Access Course Applying for Cambridge? help!!!!!

Watch
HamzaD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
hey guys!! I am thinking of applying to Cambridge and doing an access course this year. On the website they do accept access course? However do you guys have any thoughts on applying to Cambridge with an access course.

Also i am thinking on applying for English
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by HamzaD)
hey guys!! I am thinking of applying to Cambridge and doing an access course this year. On the website they do accept access course? However do you guys have any thoughts on applying to Cambridge with an access course.

Also i am thinking on applying for English
I expect you will need the very highest marks. I might still consider doing A levels. Talk to admissions to see exactly where they stand in terms of access. Do you know if you are capable of that standard?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
However do you guys have any thoughts on applying to Cambridge with an access course.
Yes, do A levels, English, History and one other you will pass with an A grade.
HamzaD
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Yes, do A levels, English, History and one other you will pass with an A grade.
I don't wanna do A levels. I would like to do Access
HamzaD
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
I expect you will need the very highest marks. I might still consider doing A levels. Talk to admissions to see exactly where they stand in terms of access. Do you know if you are capable of that standard?
Thank you so much for your response. This is much appreciated.
Paralove
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
What age are you currently/have you done sixth form study already?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I don't wanna do A levels. I would like to do Access
That's fine, but you drastically reduce your chances of going to Cambridge then.
HamzaD
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
That's fine, but you drastically reduce your chances of going to Cambridge then.
Cambridge accepts Access what do you mean?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You'll need to contact the college(s) you wish to apply to with details of the specific access course you plan to take to enquire whether it is acceptable for entry to the degree programme you wish to apply to. Although they accept some access courses they do not accept all access courses, and my understanding is they can be quite picky depending what you are applying to. For STEM courses and economics I believe they state outright access courses aren't considered by themselves (and would need to be supplemented by A-level(s), probably at the least A-level Maths), while for "arts" courses they may require you to demonstrate specific background in e.g. history, modern languages or English lit equivalent to A-level standard, depending on the course you wish to apply to.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Cambridge accepts Access what do you mean?
It accepts, it doesn't say that it accepts for all courses (it doesn't), at all Colleges (it doesn't) or at equivalent rates (it most certainly doesn't). The chances of getting in to study English on the basis of an Access course are not zero, but they are very substantially closer to zero than they would be with A levels.
HamzaD
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
You'll need to contact the college(s) you wish to apply to with details of the specific access course you plan to take to enquire whether it is acceptable for entry to the degree programme you wish to apply to. Although they accept some access courses they do not accept all access courses, and my understanding is they can be quite picky depending what you are applying to. For STEM courses and economics I believe they state outright access courses aren't considered by themselves (and would need to be supplemented by A-level(s), probably at the least A-level Maths), while for "arts" courses they may require you to demonstrate specific background in e.g. history, modern languages or English lit equivalent to A-level standard, depending on the course you wish to apply to.
yh I'm applying for either History or English
PhysNobel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
They do accept an outstanding Access grade in lieu of ONE A level; but you’d still need two other A levels at grade A or A*

There are far too many applicants with 3 A* or 2xA* + 2xA at A level for the colleges to choose from / unless you’re like an older mature student.
HamzaD
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhysNobel)
They do accept an outstanding Access grade in lieu of ONE A level; but you’d still need two other A levels at grade A or A*

There are far too many applicants with 3 A* or 2xA* + 2xA at A level for the colleges to choose from / unless you’re like an older mature student.
you don't need A levels I've seen it on the website.
PhysNobel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What they say on website is regulated by the Equalities commission, what happens in reality is you have very little chance with only
Access courses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (47)
18.15%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (73)
28.19%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (98)
37.84%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (32)
12.36%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.47%

Watched Threads