I have not started my History course work

Watch
blu ranger
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How do I start and complete it? I have no idea what to write or do.

My question is "The main cause of WW1 was the aggressive policies of German regimes" Asses the validity pf this view with reference from the years 1815-1914
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by blu ranger)

My question is "The main cause of WW1 was the aggressive policies of German regimes" Asses the validity pf this view with reference from the years 1815-1914
What have you been doing for the last 4 months?
Normally when you wnat to find out about something you do resdearch, which means reading your textbook to see what happened during the period, whod did what, when and why.

You can also read articles , read other books and watch documentaries.

After you have done that you should have a grasp of the history from 1815 to the start of WW1.
You shoiuld have an idea of German policies during that period that may have contriobuted to war. Make sure your understanding si detailed and solid, more of facts and events that arent in dispute rather than opinion.

You then need to start putting this into context

You will have four trains if thought.

Train 1 is a timeline between the relevant dates containing information of events. The facts of what happened when and some why.
Train 2 is an assessment of German policies which were distinctive and are believed to have influenced causing WW1. What are the arguments as to why and how much they contributed? For example Germs support of AH. Germans attempt at expansionism and empire, Germany wishing to compete with the UK, Germany wanting to be the dominant power.
Train 3 In here you look at all the other factors that contributed to causing the war, which means events and policies of other countries.
Train 4 is your analysis, observations and opinions, where you can explore different opinions about the significance of one factor over another. This is where you make your essay unique. Its like the semi final of your essay.

Conclusion wrap it all up, show some insights and reach a conclusion over the question plus explain why and comment on the question itself.
aconstanthamlet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which exam board are you with? The best place to start would be to examine the mark scheme and know exactly what you're being marked on. I'm not sure whether all exam boards follow this but for Edexcel you need to assess the perspectives of different historians on the matter and then answer the question based on the historian's interpretations and context which supports or refutes their arguments.

IF YOU DO need to include historians' perspectives then start by finding 3 historians: one that supports the claim, one that refutes it, and one that believes that there were several causes for WW1. Then read through the sources and pick out quotes that highlight their perspectives. For each historian, find three pieces of criteria that they have used to reach their conclusion, this will be important in explaining WHY the historian holds their perspective. Organize the historians' arguments from weakest to strongest and split their arguments into sections of your essay (personally, I would leave the strongest historian until last as you can easily compare their argument to the weaker historians which you've already analyzed). Be sure to find context that supports or refutes their argument and of course, if you refute your favourite historian, make sure to explain why their argument is still the strongest. At the end of each section, you can write a mini paragraph that clearly highlights your opinion and why.

If you find you do need to use historians you'll need to find a few others that can be used to support/refute the core historians. They can be a pain to find but this will give you extra marks.

All in all, just be sure of what the exam board is looking for! History coursework is a bit of a tickbox exercise in many ways, but if you crack the mark scheme then you'll be heading for top marks.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Define "aggressive". Define "German regimes".

Look up Fritz Fischer and his critics.
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What exam board?

Start reading about the subject (hope you've done this already), look for your supporting and opposing historians, your primary and secondary sources, and then do an essay plan - what's going to be in your introduction (defining key words in your title, making it very clear what your argument is going to be, introduce some key points and answer the question), then the main body should argue why the main cause was the policies of the German regimes (or against, depends what your answer is) and then explaining two or three other causes, and arguing against (or for) these. Conclusion should reiterate the main points and clearly answer the question again
basically Jesus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

brief history of start of ww1

so 28th June 1914 Franz Ferdinand heir to the austro Hungarian throne, big empire, is killed in Bosnia, now the Austrian government is absolutely fumin to find out that some neighbouring rogue elements of Serbia’s government helped supply weapons and supplies to the assassins the black hand gang, so they decided to teach the Serbians a lesson they would never ever forget, so Austria wants to crush Serbia, but the problem was Serbia was bezzie mates with big old Russia, and they got a huge army and they aint gonna let little Serbia get pushed around, so Austria cant take on Russia on their own so they look around and they got a big ally too, Germany, most powerful army in Europe at the time, so most Germans thought well war against Russia’s inevitable, lets take them now while we got good army let’s take the advantage we got, so you got Russia and Serbia against Austria and Germany, but the Russians can’t take on the Germans alone so the Russians make a deal with the French, that if Germany has a go at them then France will get involved, so Germany makes a plan to deal with the russians and the French, and it sends most of its army too attack the French, before turning to attack the Russians, and the best way to get at the French and get it done nice and quick is to go through Belgium round the side of the French army, it’s a proper good plan except for 1 little thing, Belgium is neutral and everyone’s sworn to protect little Belgium including the british, now the problem with the british is they have the biggest empire and best army in the world it’d be silly to annoy them, but the germans take the gamble, that ah British wont bother however they forget 1 key detail, british people keep to their word for the most part and we will have a fight and an argument over just about anything, if its cream on top of jam or jam on top of cream (its cream on top of jam by the way) putting milk into a cup of tea before water or ppi sales people, we love a good fight and we aren’t going to let our little friend get pushed around, so Austria attacks Serbia, Russia stands up for Serbia then france stands up for Russia then Germany sends thousands of troops through Belgium to smash france all while dealing with the Russians, this brings Britain in, now all the europian powers are at war so they drag in the empires, Australia, Canada, india most of Africa basically all of that and eventually the whole world would be at war ottoman empire, china, middle east, the usa eventually. Basically everyone called each others bluff but found out they weren’t bluffing, the war that toppled empires, destroyed billions of peoples lives, The total number of military and civilian casualties in World War I, was around 40 million. There were 20 million deaths and 21 million wounded. The total number of deaths includes 9.7 million military personnel and about 10 million civilians, and its easy to say those numbers and think of them as numbers, however you cannot forget that each of those numbers, those people had a life, family, friends loved ones all gone, lost to time and it is imperative that we never forget their sacrifice and their stories and their mistakes so we don’t ever make them again, you can never change the past, and you never should, if its re-writing history books, tearing down statues, monuments, historical sites whatever, you should never change it as we all know war is a terrible thing that brings out the absolute worst in some and the best in others, it was called the war to end all wars, it ended absolutely nothing but it changed the world forever
blu ranger
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
What have you been doing for the last 4 months?
Normally when you wnat to find out about something you do resdearch, which means reading your textbook to see what happened during the period, whod did what, when and why.

You can also read articles , read other books and watch documentaries.

After you have done that you should have a grasp of the history from 1815 to the start of WW1.
You shoiuld have an idea of German policies during that period that may have contriobuted to war. Make sure your understanding si detailed and solid, more of facts and events that arent in dispute rather than opinion.

You then need to start putting this into context

You will have four trains if thought.

Train 1 is a timeline between the relevant dates containing information of events. The facts of what happened when and some why.
Train 2 is an assessment of German policies which were distinctive and are believed to have influenced causing WW1. What are the arguments as to why and how much they contributed? For example Germs support of AH. Germans attempt at expansionism and empire, Germany wishing to compete with the UK, Germany wanting to be the dominant power.
Train 3 In here you look at all the other factors that contributed to causing the war, which means events and policies of other countries.
Train 4 is your analysis, observations and opinions, where you can explore different opinions about the significance of one factor over another. This is where you make your essay unique. Its like the semi final of your essay.

Conclusion wrap it all up, show some insights and reach a conclusion over the question plus explain why and comment on the question itself.
Thannks so much. I have just started it and I have found this very useful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads