libbyab
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
so I want to apply to do medicine at university but my CAG's are BBC. obviously I can't get in with these grades. I was planning to resit year 13 and sit the 2021 exams but my school isn't letting me because I've "completed my A level studies and passed". I don't know what to do next? I can't sit them in October and I can't do the exams as a private candidate
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by libbyab)
so I want to apply to do medicine at university but my CAG's are BBC. obviously I can't get in with these grades. I was planning to resit year 13 and sit the 2021 exams but my school isn't letting me because I've "completed my A level studies and passed". I don't know what to do next? I can't sit them in October and I can't do the exams as a private candidate
Schools don't get any funding for students to re-take Year 13 in those circumstances so it's no surprise they won't teach you for free. Why can't you sit them in October and why can't you sit them as a private candidate?
Last edited by Compost; 9 months ago
libbyab
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
Schools don't get any funding for students to re-sit Year 13 in those circumstances so it's no surprise they won't teach you for free. Why can't you sit them in October and why can't you sit them as a private candidate?
our college has had quite a few people resit though in my year I knew 6 people who were resitting. I was revising maths because that was the subject I knew I was going to have to sit the exam for but I thought I was going to get As for biology and chemistry. I can't study for the ucat, bmat, do work experience, possibly do the sat and revise 2 years worth of 3 subjects within 2 months.
As for sitting as a private candidate, we didn't get through the curriculum in any of the subjects, and I feel as if I need teachers because I won't be able to get the grades alone after not revising for 6 months. im also worried if something similar happens next year because the private candidates this year were so messed up
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Assuming you're not 19 before 31 Aug you should be able to find a school/college who will take you in to repeat year 13 but you're going to need to ring round. There's no compunction for your current school to do so I'm afraid.

Alternatives are - accept the fact that you've really left everything very late and prune your workload down to the bare minimum of UCAT and retakes in Oct.
Or take control of your own learning and plan out your year (perhaps with extra online tutoring if you can afford it) and sit the Alevels in June.
username3978178
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
u can apply as a foundation student or juss explain to the unis ur situation or take the exams outside maybe
Last edited by username3978178; 9 months ago
libbyab
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2500_2)
Assuming you're not 19 before 31 Aug you should be able to find a school/college who will take you in to repeat year 13 but you're going to need to ring round. There's no compunction for your current school to do so I'm afraid.

Alternatives are - accept the fact that you've really left everything very late and prune your workload down to the bare minimum of UCAT and retakes in Oct.
Or take control of your own learning and plan out your year (perhaps with extra online tutoring if you can afford it) and sit the Alevels in June.
ive had a look but none of the schools in my town do the same exam boards so the content would be different so im trying hard to convince my college.
I haven't really left anything late, my teachers implied I'd be getting A's so when I actually got B's it was completely unexpected. the ucat, bmat and sat are just coincidentally at a similar time.
im just worried about sitting it as a private candidate with the way they were treated in this situation
libbyab
Rep:
?
(Original post by studybuddy1302)
u can apply as a foundation student or juss explain to the unis ur situation or take the exams outside maybe
my grades are too low even for a foundation course. if I take the exams outside of college I just know I won't do as well and if a similar thing happens with next years entry I won't have any teachers to predict me grades or anything
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads