The Student Room Group

Should I apply for Universal Credit while I search for an apprenticeship?

I’m currently in the middle of a mini-crisis I can’t stop thinking about. It’s only been a few days since A-Level results day and I don’t have any particular direction I want to go. I said from the start of Year 12 I don’t want to go to uni, so I did no preparation for it except attending mandatory activities. My plan was always to go for an apprenticeship (what in was the next big hurdle) and now with both a pandemic/recession, it’s unsurprisingly ****ed it all up. I’ve decided to spend my time practicing web development as it’s an area I’m actually surprised myself to be enjoying. However, I don’t have a job or any source of income and over time that’ll really start to inconvenience my parents. I want to be helpful at least so the only option I can think of (besides part time working but that’s also difficult atm) is applying for UC to at least contribute something while I find work.

Any advice or useful guidance would be ludicrously appreciated
Original post by “pro”crastinator
I’m currently in the middle of a mini-crisis I can’t stop thinking about. It’s only been a few days since A-Level results day and I don’t have any particular direction I want to go. I said from the start of Year 12 I don’t want to go to uni, so I did no preparation for it except attending mandatory activities. My plan was always to go for an apprenticeship (what in was the next big hurdle) and now with both a pandemic/recession, it’s unsurprisingly ****ed it all up. I’ve decided to spend my time practicing web development as it’s an area I’m actually surprised myself to be enjoying. However, I don’t have a job or any source of income and over time that’ll really start to inconvenience my parents. I want to be helpful at least so the only option I can think of (besides part time working but that’s also difficult atm) is applying for UC to at least contribute something while I find work.

Any advice or useful guidance would be ludicrously appreciated

Definitely if you need the money and dont mind entering data in a diary about your job search. Its about £78 a week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending