Am I required to pay my parents if I’m both unemployed and out of education?

Watch
“pro”crastinator
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Now that A levels are officially over and I never (and still don’t) have any plans to go to university, my mind is pretty much set to apply for an apprenticeship.

However, as a kick in the ****, a recession has emerged and now I notice a scarceness of relevant apprenticeships to apply for and it’s making my parents concerned (and understandably so) since to them I have next to no aspirations at the moment.

Since I no longer class as a student *I think, please check me on that* I’ll probably need to start paying my parents at least some amount of money until I can find work but I have no clue what kind of payments I’m meant to be giving them.

Please help me, I’m quite desperate
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Rather than just coming up with an arbitrary sum why don't you sit down with your parents and explain that you want to contribute, even if it's just doing a larger share of the household chores since you have nothing going at the moment.

I would try and get yourself in any job at the moment and apply for your 'ideal' jobs whilst in employment. You can't be picky right now.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
you are not 'required' to pay your parents anything. it's a private arrangement and guaranteed some adults pay their parents zero pounds and zero pence. however, your parents are also not required to keep providing a home for you after the age of 16.

you sure your parents are wanting you to pay rent if you're unemployed(?) or do they just want you to apply for work/get a job?
browniecat
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
like the other person said, have a discussion with your parents to see if they want you to contribute to anything
Borahae20
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you are without a job then sign onto universal credit.

It's precisely here for situations like this!
“pro”crastinator
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
you are not 'required' to pay your parents anything. it's a private arrangement and guaranteed some adults pay their parents zero pounds and zero pence. however, your parents are also not required to keep providing a home for you after the age of 16.

you sure your parents are wanting you to pay rent if you're unemployed(?) or do they just want you to apply for work/get a job?
Probably should’ve clarified. They want me to apply pretty much anywhere so I have a job. I was wondering if there were any official payments I had to make on their behalf since I don’t class as a child anymore or if they’re losing out on any additional money because I’m under their roof, 18 and unemployed
“pro”crastinator
Rep:
?
(Original post by Borahae20)
If you are without a job then sign onto universal credit.

It's precisely here for situations like this!
I don’t even know if I’m eligible to apply for it. I have a friend my age who’s currently on it but he’s been out of education for a year due to personal reasons and he’s about to start a college course in September. I might ask him for details but I’ll still keep it in mind
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.53%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (545)
48.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed