Theatonj03
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys. I started the gym but I’m struggling to get my chest to grow. I’m very arm dominant with 16 inch arms at 16% body fat(not very lean) but I cannot get my chest to grow. Does anyone have any tips. Such as exercises, reps and sets and progressive overload. Anything would be highly appreciated!
gboystuff
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Its all about the bench press, whats your max weight for one lift "flat bench"?
TheYearNiner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
pushups till u can do 3x12 easily
Cambrian80
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What exercises do you do at the moment? And what reps/sets/weights do you do?

Good chest exercises include:

Benchpress
Incline benchpress
Decline benchpress
Chest flys (cable or weights)
Pullovers (cable or weights)
Pushups - wide stance, deficit, with a pause
faizan.f.u
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Theatonj03)
Hey guys. I started the gym but I’m struggling to get my chest to grow. I’m very arm dominant with 16 inch arms at 16% body fat(not very lean) but I cannot get my chest to grow. Does anyone have any tips. Such as exercises, reps and sets and progressive overload. Anything would be highly appreci
push ups r really good for chest do 10 sets and each set do the maximum number of reps you can do
Theatonj03
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cambrian80)
What exercises do you do at the moment? And what reps/sets/weights do you do?

Good chest exercises include:

Benchpress
Incline benchpress
Decline benchpress
Chest flys (cable or weights)
Pullovers (cable or weights)
Pushups - wide stance, deficit, with a pause
Cheers mate. I do Bench Press 4 sets 10 reps and increase the weight by 1kg every time. Then incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 sets starting at 10 reps and work up to 15 adding a rep every session to each set. And then Cable crossovers with the same progression as the incline Dumbbell bench.
Theatonj03
Rep:
?
(Original post by gboystuff)
Its all about the bench press, whats your max weight for one lift "flat bench"?
Only 90kg but I don’t go heavy because I only feel it in my front Delt. I’ve started again all the way down at 55kg for 10 reps and then I’ve added 1kg every session. Hopefully that will help for a while until a plateau and have to change my progression. Also that is for 4 sets 10 reps.
Cambrian80
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, it sounds like you're doing a pretty good job regarding exercise selection, sets/reps etc. You mentioned that you recently started at the gym, so it could just be a case of giving it some time...

A few things to consider:

- general recommendations for hypertrophy are to work a muscle group (i.e. chest) for 10-12 sets per week, split over 2-3 training sessions (for novices). So you might want to try adding a extra session, or extra sets to your current sessions to hit this target. Keep the weight the same until you get used to the increased volume.
- you can use reps anywhere from 6-20 to drive hypertrophy. You don't need to go to failure on each set, but try to get 2-5 reps away from failure.
- volume is one of the key determinants for hypertrophy, so if you've tried the above and still aren't getting results, you could try adding sets/training sessions. However, you might want to look at other factors first, like getting enough sleep, eating the right number of calories and protein, and making sure you're performing the exercises with technical proficiency.

Hope that helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (22)
23.4%
No (72)
76.6%

Watched Threads