Do people actually make notes in lectures?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Do people write notes or sit there and listen? Or do they use laptops? Like what goes down?🤣
Desideri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yeah more or less everyone takes notes. Some people prefer pen and paper, others prefer to type their notes.
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Do people write notes or sit there and listen? Or do they use laptops? Like what goes down?🤣
Depends on how they learn.

Typically, yes people sit there, listen, and make notes either on their own paper or laptop.

Other times, they might just be going through given lecture notes and not writing anything. They might also had seen/read the lecture notes beforehand and hence just listen in the actual lecture, or annotate their lecture notes slightly as they go along.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi @Anonymous,

Most people do take notes in lectures, but this will depend on the degree and the way that people learn. There are always a lot of people making notes on their laptops, but some who write by hand (myself included). Others may voice-record the lecture, or for the subjects where they are recorded anyway, some do make their proper notes later. It really just depends on how you learn. Some subjects, on the other hand, may provide the main information and formulae on fact sheets (e.g. maths).

Maria
1st year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)
L.E.A.H
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I take my laptop to each session and bring up that sessions work on it so I can add notes and annotate the pages where I need to and then print it out after the session. I also use sticky notes in the lesson for the really important stuff in case my computer and memory card decides to wipe at the same time making me lose my work for that session. It has worked for my undergraduate degree so will be doing the same in my postgraduate course.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Depends on the subject and the individual's style of learning. My lectures tend to be quite discussion heavy so I'd read the lecture slides and make notes on arguments or points people were making.
University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi~!
Usually, in lectures people take different approaches, some will dedicate their entire time to writing notes and others will look like they're not even paying attention! It really depends on the person and what suits them the most. Lectures are usually about getting the content and spoken too whereas seminars are more for discussion about the content. So getting notes during the lecture and fully understanding the content is important.

I find it pretty hard to sit and listen for the entirety of the lecture so what I tend to do is use a voice recording app on my phone. I ask every lecturer beforehand if I can and once I have permission I record each lecture, it's great because it means I can listen and engage a lot more effectively and not worry about writing as much down. Then, when I get home and I am ready to study I know I won't have missed anything because I have it recorded.

A lot of Universities have a recording system in place so you might want to check to see if your University will have that too! It really is up to how you learn best though, once you figure that out you'll get into the swing of things! Don't be afraid to try different methods of taking notes because you might find one that works that you never would have guessed.

Hope I have helped in some way,
Kirsty
username5027880
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
When I was doing my degree, I most definitely took notes, to look back and refer to.
wastedcuriosity
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
My lecturers advised us all to take notes with pen and paper rather than laptops, so most people are taking notes during lectures, yes. I personally use my laptop as I'm a slow writer and a few people do the same. There's the odd person or two not taking notes

Had a week of not taking notes during lectures, and fell really behind. So my advice is to try and take at least some notes during the lecture - then you can rewrite these in more detail when you're back home
cshstudent
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I would always take notes, there's so much that the lecturer adds that isn't on the slides!
UniofReading
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey Anonymous,

Basically, at university, it's completely up to your own personal preference and how you feel that you learn best. Some people like to just sit in the lecture and not make notes and focus just on what the lecturer is saying. Others including myself like to type lecture notes on the PowerPoint slides. I personally find this way to be the most useful. I do know other people will write notes on paper or on ipads etc. Within my degree, most/ nearly all of the lectures are recorded but I know in others, people tend to record them and then write their notes in their own time over the playback.

Some people also go over the lecture slides beforehand and then use the lecture to add to their notes. It's completely on what works best for yourself, how you learn best and what you find most practical. Perhaps when you get to uni try a few different methods and I'm sure you will quickly find the method that works easiest for yourself!

Hope this helps you and let me know if you have any other questions!😊
From,

Amina
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi!!

It depends on your preferences. Whether you prefer pen and paper or laptop to take notes.

Others just listen and take everything in. Whilst others don't pay attention and talk (does are the students who get behind)

Marlena - Official Student Rep
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I print out the lecture slides beforehand (3 to a page with notes beside them)
Then write over those to expand details of cases (I do law) or highlight secondary reading links, during the lecture.
Then write more on top when I do the reading.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey,

It depends on you preference, so if you prefer writing or typing. I personally print of the lecture slides and make notes on them. However, a lot of my friends download the slides on their laptops and type their notes. It doesn't really matter as long as you keep them organised.

Good luck!

Zaira
Hol2509
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Most people take notes, some use paper, some use laptops, some voice record lectures. For me personally, I use a notebook but also have my laptop as my lecturers put lots of notes under slides which I like to read as the lecturer is speaking, and I can go back if I missed something or quickly do a google search if I don't understand a word. There are the odd 1 or 2 who don't take notes but they often regret it when it comes to essays!
Last edited by Hol2509; 2 months ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey,

So at Portsmouth, all my lecturers will upload the lecture slides either a few days before or the day before the lecture, I'll then copy them down onto my own word document of notes for each week, and then during the lecture I'll just write down the details that they actually say, because the lecture slides are usually very basic to make sure you turn up. Some people record the lecture on their phone to write down later but you would need you lecturers permission. However with covid, the lecturers had to record all their lectures, so obviously this all changes it up but you basically do the same thing just copy from a recording.

Sophie - Official Student Rep
University of Bradford
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey!

I thought this blog post might be useful for you:
5 note-taking methods all students should know

Hope this helps, and good luck for university!

Becky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.83%
I'm not sure (32)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.3%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (329)
47.89%

Watched Threads