I feel the content for the exams should be reduced to compensate!
SabihaHalim123
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
Hi for maths i'd say just practise loads of questions, https://corbettmaths.com/contents/ is good for questions, and past papers will be good to assess which are your weaker areas (don't use them all now though)
Hi Thanks, for the tips- Maths is my weakest subject so this well defo help
AccountHolder
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
To get top grades and be a top student, it isn’t about how many times you go over content. It’s about the number of past papers you do, sticking to a feasible revision timetable etc. This has been scientifically proven, so I recommend the above.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (617)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (769)
42.04%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (362)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (81)
4.43%

Watched Threads