Spring Placements and Summer Interns Watch

This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Does anybody have any experiences to share with regard to spring placements and summer internships (particularly in the first year)? I'm just curious, how did you come to apply? Was it advertised or did you just write to them? What was your background (ie. uni, grades etc). I have a feeling my director of studies might predict me a 2:2, obviously they'd expect a 2:1 or better. Where does this leave me? If they're far away from you (e.g. London), where did you live during them? Would it be completely infeasible to apply for a placement in the US?

Regards, Alex.
tash087
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Does anybody have any experiences to share with regard to spring placements and summer internships (particularly in the first year)? I'm just curious, how did you come to apply? Was it advertised or did you just write to them? What was your background (ie. uni, grades etc). I have a feeling my director of studies might predict me a 2:2, obviously they'd expect a 2:1 or better. Where does this leave me? If they're far away from you (e.g. London), where did you live during them? Would it be completely infeasible to apply for a placement in the US?

Regards, Alex.
I suppose, it depends on what kind of area you're looking for an internship/placement in? (i.e. Accounting, Law etc)

My brother applied for some summer internships/work placements at the Big 4 firms for Accountancy (he studied Economics at Birmingham University). From what i know, he looked on their websites and then wrote to them. He got placements at PwC and KPMG. I think they would be expecting a 2:1 but my brother has never been the world's best student, yet he was offered a contract with KPMG on condition of him gaining a 2:2 in his finals. So even with a 2:2 anything is possible.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by tash087)
I suppose, it depends on what kind of area you're looking for an internship/placement in? (i.e. Accounting, Law etc)

My brother applied for some summer internships/work placements at the Big 4 firms for Accountancy (he studied Economics at Birmingham University). From what i know, he looked on their websites and then wrote to them. He got placements at PwC and KPMG. I think they would be expecting a 2:1 but my brother has never been the world's best student, yet he was offered a contract with KPMG on condition of him gaining a 2:2 in his finals. So even with a 2:2 anything is possible.
Thank you very much. Have some rep. I don't know what I want to apply for. I'm doing maths, so investment banking is an obvious route to check out. However, I'm quite frankly sick of visiting websites and reading jargon, "we like to challenge ourselves, do YOU?" If I can't get excited over investment banking it may well not be for me. Right now I think the most inviting thing I've seen for this summer is www.campamerica.co.uk. If I did want to get into financial services after I graduate, do you think they would regard campamerica as a good way to spend a summer?

Lex
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thank you very much. Have some rep. I don't know what I want to apply for. I'm doing maths, so investment banking is an obvious route to check out. However, I'm quite frankly sick of visiting websites and reading jargon, "we like to challenge ourselves, do YOU?" If I can't get excited over investment banking it may well not be for me. Right now I think the most inviting thing I've seen for this summer is www.campamerica.co.uk. If I did want to get into financial services after I graduate, do you think they would regard campamerica as a good way to spend a summer?

Lex
I have a brochure from them sitting in my kitchen right niw actually! (haven't opened it though :rolleyes: )
tash087
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Lex
No problem. I think my also brother got sick and tired of the trawl through websites and prospectuses (he got so fed up, he passed me all the brochures and asked me what i thought he should apply for. The funny thing is, i told him what to apply for at KPMG and in the end, that was where he ended up! ) If you're not too keen on investment banking, have you thought about accountancy or actuary? If you're not too sure what area you want to work in, why don't you try to get some work placements in different kinds of firms.
It's always good for your CV later on to say that you've had some kind of experience. I think my brother was looking at investment banks as well as accountancy firms. Come to think of it, he had a placement at Deutsche Bank in addition to KPMG and PwC.

