Low self-esteem. Should I take a gap year?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Is taking a year out to improve my mental health and self-esteem so that I take full advantage of all the opportunities available to me at university a good idea?
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
When you say 'year out' are you at uni or deferring entry for a year? If at uni, what have they advised? And it depends what you will be doing during the gap year. Don't need specifics but, if you haven't already, will you be getting professional help to improve your mental health? What else will you be doing?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Surnia)
When you say 'year out' are you at uni or deferring entry for a year? If at uni, what have they advised? And it depends what you will be doing during the gap year. Don't need specifics but, if you haven't already, will you be getting professional help to improve your mental health? What else will you be doing?
I haven't started uni. I just finished A-levels and I don't feel prepared for uni. For my gap year, I have planned travel and volunteering and paid work.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
You need to have some type of structure and direction, but I don't think it's wrong at all to take a year out if you feel you need it. With everything going on too that's totally understandable.

After uni I took a year out and did nothing because my mental health was so bad. I don't regret it at all and I think it would have hit me a lot harder later on if I just ignored things and kept pushing on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise