The Student Room Group

Any Questions on how to do a good Economics Personal Statement?

Scroll to see replies

How can I relate work experience at a Bank to economics? Any ideas?
Original post by EyesWideShut
How can I relate work experience at a Bank to economics? Any ideas?

Did you learn anything about financial/monetary economics during your work experience?
Reply 582
Hi,
Currently working on my Economics PS, I would like to ask for help. I need to link trading shares with Economics and business with Economics. Thanks in advance.
Reply 583
Introduction to my PS is about my interest in banking and finance. I mention international finance in further parts of it. Does it present my interest in economics?
(edited 12 years ago)
dont say you read freakonomics :facepalm:
Reply 585
I have read a book called the naked traders "how anyone can make money trading shares", will this be useful on my personal statement?
This thread should be stickied for future years. Excellent guide, Paul! :smile:
Original post by Miryo
I have read a book called the naked traders "how anyone can make money trading shares", will this be useful on my personal statement?

It depends on how you use it.
Reply 588
Original post by alex_hk90
It depends on how you use it.

explain please, I didn't buy it to enhance my PS but because I'm interested in the stock market and want to know how to trade to make a profit.
I went to Cambridge in April where they did a lecture on personal statements.

They told us about one economics applicant who graphically expressed how he saw economics as a woman he was madly making love to, but then went of and had affairs with other men behind his back.

From what I inferred, he didn't get in :teehee:
Original post by Miryo
explain please, I didn't buy it to enhance my PS but because I'm interested in the stock market and want to know how to trade to make a profit.

If you can use to show interest and/or understanding about an economic issue then it is fine to include it. Having not read the book myself I don't know exactly what it covers so I can't help you specifically.
Reply 591
I am an international applicant and I would like to know if it is worth to write something about the current economical situation of my country and my opinions about it on my PS. The opinion is very contrary to what is being done, will it sound pretentious?

Also, I am very interested in game theory, so I read many books and papers about it. Should I cite specific papers from famous figures (nobel laureates as Nash, Selten, Schelling and etc.) or college books(e.g. Osbourne's, Gibbon's)?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mast
I am an international applicant and I would like to know if it is worth to write something about the current economical situation of my country and my opinions about it on my PS. The opinion is very contrary to what is being done, will it sound pretentious?

Hmm that's an interesting idea, I would like to know the answer to this as well. Perhaps if it is supported by the theory or argument of someone you have read; this would make it less pretentious and more like you are applying what you have read to the real world.
(edited 11 years ago)
Has anyone read these books, and are they good to talk about on ps?
age of instability by david smith
Return of depression economics paul krugman
Also plan to read faultlines by rajan and end this depression now by paul krugman

If you’ve read any stated above what do you think of them?
Original post by printergirl
Also plan to read faultlines by rajan and end this depression now by paul krugman

bump

Unless you're mad on the financial crisis, the smith/first krugman books are fine. 'This Time Is Different' is particularly good.

Go for an area or topic you find interesting, whether that's a particular part of development econ, micro, etc, rather than general books and display your enthusiasm that way - I think that's a much better idea to come across as really wanting to do econ.
Unless you're mad on the financial crisis, the smith/first krugman books are fine. 'This Time Is Different' is particularly good.

Go for an area or topic you find interesting, whether that's a particular part of development econ, micro, etc, rather than general books and display your enthusiasm that way - I think that's a much better idea to come across as really wanting to do econ.

I've been reading an economic text book which is alevel/first year and is more mathsey is that good?
Also is sex drugs and economics aa common book? Similar to freakonmics so I shouldnt talk aabout this on my PS
I actually like the recession so is it that bad talking about those books rather than reading certain topics as u said
I've been reading an economic text book which is alevel/first year and is more mathsey is that good?
Also is sex drugs and economics aa common book? Similar to freakonmics so I shouldnt talk aabout this on my PS
I actually like the recession so is it that bad talking about those books rather than reading certain topics as u said

Don't talk about a text book unless you're going to apply it to a real life situation. For example, "I'm really interested in X area within current affairs, the interplay between Y and Z countries lead me to research further on international currency markets, and understand the differences between ABC, the microeconomic fundamentals of which, show that ___ should happen, however..."

Obviously that's hugely generalised, but the structure is better.

Yeah, avoid the pop fiction econ books.

RE the recession, it's the biggest event people are experiencing at the moment, so obviously lots of people will write about it. You want to come at it from a specific angle, or pick other interesting topics to ensure you stand out.
Original post by <(". )>
Don't talk about a text book unless you're going to apply it to a real life situation. For example, "I'm really interested in X area within current affairs, the interplay between Y and Z countries lead me to research further on international currency markets, and understand the differences between ABC, the microeconomic fundamentals of which, show that ___ should happen, however..."

Obviously that's hugely generalised, but the structure is better.

Yeah, avoid the pop fiction econ books.

RE the recession, it's the biggest event people are experiencing at the moment, so obviously lots of people will write about it. You want to come at it from a specific angle, or pick other interesting topics to ensure you stand out.

would reading 2 conflicting view on recession work? i.e. krugman's book vs causes were structural aka rajan

edit
what about idea of shortselling and laeding to concept of risk i like that and its part of recession aswell? or is that too financial ?
(edited 11 years ago)
would reading 2 conflicting view on recession work? i.e. krugman's book vs causes were structural aka rajan

edit
what about idea of shortselling and laeding to concept of risk i like that and its part of recession aswell? or is that too financial ?

The conflicting views thing is good, but you need to add your own opinion, or how it might relate to other people/the future of the world economy.

IMO, the financial part of the crisis is fairly well understood now, I wouldn't add too much on that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending