The Student Room Group

Fear of Summer 2021 A-levels being cancelled

I feel like I can't do the Autumn exams because I'm nowhere near prepared so I wanted to take the Summer exams next year because I feel like I'll get better results but at this point in time I'm just so lost. People are saying both the autumn and summer exams will be cancelled and I'll never get the A-levels I need to enter Uni.

Does anyone know if the government is going to do something with the summer 2021 exams? Surely they can't repeat this process again next year where they allow the teachers to determine the grades as it's incredibly flawed with teacher bias and so forth.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm in the exact same situation. I feel so lost.
Reply 2
Original post by skidj
I feel like I can't do the Autumn exams because I'm nowhere near prepared so I wanted to take the Summer exams next year because I feel like I'll get better results but at this point in time I'm just so lost. People are saying both the autumn and summer exams will be cancelled and I'll never get the A-levels I need to enter Uni.

Does anyone know if the government is going to do something with the summer 2021 exams? Surely they can't repeat this process again next year where they allow the teachers to determine the grades as it's incredibly flawed with teacher bias and so forth.

I think the government has said that there will be changes but they haven't been confirmed yet
Don't think what other people say and continue preparing and planning like you intend. Most importantly, don't worry. If you work hard you will get what you deserve. Good luck.
Original post by Untitled999999
I think the government has said that there will be changes but they haven't been confirmed yet

I wouldn’t trust a single word this government says. Whatever they say they’d do a U-turn 24hrs later.
Reply 6
Original post by NK11AN

:frown: glad i'm not alone. I've been trying not to cry but I read a few articles online and ofqual said that they will either spread the exams from may to july or they'll use this system again. I don't know what I'm doing with my life anymore. I hope they take us into consideration unlike what they did to retakers this year. I wish they set exams for only retakers because there's usually a small handful of them.

The autumn exam isn't exactly risk-free either, it's predicted that by autumn we will have our second spike in cases which is predicted to be the highest spike compared to our first.
Reply 7
Original post by Untitled999999

I really hope they MEAN IT when they say they'll change it. Unlike what they did a day before A-level results day where they promised to change it but it wasn't good enough and took like 4 days after results day to make it slightly more feasible. :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by skidj
:frown: glad i'm not alone. I've been trying not to cry but I read a few articles online and ofqual said that they will either spread the exams from may to july or they'll use this system again. I don't know what I'm doing with my life anymore. I hope they take us into consideration unlike what they did to retakers this year. I wish they set exams for only retakers because there's usually a small handful of them.

The autumn exam isn't exactly risk-free either, it's predicted that by autumn we will have our second spike in cases which is predicted to be the highest spike compared to our first.

Dont worry we'll get through this
Original post by skidj

Same, I'm taking exams in 2021 and I feel so lost. Lockdown messed me up, I don't wanna go through another one :c
I’m in the same boat I’m so confused on what to do
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous69420
Same, I'm taking exams in 2021 and I feel so lost. Lockdown messed me up, I don't wanna go through another one :c

Original post by Farhana001
I’m in the same boat I’m so confused on what to do

Thank god. I'm really happy I'm not alone in this :frown: I feel like an utter failure and regret not trying my best throughout the year
Reply 12
Original post by skidj
Thank god. I'm really happy I'm not alone in this :frown: I feel like an utter failure and regret not trying my best throughout the year

What's done is done. We cant be like "if only I had done this or that." There are a few of us in this together and as long as we keep our train of thought clear I think it'll be easier for us to find the perfect route to our desired future. Btw what a levels did you take?
Reply 13
Original post by NK11AN
What's done is done. We cant be like "if only I had done this or that." There are a few of us in this together and as long as we keep our train of thought clear I think it'll be easier for us to find the perfect route to our desired future. Btw what a levels did you take?

I took Biology, Psychology and Maths wbu?
Reply 14
Original post by skidj
I took Biology, Psychology and Maths wbu?

I took bio chem and maths
Reply 15
Original post by NK11AN
I took bio chem and maths

brehhh lemme guess.. you want to do medicine?? :')
The only way they will cancel autumn and summer exams is if there’s another outbreak, and even then I doubt they will because they will surely want to avoid this mess again and, cases are already rising with some local lockdowns but the government is still insisting on schools fully reopening and opening up more non essential retail. Matter of fact is we’re in a recession and the government has ****ed up too much this year with a-levels. They will definitely want to avoid mass outcry again and we as a country aren’t in the financial position to be in another lockdown again.
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous17!
The only way they will cancel autumn and summer exams is if there’s another outbreak, and even then I doubt they will because they will surely want to avoid this mess again and, cases are already rising with some local lockdowns but the government is still insisting on schools fully reopening and opening up more non essential retail. Matter of fact is we’re in a recession and the government has ****ed up too much this year with a-levels. They will definitely want to avoid mass outcry again and we as a country aren’t in the financial position to be in another lockdown again.

But there's definitely going to be another spike in cases autumn-winter seasons?? Not only that but I read an article regarding the autumn exams and it contained this D: :

"“The priority is making sure that current students all go back to school in September,” said Hannafin. “Schools need to utilise every space they’ve got to try to keep year-group bubbles and mixing to a minimum. The idea that they could take their hall out of action and keep meeting the needs of current students is just unreasonable.”

Three-quarters of headteachers also said that it would be a challenge to effectively support the academic and wellbeing needs of their current cohorts of students alongside extra autumn exams.

“The logistics of dealing with social distancing and bubbles is going to be so significant that the thought of also trying to run a complete exam season in the winter months, when the Covid virus is most likely to resurface, feels very, very misguided,” said Barton. He points out that a cough in the week of the exams could force a young person to isolate and miss their chance to improve their grade, disrupting even their life further. “It just raises questions about an education system which is so utterly reliant on an examination process and isn’t prepared to trust its teachers and isn’t resilient.”"
If we had a competent government then exams could be sat in May or June 2021. Even if all other schooling had to stop for a short period.

I understand the concerns as we do not have a competent government.
Reply 19
Original post by skidj
brehhh lemme guess.. you want to do medicine?? :')

Actual no I wanted to do pharmacology, what did you want to do?

Quick Reply

Latest