The Student Room Group

UCAS Clearing Pages - why are they never up to date?

Why does UCAS not keep its clearing pages up to date? it lists loads of clearing courses as available when you search, but then when you click through, the university says they are all gone. What's the point of that. It helps no one.

https://www.ucas.com/clearing-launch

After all that students have been through this past week, the last thing they need is for hopes to be raised again by seeing a clearing course on their site as available, and then dashed again because UCAS can't keep their clearing listings up to date.

Message to UCAS. if you can't keep the list updated, then don't bother. It's creating more problems and stress than it helps. Just tell students to go directly to universities to check.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by MGrogan
Why does UCAS not keep its clearing pages up to date? it lists loads of clearing courses as available when you search, but then when you click through, the university says they are all gone. What's the point of that. It helps no one.

https://www.ucas.com/clearing-launch

After all that students have been through this past week, the last thing they need is for hopes to be raised again by seeing a clearing course on their site as available, and then dashed again because UCAS can't keep their clearing listings up to date.

Message to UCAS. if you can't keep the list updated, then don't bother. It's creating more problems and stress than it helps. Just tell students to go directly to universities to check.

They are very busy, dealing with hundreds of thousands of calls and thousands of places being sorted or added every day.
Double check with the uni to see if they still have it.
Two reasons:

Some universities are lazy and can’t be bothered updating their listings (ucas don’t update the pages - universities maintain their own listings).

The system for universities to keep their listings up to date is dreadful. Universities are limited to 2 logins (which in a big university is ridiculous) and the user interface is horrible and so if staff are busy doing other things or get fed up dealing with the *****y system then the listings get out of sync
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Two reasons:

Some universities are lazy and can’t be bothered updating their listings (ucas don’t update the pages - universities maintain their own listings).

The system for universities to keep their listings up to date is dreadful. Universities are limited to 2 logins (which in a big university is ridiculous) and the user interface is horrible and so if staff are busy doing other things or get fed up dealing with the *****y system then the listings get out of sync

But do you see my point about how this, of all years, can potentially cause more harm than good, with us seeing courses listed on UCAS clearing, and then find they have not been available for days? This affects mental wellbeing. And affects trust in UCAS to have the latest/best info.

If those issues you mention exist, then that's fine, but they should either sort it or decide not to try and provide listings and remove their clearing listings. No one would blame them. And I for one would rather they just list the weblinks to the universities own clearing pages, rather than mislead me by having out of date databases and listings. They don't even warn you by saying 'these listings may be out of date'. Even that would help.
Original post by MGrogan
But do you see my point about how this, of all years, can potentially cause more harm than good, with us seeing courses listed on UCAS clearing, and then find they have not been available for days? This affects mental wellbeing. And affects trust in UCAS to have the latest/best info.

If those issues you mention exist, then that's fine, but they should either sort it or decide not to try and provide listings and remove their clearing listings. No one would blame them. And I for one would rather they just list the weblinks to the universities own clearing pages, rather than mislead me by having out of date databases and listings. They don't even warn you by saying 'these listings may be out of date'. Even that would help.

The problems are mainly with universities not UCAS.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
The problems are mainly with universities not UCAS.

That's not that disimilar to Facebook saying that they are not responsible for the stuff that users put on their platform.

I think just because UCAS give universities the ability to keep info updated, they can't just wash their hands of inacuracies, and should take responsibility to make sure that the service they are promoting is accurate and fit for purpose. Or at least add some warnings so that users are fully informed that the clearing results they see using the UCAS clearing search tool could be out of date, so that users of their website do not waste their time searching the UCAS databases for clearing courses that they know may very well no longer exisit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending