LegsEleven17
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi TSR!
I really want to do either Theatre studies or film production at university. Is it a bad idea to apply to a mix and address both in the personal statement? Or should I just apply to one? If so, which one is better?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes it’s a bad idea to apply to both. If you got offers for both you would still have to pick one to study eventually. Better to do that before you apply instead of weakening your application by looking undedicated.

Often writing a PS for each subject will help you work out which you prefer.
LegsEleven17
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Yes it’s a bad idea to apply to both. If you got offers for both you would still have to pick one to study eventually. Better to do that before you apply instead of weakening your application by looking undedicated.

Often writing a PS for each subject will help you work out which you prefer.
Yeah I guess you’re right... thanks for replying
Munir Adekunle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It's not a bad idea to apply to a mix because when you do theatre studies, you will be able to participate in films and when you do film production, you will be the producer for the film you participate in so it will reduce the money you will spent on both and this will increase your profit
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Munir Adekunle)
It's not a bad idea to apply to a mix because when you do theatre studies, you will be able to participate in films and when you do film production, you will be the producer for the film you participate in so it will reduce the money you will spent on both and this will increase your profit
You can’t study both
SAE Institute Staff
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Both are great options, but it might be useful to make a decision before you apply via UCAS so that you can get up to five offers in the area you want to study. I would recommend making yourself a pros/cons table for each subject. Think about different aspects of a degree course, such as practical experience opportunities, employability prospects, graduate salaries, and then think about which part of the country (or world) you want to work in - are there a lot of opportunities near you? The best thing to do is to attend a University Open Event (a lot of these are currently taking place online because of the pandemic) - this will give you the chance to meet the lecturers, learn more about the course content, and get a feel for whether that institution is the best place for you to study. If you are interested in learning more about Digital Film Production courses at SAE, click here: https://www.sae.edu/gbr/film
LegsEleven17
Rep:
?
(Original post by BethKirkbride)
Both are great options, but it might be useful to make a decision before you apply via UCAS so that you can get up to five offers in the area you want to study. I would recommend making yourself a pros/cons table for each subject. Think about different aspects of a degree course, such as practical experience opportunities, employability prospects, graduate salaries, and then think about which part of the country (or world) you want to work in - are there a lot of opportunities near you? The best thing to do is to attend a University Open Event (a lot of these are currently taking place online because of the pandemic) - this will give you the chance to meet the lecturers, learn more about the course content, and get a feel for whether that institution is the best place for you to study. If you are interested in learning more about Digital Film Production courses at SAE, click here: https://www.sae.edu/gbr/film
Thank you so much this is really helpful!
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by LegsEleven17)
Hi TSR!
I really want to do either Theatre studies or film production at university. Is it a bad idea to apply to a mix and address both in the personal statement? Or should I just apply to one? If so, which one is better?
Hi LegsEleven17
Have you considered studying a joint honours course? If you really love both of these subjects you might be able to combine them in a course that matches your interests.
I've done a search on UCAS for 'film production and theatre' and it's returned a lot of options. Some seem less relevant, but there are plenty which you could be interested in, just click here to access it.

We offer a Film and Theatre course at Reading. It's approximately 50% practical and 50% theoretical, so you get the best of both worlds! But, as you have said Film Production, I'm guessing you may be more interested in something that is just practical?
I've got a couple of friends who studied within our Department of Film, Theatre and Television and they had a great time as there is a really active student community. One was the President of the drama society (which anyone can take part in, but as you can imagine is popular among Theatre students) and they hosted loads of plays and even took some to the Edinburgh fringe to perform.
Another friend who studied Film, got her final year film screened in an international film festival which was amazing!

If you've got any questions, let me know!
Dan
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yeah I guess you’re right... thanks for replying
If you're hoping to work in film then the best courses are those offered by CILECT member film schools:
https://www.cilect.org/profiles/members/235/4
martin7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi TSR!
Bristol do a BA Theatre and Film course which might suit you:

About BA Theatre and Film

This joint honours degree combines historical and theoretical study with practice-based investigations of theatre, film and television. There are opportunities to engage with industry professionals and to use our museum-accredited archive, the Theatre Collection.
source:
https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...-theatre-film/

It would be worth looking at the course structure on that site (as with any other course at any other university) to see if it suits your interests. In particular, look at the balance of theoretical/practical options.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (525)
33.76%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (643)
41.35%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (315)
20.26%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.63%

Watched Threads