I don't think that Camp America would be a bad thing... It would show future employers all the skills that other types of job would give you, e.g commitment, helping people, teamwork etc. What year at uni are you in? If you're still in your 1st year, there'll still be time after this summer for you to do placements. One word of advice (i don't know if other companies are like this) but my brother got a placement at KPMG and so when he applied for a contract, he was skipped straight to the second round of interviews. I think his placement must've went some way in their decision to offer him a contract on condition of obtaining a 2:2 in finals instead of the normal expectation of 2:1. (I can't think of any other reason to offer him such a low offer, as he hasn't really the best academic record!) So a placement may always help you later on!!!
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I know a few banks offer 'taster' spring weeks for first years. But you really don't need to worry about securing a formal placement/internship at a reputable company in your 1st year. Just get a 'normal' job, e.g. in retail or a call centre, and get a 2.1 in your 1st year exams and you'll have a good chance of getting an internship in your 2nd year.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
No problem. I think my also brother got sick and tired of the trawl through websites and prospectuses (he got so fed up, he passed me all the brochures and asked me what i thought he should apply for. The funny thing is, i told him what to apply for at KPMG and in the end, that was where he ended up! ) If you're not too keen on investment banking, have you thought about accountancy or actuary?
Thought about it. Doesn't appeal to me to be honest.

If you're not too sure what area you want to work in, why don't you try to get some work placements in different kinds of firms.
It's always good for your CV later on to say that you've had some kind of experience.
Aha this is true.

I think my brother was looking at investment banks as well as accountancy firms. Come to think of it, he had a placement at Deutsche Bank in addition to KPMG and PwC
Wow. Which years do he does this in out of interest?

I don't think that Camp America would be a bad thing... It would show future employers all the skills that other types of job would give you, e.g commitment, helping people, teamwork etc. What year at uni are you in?
Well yeah I'd like to spend some time in America more than anything else. Ideally doing something directly relating to a career, but failing that camp america sounds enjoyable. I'd be doing it for different reasons I suppose.

If you're still in your 1st year, there'll still be time after this summer for you to do placements. One word of advice (i don't know if other companies are like this) but my brother got a placement at KPMG and so when he applied for a contract, he was skipped straight to the second round of interviews. I think his placement must've went some way in their decision to offer him a contract on condition of obtaining a 2:2 in finals instead of the normal expectation of 2:1. (I can't think of any other reason to offer him such a low offer, as he hasn't really the best academic record!) So a placement may always help you later on!!!
I see. I am in my first year yes. I'm not too worried about the grade right now, I reckon I can get myself predicted a 2:1/1st by say end of the first year, but I've been pretty silly in my first term. Not too worried about that though. I just reckon that if my director of studies was to write me a reference right now it'd include a 2.2 prediction.

Can I also ask, where did your brother live whilst doing placements?

Regards, Lex.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jools)
I know a few banks offer 'taster' spring weeks for first years. But you really don't need to worry about securing a formal placement/internship at a reputable company in your 1st year. Just get a 'normal' job, e.g. in retail or a call centre, and get a 2.1 in your 1st year exams and you'll have a good chance of getting an internship in your 2nd year.
I see. Thanks. I'm not familiar with what I need to be doing/when at all! Would you recommend the taster spring weeks for somebody who is not really committed to that kind of career at all. I see that JP Morgan has one.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I see. Thanks. I'm not familiar with what I need to be doing/when at all! Would you recommend the taster spring weeks for somebody who is not really committed to that kind of career at all. I see that JP Morgan has one.
If you're looking at a 'blue chip' City job, then in your first year make sure you get at least a 2.1, and do a summer job - like I said anything will do really. Do a bit of stuff outside your degree, especially in your 2nd year, anything that gives you an 'edge' or makes you stand out. In your 2nd year figure out what you want to do, and apply for summer internships - doing things like a JPMorgan taster are great in showing you whether you like that industry or not. If you don't know what you want to do, apply to a broad range of sectors. Then get a summer internship, do well in it, get a full-time job offer at the end of it for when you graduate (this is assuming you're doing a 3 year course; if 4 year then do the internship in your 3rd year). Also note that if you have experience (even if it's just 1 week) at a reputable company like JPMorgan that'll stand you in good stead for applying to other sectors.
tash087
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Wow. Which years do he does this in out of interest?
He did his summer internship at PwC in Sydney, Australia at the end of his 1st year. He did the ones at KPMG and Deutsche Bank in the summer of his 2nd year. Then he applied for a contract in his 3rd year...

