huuuuuuuuguagua
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The alevel in 2020 is just a mess. I wonder there would be some bias on giving out the CAG grades by the school to the board. I noted that some schools are giving out the grades so strictly and doesn’t reflect the most realistic performance of the students. Although the new grading system using CAG might help many of you getting into universities, but still some people couldn’t make it because of getting a bad CAG. Should the CAG be reconsidered and a boundary for this should be made?
narsy081
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They have to allow CAG appeals as often those of colour are more likely to be under-predicted.
Max4722
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by huuuuuuuuguagua)
The alevel in 2020 is just a mess. I wonder there would be some bias on giving out the CAG grades by the school to the board. I noted that some schools are giving out the grades so strictly and doesn’t reflect the most realistic performance of the students. Although the new grading system using CAG might help many of you getting into universities, but still some people couldn’t make it because of getting a bad CAG. Should the CAG be reconsidered and a boundary for this should be made?
My CAG is biased, all the students such as head girl, head boy, etc have 3 A stars, felt like the rest of us left as numbers to spread out grades to fit cohort
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
This is why everyone should be given A* for everything. This is the only thing that will make people happy.
Max4722
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
This is why everyone should be given A* for everything. This is the only thing that will make people happy.
Defo
huuuuuuuuguagua
Rep:
?
https://petition.parliament.uk/signa...0412872/signed
Nztaylors
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I had an A in my maths mock in March and somehow found out my CAG was a C which was basically my original target and Did not take into account my ability and hard work in the subject, teachers just went with targets, other colleges did not do this and teachers were more generous, not fair as a grade in one college is not the same as in another college as no standardisation, feel this issue is going to surface and get bigger
huuuuuuuuguagua
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nztaylors)
I had an A in my maths mock in March and somehow found out my CAG was a C which was basically my original target and Did not take into account my ability and hard work in the subject, teachers just went with targets, other colleges did not do this and teachers were more generous, not fair as a grade in one college is not the same as in another college as no standardisation, feel this issue is going to surface and get bigger
Can anyone make a petition for this!!!???
Max4722
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nztaylors)
I agree my school took my recent mock exam and thought I would not improve and other students would?
Ramipril
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Can anyone make a petition for this!!!???
Petition for what? What do you suggest is done?
Max4722
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Petition for Exams is Jan! Give us a chance
Petition for Equality in the class of 2020! All exams or no exams !
Petition for easy quick independent appeals process before exams take place.!
Nztaylors
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ramipril)
Petition for what? What do you suggest is done?
Challenge the CAG mocks should count as originally mentioned in triple lock this needs to happen
justamum111
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Max4722)
Petition for Exams is Jan! Give us a chance
Petition for Equality in the class of 2020! All exams or no exams !
Petition for easy quick independent appeals process before exams take place.!
My child was underpredicted by her sixthform, so that they could squeeze their favourites, Oxbridge candidates and medic applicants, the rest were allocated B etc, The sixth form, as usual, was playing very safe so that the above categories were not downgraded. I am happy that many children were given benefit of doubt by their teachers over the country and there will be many winners who may not have performed in exams as well as the grades given. The government should also remember that teachers can underpredict too.
Nztaylors
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by justamum111)
My child was underpredicted by her sixthform, so that they could squeeze their favourites, Oxbridge candidates and medic applicants, the rest were allocated B etc, The sixth form, as usual, was playing very safe so that the above categories were not downgraded. I am happy that many children were given benefit of doubt by their teachers over the country and there will be many winners who may not have performed in exams as well as the grades given. The government should also remember that teachers can underpredict too.
I agree I had an A in my mock in March and then ended up with my original
Target as my CAG from the start of course, C,,,,teacher did not predict accurately this is happening to thousands of students we need to appeal.
Max4722
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by justamum111)
This is exactly what has happen to me, I have evidence of this and will they listen?
Max4722
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
APPEALS

1. Ask your school - only you can do this for a ‘subject access request’ to get all the information they hold on you - You can make a judgement if your grade is equal and fair.
2. Ask for specific info they used for your CAG
3. Ask for your rank

This is info you ask for and whilst the school does not want you to have it is personal data on you and the law says it is your right to access it. Asses this objectively and you will see if you have a case. This is step one, you may be surprised at the data
MGrogan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Max4722)
I agree my school took my recent mock exam and thought I would not improve and other students would?
Same Here. I got an A in GCSE further maths, I got an A UCAS predicted maths, and I got an A in my March mock exam for maths. But then in May got a teacher assessed CAG B for maths. So my school assumed for whatever reason I was going to get worse than my proven past record? How does that make sense?
Jackie100
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
know what you mean my son was top in the school for computer science yet he was given an A so if the top boy couldn't get the A* then who did.
blackugo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think you will have to have strong evidence.
Max4722
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ask for your info and you should make a fair judgement to be fair to you and the school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (42)
13.46%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (45)
14.42%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (110)
35.26%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (32)
10.26%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (67)
21.47%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.13%

Watched Threads