The Student Room Group

Please help/advice!!!

I’m choosing to post anonymously so please don’t give me any hate about that.

So I’m going in Year 9 this September and I just recently turned 13. I’m sure you’ve probably heard these kind of things all over tsr , I have to but I didn’t think it would be an issue for me.

So I just turned 13 and my parents sat down and said I have to wear a scarf over my chest because they think when a girl gets boobs she should cover them. Yeah I get modesty and stuff it’s not like I wear short shorts and a crop top anywhere. And I’m pretty sure they’re gonna make wear a hijab when I’m like in year 10 or something but I don’t want to because I don’t believe in the concept or reason of wearing a hijab. And I’m pretty sure if I told them I want to do something not STEM or STEAM related when I’m older like philosophy, art, RS or psychology or whatever they would probably kick me out the house.

Recently my mum or dad keep asking what I want to be when I’m older I just say I’m not sure yet then they’re like inshallah my daughter is going to be a GP or a doctor bc my dad is one and tbh I am not interested in anything like that.

Especially in lockdown I feel really pressurized, I can’t really talk to my friends bc I don’t have a phone and I honestly feel like I have no say in what goes on in my life.

Also whenever I do something not up to their expectations like if they say to put my glasses on the coffee table in the living room and I just put them on the rack in my glasses case they say things like ‘how will we find a husband for her’ , ‘what will her husband say’ , ‘your husband will hit you and I’m just thinking WTF I’m 13 what is wrong with you. But if I said anything like that then I would just get shouted at for ages.

Thanks for reading this I know it’s quite long but I felt like I needed to tell someone what’s going on in my life.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m choosing to post anonymously so please don’t give me any hate about that.

So I’m going in Year 9 this September and I just recently turned 13. I’m sure you’ve probably heard these kind of things all over tsr , I have to but I didn’t think it would be an issue for me.

So I just turned 13 and my parents sat down and said I have to wear a scarf over my chest because they think when a girl gets boobs she should cover them. Yeah I get modesty and stuff it’s not like I wear short shorts and a crop top anywhere. And I’m pretty sure they’re gonna make wear a hijab when I’m like in year 10 or something but I don’t want to because I don’t believe in the concept or reason of wearing a hijab. And I’m pretty sure if I told them I want to do something not STEM or STEAM related when I’m older like philosophy, art, RS or psychology or whatever they would probably kick me out the house.

Recently my mum or dad keep asking what I want to be when I’m older I just say I’m not sure yet then they’re like inshallah my daughter is going to be a GP or a doctor bc my dad is one and tbh I am not interested in anything like that.

Especially in lockdown I feel really pressurized, I can’t really talk to my friends bc I don’t have a phone and I honestly feel like I have no say in what goes on in my life.

Also whenever I do something not up to their expectations like if they say to put my glasses on the coffee table in the living room and I just put them on the rack in my glasses case they say things like ‘how will we find a husband for her’ , ‘what will her husband say’ , ‘your husband will hit you and I’m just thinking WTF I’m 13 what is wrong with you. But if I said anything like that then I would just get shouted at for ages.

Thanks for reading this I know it’s quite long but I felt like I needed to tell someone what’s going on in my life.

+1 legitimate use of anonymous.
Tbh you are quite young for a TSR poster.

There are still plenty of threads like this.

1. Learn to be a good daughter by listening and smiling at your parents, but if you disagree then ignore and let it drift away.
2.Others can tell you how to deal with hijab issues, but its likely you will have to comply although they might compromise.
3. The aim is not to cause arguments or confrontations till you are ready to go to uni. as they could kick you out before then and assume youd rather not go down the whole estrangement journey.
4. Find a teacher you cna confide in and talk to the careers master. GCSE should have enough flexibility to disguise what you take, although imo take what you are good at and not stem if you dont like it or arent good enough.
5. Consider failing or doing just ok with stem and stronger in your chosen subjects. Not everyone can become a doctor.
6. The challenge is when it comes to A level choices. In that way get teachers and careers on your side plus perform strongly in A levels for another career based on your strongest subjects. They might realise you wont succeed for medicine and consider other careers acceptable i.e Law.
7. If you get really good A levels then you could get into a good uni and that might placate them.
8. Do the degree you want by eliminating yourself from other choices.

Bear your journey in mind and dont lose hope. You need your parents whilst living under their roof.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending