The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

University of Exeter

I’m going to be studying at the penryn campus and wanted to know if anyone has been/studied there? Is it good? I’m scared it won’t be as great as big campuses
Reply 1
bump
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Anonymous
I’m going to be studying at the penryn campus and wanted to know if anyone has been/studied there? Is it good? I’m scared it won’t be as great as big campuses

Hi :smile:
I’ve just finished a 4 year integrated masters degree on the Penryn campus. I had the same apprehension as you to begin with as I’d initially applied to Exeter’s Streatham Campus, but received an offer at Penryn. Now I can honestly say it was the best decision I’ve made and I loved every second, so much so I chose to move onto the 4 year course at the end of my second year.

I actually found the size of our campus to be a huge benefit. On a larger campus, you’re looking at class sizes of 400+, where you just become a face in a crowd. Whereas at Penryn, it’s an average 100 students. You actually get the chance to build a relationship with your lecturers, where they know you by name and face, and as a result, your strengths, weaknesses and research interests. They have a lot more time to offer their students, rather than a 5 minute scheduled office-hour appointment. This is so beneficial when it comes to things like work experience and support for dissertations, you won’t have to introduced yourself a-fresh each time you speak to them. The connections my lecturers had actually secured me a work experience place between my second and third year.

It also makes the transition period a lot less daunting, especially as due to our location you’re travelling quite from home! At a larger campus, you’re looking at 30-45 minutes between facilities, on Penryn that max is 10-15. It created such a more tight-knit community feel having everything closer and in one place.

Finally I always describe Penryn and Cornwall as being the best of both worlds. It not like going to Uni in a big city like London, but Cornwall offers equal parts night life, to hidden gems. The Stannary on campus is our canteen and student bar, and this opens up to be the biggest events hall in Cornwall (also just been expanded by 50%). We’ve had a member of JLS, Professor Green and contestants from Love island come and preform to name a few, as well as large themed parties throughout the year: space party, Halloween ball, deserted island, masked ball, you name it.

Our main student town is Falmouth where you’ll find your night club and your club-bars and your club-pubs, but also unique places like a half pub half bookshop, and a games room where you can sit and play board games or have a game of pool while drinking cocktails. But if you need that big city, Truro isn’t far away and that’s like any big city high street with still that Cornish culture flare. And then of course you have the rest of Cornwall, Lands end, Eden project, open air theatre and the numerous beaches that are literally 5 minutes’ walk from Falmouth!

I hope this helps!

Holly

University of Exeter Senior Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending