Gum Swelling Behind Front Tooth

Watch
ThatBloke79
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey everyone.

So a couple of months back, I noticed that the gum above and behind one of my upper front teeth was swollen. There was no pain associated with it and so I left it a couple of weeks. The swelling didn’t seem to go away, so I spoke to my dentist, who wasn’t seeing anybody unless it was an emergency at the time, but she prescribed me antibiotics.

I feel like the antibiotics didn’t help a great deal, though towards the end the swelling was less noticeable. It came back after finishing them so was given a second course. She then had me in the office to take a look.

She said she could feel a cavity but it wasn’t worth filling it. The X-ray showed some decay too. Her suggestion was to have it extracted and have a denture. But she then went on to say that as it wasn’t causing any pain it would be worth trying saltwater rinses and an interdental brush to get under the gum, as when she looked at it there was pus coming from it.

In the days after the visit it went away. But a couple of weeks ago I noticed it coming back again. It now feels as though there’s a gap between my gum and the tooth that I can get my tongue under, and I am really anxious about it.

With it being a front tooth I really don’t want to have it taken out, could anyone offer any suggestions of what I’m risking if I don’t have it extracted? I’m terrified of anything dental related. It’s all my fault too as I refused to wear braces as a child and now I have crooked af teeth that are overcrowded
Willy Power
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Try root canal to ease the pain. It also saves you from having gaps in the front teeth
ThatBloke79
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Willy Power)
Try root canal to ease the pain. It also saves you from having gaps in the front teeth
My dentist didn’t suggest this as an option.

The only options I was given was extraction and a denture or try to see how it goes with saltwater rinses etc.

Forgot to mention that I’m only 30 too, which is a big reason I don’t want to have front teeth removed.
Last edited by ThatBloke79; 3 months ago
bhadbhabie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
if you have your front tooth removed i'm sure there's plenty of affordable replacements such as a single veneer. but it's important to get a second opinion if possible.
Chopinnocturne31
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Mesopotamian.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
OP, I obviously can't diagnose you with anything over the internet, but your descriptions would indicate that your treatment options are either root canal treatment or extraction. I'm guessing from what you've written that your dentist hasn't offered RCT because you have tooth decay which can't be adequately filled and so that option would likely fail anyway.
I would highly advise you to see your dentist again - get your dentist to explain why your only treatment option is extraction so that you can better understand the situation. Until then, I would highly advise you to brush your teeth twice a day, and use interdental cleaning such as flossing or tepe brushes. Try and use toothpastes and mouth rinses specifically targeted for gum disease, such as Corsodyl.
If you're not too keen on dentures, other alternatives include a bridge or implant just for your information.

(Original post by Chopinnocturne31)
Mesopotamian.
Thanks for the tag
ThatBloke79
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thanks for the replies on this guys.

I went back to the dentist mid September. My dentist had another look at it and said that it doesn’t look as though it is active decay, and that I may have eaten something that got stuck in my gum, so just told me to keep the area clean etc.

Again, for a few weeks the problem seemed to be ok, but in the last week or so I’ve really started noticing the swelling again and I feel like there is a large gap forming between my gum and my tooth.

I keep getting a sensation of looseness but whenever I’ve looked in the mirror so far I can’t see any movement. I try not to eat on that part of my mouth and whenever I bite my lip there’s a bit of discomfort in my tooth.

I’m really worried about it, I have another appointment but the earliest I can go is in 3 weeks time.
ThatBloke79
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Guessing with the lockdown I probably now won’t be able to get in at the dentist 😫It’s really worrying me, I keep testing it and look at it in the mirror to check on it and it’s driving me insane.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (40)
32%
No - I have already returned home (15)
12%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (26)
20.8%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (10)
8%
No - I live at home during term anyway (34)
27.2%

Watched Threads