S4L1BA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello everyone. My choices as of now are Biology, Chemistry and Maths.
In the future, I am looking to either do Medicine or Computing at University, so I'm thinking whether I should drop Biology and replace it with Computing A-level. I was very good at Computer Science at GCSE (predicted a 9) so it will not be completely new to me.
I have heard that only 2 sciences are needed to do medicine (which I have in chemistry and maths) so I'm wondering if I should keep my options open by doing computer science instead of Biology.
Thanks in advance
turkeydinosaur16
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by S4L1BA)
In the future, I am looking to either do Medicine or Computing at University, so I'm thinking whether I should drop Biology and replace it with Computing A-level. I was very good at Computer Science at GCSE (predicted a 9) so it will not be completely new to me.
I have heard that only 2 sciences are needed to do medicine (which I have in chemistry and maths) so I'm wondering if I should keep my options open by doing computer science instead of Biology.
Thanks in advance
Hi I do Biology, Chemistry and Maths and are also hoping to study medicine. There are a few med schools which require biology and likewise there are a few schools where you need chemistry. It's difficult if you don't have an idea about where you want to apply but if you know there's a particularly uni you might like to go to then its a good idea to look at their requirements.

If you want to keep every med school open then it might be advisable to drop maths instead of biology although I get maths might link better to computing. Another consideration is the catchup at uni. I've heard people say its not impossible to catch up the a level biology but realistically a good proportion of students on your course will have studied it (and chemistry) so you might have to work harder than others initially. I can't pretend to know a lot about computing degrees but I have a feeling you don't always need an a level in computing whereas maths is more useful.

Overall, I think either choice will keep most of your options open you just might have to apply strategically

Hope this helps
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by S4L1BA)
Thanks in advance
How many unis require Computer Science A level for a CS degree?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.82%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.45%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (37)
16.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads