The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
try on your own car, try to find the biting point, if your good at that, then maybe take your foot of the gas pedal? it makes the engine revv if your foot is even slightly on the gas pedal. Also why not take your time to change gear? By the way is your problem when you start to move or changing gears when driving?
Reply 2
Problem is when i start to move only. I sometimes stall the car, I sometimes jerk the car :frown: Also the biting point in my dads car is different from my instructors car, as i find it easier in my dads car since i have to give more gas.
Are you driving in thick heeled/soled shoes? I started to learn in vans and couldn't get the clutch control right, so ended up learning in a pair of dolly-pumps.

I often drive barefoot, too. xD

Try and get your hands on some slipper-socks, the sort with gripper pads on the bottom. Toasties? Something like that.
Reply 4
What size is your dads engine? I know that clutch control is easier on a bigger engine. As for the micra give gas and take your foot off the clutch when you are at a steady speed. Also for jerking the car that means that your foot is probably on the gas or you let go of the clutch quickly when slowing down.
Reply 5
I wear my trainers when driving and they are standard thickness.
Reply 6
The clutch varies on every car.. Even the same make and model will have different biting points, due to wear and tear etc..
12 lessons isn't too much, I think its too early to start worrying to be honest..
I had a friend who has just passed their test, and they started when they had just finished GCSEs, shes just about to start her 2nd year of Uni now..!!

The bite point is when the car starts trying to move, so if you have clutch down, handbrake up and gas down slightly (At about 15000 revs), slightly lift clutch up until you find the bite point and then take handbrake off.. Then your on your way..
Just make sure you don't lift your clutch up too quickly.. Thats my tip.. You can revv the arse off the car all day but as long as you have the clutch down it wont stall.. Also as a learner, its natural to panic, but try and avoid this!!!

Practice makes perfect..
Reply 7
Whoa 15000 revs what car do you drive?? lol :biggrin:
manzi905
I wear my trainers when driving and they are standard thickness.

Try something slimmer then, or just socks. you'll feel the bite a lot easier.
Reply 9
M1R4J
What size is your dads engine? I know that clutch control is easier on a bigger engine. As for the micra give gas and take your foot off the clutch when you are at a steady speed. Also for jerking the car that means that your foot is probably on the gas or you let go of the clutch quickly when slowing down.

Dads car is Vauxhall Astra 1.7, maybe i should change instructer as ive seen some who drive in Vauxhall Corsa's, would this be better?

Oh and i wear the slimmest socks i can - and obviosuly my intructor requires me to wear shoes lol
Reply 10
Okay yes, you did find it easier in your dads car because his engine is bigger therefore easier clutch control. If you find you need to change instructor then you may only if you feel is he is not correctly teaching you, but in this case it seems you prefer to drive vauxhalls, like stew said practice makes perfect so keep on trying also you will be driving many cars apart from vauxhalls so id say best to start hard.
Reply 11
dont change it wont help, with a smaller engine u need more revs to pull away as the engine has less power.
Reply 12
stew1988
The clutch varies on every car.. Even the same make and model will have different biting points, due to wear and tear etc..
12 lessons isn't too much, I think its too early to start worrying to be honest..
I had a friend who has just passed their test, and they started when they had just finished GCSEs, shes just about to start her 2nd year of Uni now..!!

The bite point is when the car starts trying to move, so if you have clutch down, handbrake up and gas down slightly (At about 15000 revs), slightly lift clutch up until you find the bite point and then take handbrake off.. Then your on your way..Just make sure you don't lift your clutch up too quickly.. Thats my tip.. You can revv the arse off the car all day but as long as you have the clutch down it wont stall.. Also as a learner, its natural to panic, but try and avoid this!!!

Practice makes perfect..

Im confused with the bold bits sorry. If the handbrake i up then how will i know im on the biting point, as the car wont be moving.

Also at every traffic light if im gonna be waiting for more than 5 secs my instructor tells me to put the handbrake on. For now I put the handbrake down before giving any gas (which makes me panic as i quickly try to set off), should I give gas while the handbrake is still on?
Reply 13
manzi905
Im confused with the bold bits sorry. If the handbrake i up then how will i know im on the biting point, as the car wont be moving.

Also at every traffic light if im gonna be waiting for more than 5 secs my instructor tells me to put the handbrake on. For now I put the handbrake down before giving any gas (which makes me panic as i quickly try to set off), should I give gas while the handbrake is still on?

You should know when the car is at biting point because you can see the bonnet of the car move upwards slightly.
EDIT: Yes the people below are right to say dip, sorry I got confused!
Reply 14
If you concentrate carefully, without using gas, if you lift up the clutch slowly, the car should dip, this is the biting point. Its a good way when making hill starts. (Can use gas if you want, but i find it easier without gas)
manzi905

You'll feel the car dip slightly.

If you don't know how to feel for your bite when the car isn't moving, this is why you're having so much trouble. Ask your instructor to step back a few lessons and go over finding the bite again with you.
Reply 16
By the way you can give gas if the handbrake is up, nothing will happen, i do, its a good way for a quick start like you said.
Reply 17
Oh so - Lift the clutch up very slowly until the car dips without giving any gas - and this is my biting point.

But when actually driving i should give gas at same time and when the car dips I should hold the clutch there until i go over 10mph?
manzi905
Oh so - Lift the clutch up very slowly until the car dips without giving any gas - and this is my biting point.

But when actually driving i should give gas at same time and when the car dips I should hold the clutch there until i go over 10mph?

You should be giving just a little bit of gas, to get the car moving when you take the handbrake off. If you just take the clutch off with no gas, you'll stall.
Reply 19
Well just before 10 mph change to second gear, then you can take your foot off the clutch. In 2nd gear the car cruises by itself.

Latest

Trending

Trending