I see. I am in my first year yes. I'm not too worried about the grade right now, I reckon I can get myself predicted a 2:1/1st by say end of the first year, but I've been pretty silly in my first term. Not too worried about that though. I just reckon that if my director of studies was to write me a reference right now it'd include a 2.2 prediction.

Can I also ask, where did your brother live whilst doing placements?
In Australia, he had university friends and some relations whom he stayed with... but for KPMG and Deutsche, since our family home is 30 mins by train from London, he lived at home. However i'm sure that when giving internships the firms will probably try to help you find some accommodation if necessary!
[/QUOTE]
fishpaste
Rep:
?
He did his summer internship at PwC in Sydney, Australia at the end of his 1st year. He did the ones at KPMG and Deutsche Bank in the summer of his 2nd year. Then he applied for a contract in his 3rd year...

In Australia, he had university friends and some relations whom he stayed with... but for KPMG and Deutsche, since our family home is 30 mins by train from London, he lived at home. However i'm sure that the when giving internships the firms will probably try to help you find some accommodation if necessary!
Cool. How did he get a placement in Sydney? Did he just write to the Sydney office?
tash087
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Cool. How did he get a placement in Sydney? Did he just write to the Sydney office?
I believe he just wrote in... Actually he's there at the moment on holiday (lucky him!) and some of the people who he met on his internship have taken him around (it's always good to have contacts!)
Jump
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I believe he just wrote in... Actually he's there at the moment on holiday (lucky him!) and some of the people who he met on his internship have taken him around (it's always good to have contacts!)
Out of curiousity, which course(and uni) did your brother do?
tash087
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
Out of curiousity, which course(and uni) did your brother do?
He did straight Economics at Birmingham University
JennLlama
  • CV Helper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you've got any contacts (e.g. friends of parents) who work somewhere you think you might like, it could be worth talking to them. I applied to a few places in first year (engineering and computing companies) and they all told me they didn't take first years. However then I applied to BAE Systems where my dad works and he asked someone at the company directly if they would take me on - and that's how I got a job for last summer!
Jenn xx
mangomaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
goldman sachs have a first year easter taster thing as well. just go for it to see whether ur interested in the industry or not!
i dont like how they dont hav anything really in the summer for first years.. i dont want my summer to go to waste like last year!
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mangomaz)
goldman sachs have a first year easter taster thing as well. just go for it to see whether ur interested in the industry or not!
i dont like how they dont hav anything really in the summer for first years.. i dont want my summer to go to waste like last year!
Whilst they don't offer formal work for 1st years, you can get a back office job through temping agencies. It's basically numbercrunching in the Operations division, nothing too exciting, but pay is great (£14/hr at Credit Suisse) and you get prestigious names in your Work Exp.
Aylia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Whilst they don't offer formal work for 1st years, you can get a back office job through temping agencies. It's basically numbercrunching in the Operations division, nothing too exciting, but pay is great (£14/hr at Credit Suisse) and you get prestigious names in your Work Exp.

Which temp agencies do you think you could go through? I live just outside London and the agencies in my town are useless, so I'd have to find one or a branch of one in London somewhere I assume?
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Have applied for a position with the GB Team at the World University Games in Turkey this August.
ThePants999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm a bit late, but to the original poster: if you're desperate to work in America for a summer, try Bunac's Work America programme. Not too dissimilar to Camp America, but a wide variety of jobs you can apply to rather than just camps. You might find something interesting.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (130)
46.43%
Pro-humanity (150)
53.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise