Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’ve been offered En suite campus despite it being 4th on my list - because out of all the en suite options, this was the worst value for money imo. This is crazy. Anyone else been ripped off?
remussjhj01
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sometimes you don't get your 1st choice. Sucks that you got your 4th, but **** happens.
Unless you go to one of the unis where you have to list EVERY type of accommodation in preference order, you literally put this as a room you'd be happy to live in.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by remussjhj01)
Sometimes you don't get your 1st choice. Sucks that you got your 4th, but **** happens.
Unless you go to one of the unis where you have to list EVERY type of accommodation in preference order, you literally put this as a room you'd be happy to live in.
Yeah it forced me to list every accommodation there were 8 in total
University of Sussex Official Reps
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ve been offered En suite campus despite it being 4th on my list - because out of all the en suite options, this was the worst value for money imo. This is crazy. Anyone else been ripped off?
Hello, I just wanted to add that the university you have applied to might have the option of allowing students to swap their accommodation offer with another student. It is often the case that en-suites are the more desirable option for many students, and thus you may have a good chance of finding someone living in non-en suite accommodation that would be willing to swap their accommodation with you. However, do keep in mind that accommodation swapping can usually only be done after you have moved into the accommodation and lived there for a week or so. This is so that you can make a more informed decision before swapping. There is also often a small fee involved (approx. 25 pounds depending on the university). I hope this helps. I am sure that no matter what, you will have a great experience of getting to know you flat mates, building your independent living skills, and so on. There are truly so many benefits to living in university halls!

Best of Luck,
Kasia
Anonymous #1
thanks for your response, unfortunately the uni I’m applying to are strictly saying no swaps under any circumstances, I can’t imagine why but they’re being very funny about it. I suspect A lot of potential students have deferred or not got the grades to come so they trying to milk us of our cash by filling the accommodation up by most expensive. I will ask about whether it’s possible to swap later say October time. Also, I would only really want an en suite room and out of the 4 en suite rooms my uni offers, I’ve been given the one with the worst value for money.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
thanks for your response, unfortunately the uni I’m applying to are strictly saying no swaps under any circumstances, I can’t imagine why but they’re being very funny about it. I suspect A lot of potential students have deferred or not got the grades to come so they trying to milk us of our cash by filling the accommodation up by most expensive. I will ask about whether it’s possible to swap later say October time. Also, I would only really want an en suite room and out of the 4 en suite rooms my uni offers, I’ve been given the one with the worst value for money.
Hi, that's definitely not great news! I would try contacting housing at your university, and explaining your financial circumstances. They may be more willing to change your offer, if they know you have genuine reasons for needing a different accommodation place.

Kasia
hazisgolden
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was en suit campus my first year and had a good time! I think the benefits are being close to the square (aka the bar lol) and getting to wake up late for lectures. I think the main rip-off is the microwave-oven but other than that it's great. Which accodation did you want over it?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by hazisgolden)
I was en suit campus my first year and had a good time! I think the benefits are being close to the square (aka the bar lol) and getting to wake up late for lectures. I think the main rip-off is the microwave-oven but other than that it's great. Which accodation did you want over it?
I wanted en suite village bcz I don’t mind walking 10 minutes if it saves me 1.5k a year
hazisgolden
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I wanted en suite village bcz I don’t mind walking 10 minutes if it saves me 1.5k a year
Didn’t think there was so much difference but just checked and I’m pretty sure they’ve increased the prices since I was there

Definitely get in touch with the accommodation office and say you’d prefer the village because of finance reasons.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hazisgolden)
Didn’t think there was so much difference but just checked and I’m pretty sure they’ve increased the prices since I was there

Definitely get in touch with the accommodation office and say you’d prefer the village because of finance reasons.
Hello, at Sussex University campus the most affordable accommodation at the moment is Park Village non-en-suite flats; the rent being 95 pounds per week. You would share with 11 other students, thus making this accommodation one of the arguably most social university halls. Other affordable non-en-suite options include: Norwich House (115 pounds per week; 12 people per flat), Lewes Court (123 pounds per week; 6 people per flat), and Brighthelm (149.50, but including clothes washing and drying facilities; 5 people per flat).

I would definitely encourage you to get in touch with the Housing Office, if you believe that you will not be able to afford the rent for the accommodation you have been offered. Here are their contact details: [email protected];
+44 (0)1273 678220.

Best of Luck,
Kasia
University of East Anglia UG Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi!
I'm a current student at UEA and I'm not sure where you've heard that you can't change rooms, but that's not true? https://portal.uea.ac.uk/accommodati...20per%20person.
You can pay £30 to change rooms but it's usually unlikely that they will. Or you can find another student in the accommodation that you want to swap with them, your best bet is to find the group on Facebook called 'UEA Ticket Exchange' or the UEA freshers group and ask on there and you're bound to find someone! We had people swapping in and out of our flat in the first year and people moved a fair bit if they weren't happy with it. Especially because this year there will be fewer people it might be easier, but because of COVID it could be difficult because of bubbles. I would advise you to email the accommodation team or call them and they would be happy to help you out. +44 (0) 1603 592092

Any questions, just ask!

Becca
Emmaclaire4
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You most definitely can change rooms at UEA. As Becca said, post on the ticket exchange, the welcome group or in my first year (three years ago now admitedly) the accommodation team had a way to contact other students wishing to swap. However, you might find that once you're there that you love the flat, love your flatmates or cant be bothered to change! If you really want to swap now before moving to Norwich, I suggest emailing the accommodation office asap to let them know and post on the welcome group (ask if anyone wants ensuite campus and see what they have been offered, then if you find someone to swap with you both speak to accomm office and then they will help you arrange it). Hope that helps... happy to answer any more qs.
LeMetalhead
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Damn that sucks, I also didn't get my second option (my first was the village). I also know of someone who is in a similar situation as you, he wanted to live at a cheaper accomodation but was given one that was out of his budget so he is commuting.
Ainamartorell
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi! I have been offered Stanmer court en-suite which I know is a slightly more affordable en-suite compared to the others if you would like to swap?! Which accommodation do you currently have?
E-Radcliffe
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
ugh I'm so jealous you guys actually have rooms. the accommodation office have been so unreliable in my experience and I'm currently still waitlisted. don't really know what to do tbf.
Ainamartorell
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Wait rlly ughhh so do you think all rooms on campus are taken? I was gonna see if I could potentially change rooms due to medical reasons
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hello, currently the housing services at Sussex are changing rooms and accommodation places for some people, as we speak. It would probably be best to contact them now, as the changes are still being made. The contact details are: [email protected]; 01273 678220.

Best of Luck,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student MSCI with a Year Abroad)
(Original post by Ainamartorell)
Wait rlly ughhh so do you think all rooms on campus are taken? I was gonna see if I could potentially change rooms due to medical reasons
Ainamartorell
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Many thanks I sent an email on Sunday to the housing office but they haven’t replied, hopefully they will soon!
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Ainamartorell)
Many thanks I sent an email on Sunday to the housing office but they haven’t replied, hopefully they will soon!
Hi, yes, the housing does not normally work on Sunday, but they will hopefully get back to you soon. They are most likely receiving a very high volume of emails at the moment, so you may unfortunately not hear from them for a couple of days or so. At this time, I would try to give them a ring, so they can help you out as soon as possible.

Best Wishes,
Kasia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (58)
13.33%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (56)
12.87%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (167)
38.39%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.57%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (85)
19.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise