Access to HE - Health Professions

Watch
Safsl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm in my mid 20s and hadn't applied to Uni after college as I didn't have the best of grades and I went straight into work.
I'm now in a position to come back to education so I'm starting this course in September..
Just wanted to know peoples opinion on the course?
What you liked and didn't like?
What topics did you study?
Any tips on Books/Materials that helped?
jpoole16
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi I am 26 and have not studied since I left school at age 16. I left with no GCSE's and didn't go to college as I had kids young. I am doing this course currently online and I am not going to lie I am finding it a little difficult. Not even making time for it, just the actual assignments. I am only on unit 4 so I am hoping I will get to grips with it sooner rather than later though.
Hope you get on with it okay though! I am enjoying the course even though I struggle!

Jenks98
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
My course was access to health science, so slightly different to yours, but still aimed at those going on to study an allied health profession at uni. My personal circumstances were exactly the same as yours.

I enjoyed my access course and didn't find the work too hard at any point. That said, it wasn't easy and if you wanted good grades you had to put the work in. One of the biggest positives of the course is that it focuses on preparing you for uni, so you spend a significant amount of time learning how to reference and the basic principles of anatomy and physiology. There wasn't really anything about the course I didn't like.

The topics I studied were anatomy and physiology, maths, chemistry, microbiology, research and communication, human physics, and healthcare studies.

For anatomy and physiology, the Ross and Wilson books were always useful
Safsl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Thanks guys, that’s helpful. Yeah I’ve been told it’s pretty much doing A-Levels in 1 year (if you’re attending college). So I really wanted to prepare myself.
I’ll definitely have a look into the Ross and Wilson Books- would benefit me in university too.
Jenks98
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Safsl)
Thanks guys, that’s helpful. Yeah I’ve been told it’s pretty much doing A-Levels in 1 year (if you’re attending college). So I really wanted to prepare myself.
I’ll definitely have a look into the Ross and Wilson Books- would benefit me in university too.
Yeah it can be quite intense as it is only a year course, so the college need to keep it at a fast pace. I had to learn the different chambers+valves of the heart and the direction of blood flow within two weeks of starting, a test within three weeks, and a graded exam within two months. It's so important to attend as many lectures as you can!! It is surprising how much you remember though when you want to be there, as opposed to having to be there
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads