How is Chemistry Taught & What Topics are in Exams?

Watch
alwaysneedadvice
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm going to be a Year 12 in September, so during the quarantine I did some revision, and tried to learn a bit of the Chemistry A-Level spec. I've noticed that the topics are split weirdly in exams for AS Level and A-Level. From what I understand, at the end of Year 12 you take the AS exams (to check your progress, ect.), and then in Year 13 you take the A-Level exams. Is that correct?

Are these topics correct?:

AS-LEVEL
Paper 1:
Physical:
3.1.1 Atomic structure
3.1.2 Amount of substance
3.1.3 Bonding
3.1.4 Energetics
(skip out 5)
3.1.6 Chemical equilibria, Le Chatelier’s principle and Kc
3.1.7 Oxidation, reduction and redox equations
+ Inorganic:
3.2.1 Periodicity
3.2.2 Group 2, the alkaline earth metals
3.2.3 Group 7(17), the halogens

Paper 2
Physical:
3.1.3 Bonding
3.1.4 Energetics
3.1.5 Kinetics
+ Organic:
3.3.1 Introduction to organic chemistry
3.3.2 Alkanes
3.3.3 Halogenoalkanes
3.3.4 Alkenes
3.3.5 Alcohols
3.3.6 Organic analysis

A-LEVEL
Paper 1:
Physical:
3.1.1 Atomic structure
3.1.3 Bonding
3.1.4 Energetics
(Skip 5)
3.1.7 Oxidation, reduction and redox equations
3.1.8 Thermodynamics (A-level only)
(Skip 9)
3.1.10 Equilibrium constant Kp for homogeneous systems (A-level only)
3.1.11 Electrode potentials and electrochemical cells (A-level only)
3.1.12 Acids and bases (A-level only)
+ All of Inorganic Topics

Paper 2:
Physical:
3.1.3 Bonding
3.1.4 Energetics
3.1.5 Kinetics
(Skip 7 & 8)
3.1.9 Rate equations (A-level only)
+ All of Organic Chemistry Topics

Paper 3: Any Topics
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by alwaysneedadvice)
I'm going to be a Year 12 in September, so during the quarantine I did some revision, and tried to learn a bit of the Chemistry A-Level spec. I've noticed that the topics are split weirdly in exams for AS Level and A-Level. From what I understand, at the end of Year 12 you take the AS exams (to check your progress, ect.), and then in Year 13 you take the A-Level exams. Is that correct?
Different exam boards have different topics. I hope you have been studying the spec that you will be learning. AS isn't thaaat different between the boards, so it won't have hurt much if you did the wrong one.

Not all (not many) schools have their students take AS exams at the end of Y12. Most students just take the three exams at the end of the course, but those exams will include content from both years of the course.
alwaysneedadvice
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Pigster)
Different exam boards have different topics. I hope you have been studying the spec that you will be learning. AS isn't thaaat different between the boards, so it won't have hurt much if you did the wrong one.

Not all (not many) schools have their students take AS exams at the end of Y12. Most students just take the three exams at the end of the course, but those exams will include content from both years of the course.
Oh sorry, I forgot to specify. My college uses AQA. I have been doing the correct exam board I was just curious because, looking at the topics that are listed on the assessment portion of the specification at a glance page, it randomly skips some topics for a paper... I was just curious if I was reading it correctly.

E.g. AS-Level Paper 1 - Relevant physical chemistry topics (sections 3.1.1 to 3.1.4, 3.1.6 and 3.1.7)
Inorganic chemistry (section 3.2.1 to 3.2.3)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (55)
28.8%
No - I have already returned home (24)
12.57%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (43)
22.51%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (18)
9.42%
No - I live at home during term anyway (51)
26.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise